Thread: Etec owners only please

Etec owners only please

Hi Etecs OWNERS (if you get what I mean), I am seriously considering going a Etec 30. I have 2s motorcycles a enjoy them and I go fast enough to not get covered in smoke.
    My only concern is the fumes while you troll down wind. I am guessing that the oil/fuel ratio would make them acceptable.
    Do you find the odour unpleasant or insignificant.
    Cheers, Col.
    Col

Re: Etec owners only please

You can tell it's there at times. They still in my opinion oil up a little - nothing like a "traditional" two stroke in that it will quite happily do 8 hours at idle towing live baits but has a stumble for a second or so when you give it the beans until the oil burns off. Personally I prefer the smell of the old school oil over the XD100 but it's not bad enough to worry myself. All that said mine is a 2006 model. There have been changes to injectors and mapping since.

Portacol, I had an Etec 30 on a Quintrex Busta. I bought it new and must admit it was a great motor. Fumes were never a problem so much so that I can hardly recall a tme that I noticed them in the 50 hours that I put on it last year. The only reason I sold it was to rationalise my two boats into on, so I bought one that could do both things I wanted. Cheers Winston.

Thanks scottar,

after reading your reply and giving it some more thought I will go for the Etec. My concern was based on being on boats with carby 2s running more oil.I did manage to find the fuel/oil ratio and it runs less oil than my hedge trimmer and that doesn't bother me.
    2006 model, are you still using it and if so have you had a good run with it?

Cheers, Col.
    Col

I ran an etec 30 on my last little barra boat. Lovely motor and never any oil smell issue. Liked that , running only 1 battery, if I ran it down using electric it was an easy motor to pull start, or had the electric start and trim tilt option. Best little motor I ever owned.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Haven't tried a 30, but I do have a 130 which has been very good to me. No fumes out of the 130, always starts first time, very quiet and a lot of grunt. I've also had 4 strokes for years, besides the 2 stroke torque advantage it's hard to pick them apart in most other aspects. The one thing about ETECs though is that sometimes in certain temperatures they will emit steam at low speed or coming off plane, some people mistake it for smoke, but it's just water vapour.

Quote Originally Posted by Portacol View Post
    Thanks scottar,

after reading your reply and giving it some more thought I will go for the Etec. My concern was based on being on boats with carby 2s running more oil.I did manage to find the fuel/oil ratio and it runs less oil than my hedge trimmer and that doesn't bother me.
    2006 model, are you still using it and if so have you had a good run with it?

Cheers, Col.
    Yep. It's a 200HO on the back of a Seafarer Victory. Recently had a repair done to rectify some lower engine mount issues (that cost me more because I knew it was coming and ignored it) and had an issue a couple of trips after I purchased it that was rectified with a standard service and change of spark plugs. Been a pretty good ownership experience thus far. Has always started first turn of the key and to date has never left me stranded. I suspect that in something like my rig the chances of getting a whiff of fumes will be higher than in an open boat. Main things to look out for are good fuel (make sure you get a good filter/water separator fitted) and to make sure it's propped right (achieving the required WOT RPM) through use of a tacho or computer hookup.

Got a 90 etec tiller on a 4.5m and I don't recall smelling the oil smell, on one of our larger boats you can get a whiff of the 2 stroke smell on our 150 at certain times but that's mainly because it is a half cab and gets stuck in the cabin.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    560c Bar Crusher "Overtime"

Same as Davidson, got a 130 etec and just to give another example, going through the lock with another boat (yeah I know... supposed to go through one at a time) the other boat crew thought it was a 4 stroke as no oil smells and no typical two stroke clatter even in the relatively confined area of the lock.
    Also trolls with no complaints. All round I have been pleasantly surprised with the performance and reliability I have got out of the Evinrude and I have had it long enough now not to give a rats a@%e about what the knockers will bleat about resale..

I had a 25 for a few years. Great little engine and no fumes.

Got 50 etec never had any fumes whatsoever! Great motor

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ausfish Bronze Member

Hey mate, I might be a bit late on this one. I had a 75 e-tec I repowered my renegade with, bought second hand from a good mate. Never had any dramas, had approx 440 faultless hours, and absolute minimal oil smell. I think they are great engines! If you already went the 30, I'd be keen to hear how you are going with it. I recommend getting your local service centre to tune it to XD100, as that will be your cleanest burn and most economical oil use.