Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wheely bin plastic

Wheely bin plastic

cuts.jpgPeeps.

New bait tank.

whats everyones ideas on cutting the corners down to the taped line and bending 90Deg to give me a lip Would a heat gun get enough heat into the plastic to bend?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Wheely bin plastic

Should do Wayno. Never tried wheely bin plastic but have done plenty of other types. I know polycraft used to promote using a heat gun to "repair" any scratches - think they are made of the same stuff.

It will be tedious but easily doable.
    You might want to make up a jig to fold the edge over as the plastic will deform badly once the temp gets hot enough.
    That plastic is very easy to work with.
    Jack.

You will probably have to put a cut in the corners, unless you can get enough wide spread heat to kind of remould a decent section at a time, concentrated heat will be very hard to control the soft material.

Perhaps make a temporary internal frame out of timber to try and keep some shape through the process

Ive knocked up a few different thing out of purspex using jigs so I was thinking some sort of jig and try and concentrate the heat on the bend line..

Currently doing same job so would like to see how you plumb it up, I already have a marine ply box glassed in close to the rear that the old man used just for handline storage and fitted a 100l wheelie bin from Bunnings in it, had an acrylic lid made to fit over box and screwed a storage hatch into lid!

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

I'd love to see some pic's of both these when done, I too have to come up with live bait tank ideas.

Wayno bend the plastic cold and hold it to the shape u want than heat along the bend this way would be far easier than heating the bend and trying to manage the melting plastic and hold it all to shape otherwise it would be all over the place

u can start a small wood fire and heat the tip of a stainless steel butter knife to crease the bend

bend the plastic cold

Bud wont it crack?

BAIT TANK.png
    Guys,
    Quick version

Attachment 115848

Water in from exterinally fitted bilge pump, in thru the inlet.

Water fills to the overflow pipe and drains out the back of the boat.

Drain pipe at the bottom of the tank has a tap on it so when needed I can drain the whole tank after a nights fishing.

Points.... make sure that the over flow/out pipe is larger than the inlet, as the in water is pumped in under pressure and the out relies on gravity.

Also inlet should be above the outlet, if below when you turn off the pump it will create a syphon effect and empty the tank down to what ever level that pipe enters the tank.

Quote Originally Posted by wayno60 View Post
    BAIT TANK.png
    Guys,
    Quick version

Attachment 115848

Water in from exterinally fitted bilge pump, in thru the inlet.

Water fills to the overflow pipe and drains out the back of the boat.

Drain pipe at the bottom of the tank has a tap on it so when needed I can drain the whole tank after a nights fishing.

Points.... make sure that the over flow/out pipe is larger than the inlet, as the in water is pumped in under pressure and the out relies on gravity.

Also inlet should be above the outlet, if below when you turn off the pump it will create a syphon effect and empty the tank down to what ever level that pipe enters the tank.
    Thanks mate, I was looking at using one of these instead of the traditional bilge out the back, not sure if a good idea or not

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

How many LPH..

I had one like that, that I was going to use for a deck wash, but it was very noisey.

Approx 15 lpm, noise was a concern for me too

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

All noted, thanks for the sketch and pointers
    C