Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Out of the blue.

Red face Out of the blue.

A bit over a week ago I got a call out of the blue for an offer to go with Mojoes, the plan was to drive up to Hervey Bay Saturday afternoon, run up to Roonies Point for the evening and an early start for the morning. So I roll up at his place Saturday, load up the boat and off we went on Mojoes Charters.
    Now this is a comfortable setup, 8m plate boat, food and drinks although pillies were in short supply that week however I managed to lay my hands on a box, and not to mention good company.

That night at Roonies we settled in for dinner of fresh prawn buns and the obligatory beer to wash it down before a good night's sleep. Saturday early saw us up early for breakfast and a cup of coffee then head north towards Musgrave somewhere where we chased pearlies and saw Rob pick up a nice 9kg snapper and a rearly nice Rosie Job. Later on we moved to the shallower reefs but struggled a little to find fish, making our way back slowly towards Roonies Rob found a spot that looked good so the baits went down and I promptly dropped a Red which seemed to dog me for the rest of the trip however Rob was also on and he managed to get his in.

That night back at Roonies we rafted up with Giddy Up for the usual banter before settling in for dinner of steak and once again the obligatory beer to wash it down before a good night's sleep.

Monday saw us head out through the 4mile crossing of Breaksea Spit and fishing some deep water before trying the shallower reefs later in the morning. The red throats were a bit slow but the Maori Cod and Tuskies were everywhere, I managed to find a nice Coro Trout in the process.

Monday night saw us back home by 7pm to do a wash down and a general cleanup. We'd caught Red Emperor, Red Throats, Rosie Job fish, Snapper, Pearlies, Maori Cod, Tuskies and a nice Coronation Trout together with a large Gold Spot Wrasse, I'd post some pics but my tablet won't reduces the size in order to be posted, maybe when I can get my PC running again.

Thanks Rob for being a great host and providing a great weekend and I learnt quite a few things from you. I'm still in awe that you built the boat and trailer.

Re: Out of the blue.

Gday guys, fantastic trip!!! Thanks for the report. I am just interested to know how much fuel you carry and roughly what sort of distance you covered for this trip? I have a similar setup and did a rooneys pt trip 18 months or so ago and didn't have much fuel left out of 540lt. Interested to know how much extra I need to carry to get up musgrave way?

Cheers
    Lee

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    The wait is finally over.........was worth every minute..........let the RIPTIDE rip..........hell yehhhh

What an awesome report Dignity. I live in Hervey Bay and still only have that sort of fishing on my bucket list. Ahhh maybe one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Any_Weather View Post
    Gday guys, fantastic trip!!! Thanks for the report. I am just interested to know how much fuel you carry and roughly what sort of distance you covered for this trip? I have a similar setup and did a rooneys pt trip 18 months or so ago and didn't have much fuel left out of 540lt. Interested to know how much extra I need to carry to get up musgrave way?

Cheers
    Lee

Mojoes would have to comment, we didn't get to Musgrave but I think we probably used close to 500 litres.

Cheers Lee,
    All dependant on your fuel consumption.
    I can carry up to 900ltrs if needed.
    We done 500 odd kms and burnt about the same.
    Always a great trip in good conditions especially when you have auto pilot

Quote Originally Posted by Any_Weather View Post

Cheers
    Lee

Cheers Dignity,
    Was great to have you on board.
    You sure as hell do alright out there.
    So tell me, was the chain tie down setup really as hard as Tony makes out

Thanks Moejoes, 900lt is a great capacity!!!!! I only carry 540lt and rarely but certainly sometimes I wish I carried more. Playing in that area sure clocks up the kilometres hey. I have only done it once and the weather was pretty ordinary outside the bar but good around rooneys. Are you running 175hp engines? If so, are they suzuki and what props do you run?

Cheers

The wait is finally over.........was worth every minute..........let the RIPTIDE rip..........hell yehhhh

I only have 460 under the floor and capacity for 450 above which isn't ideal.
    I'm considering re doing my underfloor tank to 700ltrs as I have the room.
    Yes, twin 175 Suzi's.
    Can't recall props. Thinking 19" pitch?
    Initially I get 1.2ltrs per km fully loaded but as I lighten it comes back to 0.9 to 1 km per litre.
    All depends on trimming and sea conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Moejoes View Post
    Cheers Dignity,
    Was great to have you on board.
    You sure as hell do alright out there.
    So tell me, was the chain tie down setup really as hard as Tony makes out
    Well according to Tony it is complicated, requires an engineering degree and takes 2 hours to put on an off. I thought it was simplicity in itself and most suitable for the needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Well according to Tony it is complicated, requires an engineering degree and takes 2 hours to put on an off. I thought it was simplicity in itself and most suitable for the needs.
    Seriously Dignity, how much fish did Rob give you to say that

Sounds like a great trip & Rob is a great host, apart from some strange rumbling sounds that keep emanating from his side of the boat

A 9kg snapper is an absolute horse, & Rob reckons you did very well, outfishing him with ease

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Back In Black View Post
    Seriously Dignity, how much fish did Rob give you to say that

Sounds like a great trip & Rob is a great host, apart from some strange rumbling sounds that keep emanating from his side of the boat

A 9kg snapper is an absolute horse, & Rob reckons you did very well, outfishing him with ease

Tony
    Tony, no fish required as incentive. I think you are reading between the lines who said I out fished him, I think from memory he had the best fish on the line. Not sure what the rumblings are all about as I sleep with ear plugs, learnt that lesson after trying to sleep with a bloke called Chainsaw 😢.

Rob is great company, I think it was a contest between us "your not not again" seemed to happen both ways, Rob was always eager to teach but also to listen. I'd be more than happy to go again, I thoroughly enjoyed his company.

Chatting to Rob on Friday & he said he'd turn around & there you were with double hook ups quite often. Robs got the knack of getting the best quality fish consistently which annoys the living crap out of me, but saying that he knows what he is doing very well.

Ear plugs would not help when it comes to the sounds I am talking about, unless you wear nose plugs as well

Ask him about the time he fished with me off the Banks & we were pulling up bits & pieces, then he latches onto the biggest snapper I have ever seen........

Ah, he did mention a grumble or two but the wind must have been blowing from the right direction 😱

Rob consistently pulled the bigger fish, I figure my bait was the entrée and as mine drifted past his was waiting in the wings and the fish snapped it up.

Hahahhaha
    You guys are funny.
    It's not about who catches more or bigger.
    At the end of the day it's about enjoying the trip the counts IMO

You got that right Rob, it is all about enjoying the adventure, but why do you insist on always catching the biggest fish??