Thread: Reversing Boat into Dock

Reversing Boat into Dock

Hi all. New boat owner here. I have a 6 metre long Tahoe Bowrider which i am planning on driving from Windsor Boat Ramp to Berowra Waters Marina. This is the first time i have done it, so wondering if anyone has any tips for how to reverse the boat into the parking spot?

Normally at rivers when picking up people its as simple as pulling up to the side of the dock and tying off to the cleats, but never reversed into a parking spot before.

Appreciate any tips / advice.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Ausfish mobile app

Re: Reversing Boat into Dock

Hi MT

As the write up says "wanders at low speed"

WHAT WE LIKED
    Suits Australian conditions
    Top handing and a dry ride, even in adverse conditions
    Foam-filled hull
    Stability at rest
    Drinkholders and grab handles are in the right places
    Practical and comfortable interior
    Plenty of storage options
    Skipper wants for nothing at the helm
    Plenty of options and accessories to trick this boat up
    NOT SO MUCH
    No anchorwell or bow fitting
    Sidepockets virtually nonexistent
    Wanders a little at low speeds

However its not all bad, most of these stern drives are a little more controllable going backwards. My mates 28 ft Bayliner also wanders relly badly at low speds which is an issue when trying to determine if you will fit under bridges. If you slip it into reverse and throttle right back there is a lot more control and less wandering.

I suspect it will be the same with your rig. Line your self up with your berth and throttle right back and let the prop drag you in really slowly.as you adjust with small correcting movements on the wheel. Speed is not you friend in reverse. If it windy you can adjust as it pulls you back. Hang your fenders before you back up and have your lines in place. Have you crew ready the boat hook to finish your parking maneuver.

Much more control slowly slowly and you can look like a pro!

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

Ausfish Platinum Member

Reversing boats is different to cars, if you hadn't already twigged. If there is any wind, particularly crosswind, it has a big effect on the process. Boats tend to follow their prop when you are reversing, although they will also pull to one side due to prop rotation. You have probably already noticed this when you hit reverse when coming to a stop. But a crosswind will also push your bow around. it's a bit of a Catch -22--the faster you are going in reverse, the better your steering. And the greater the potential for disaster. you sometimes need to stop if you are wandering off, stern pointing the wrong direction, by hitting forward with the wheel turned in the appropriate direction to spin the stern back onto the direction you want it to go, before resuming reversing. Have you noticed just how different boats are to cars? Boats steer on thrust and/or speed--if you are going slowly, your steering effect will be minimal, particularly if you need to turn tightly. Add some throttle, and you turn.
    I reckon your best bit is to just put it on the water and practice this--just reverse towards something, with a bit of wind in different directions , and see how it responds. Every boat is a bit different. Backing upwind ( into the wind) is the easiest, or no wind--the hardest is actually having to back downwind --it will get your bow and push it around, no matter how big the boat. In a previous life I regularly had to back boats up to 50' long into pens or onto a jetty, and, if it was downwind with 20 knots of southerly trying to push your bow around--- well, it was heaps of throttle and lock, and clouds of black smoke . No place for the half-hearted

Why can't you drive into the berth and reverse out? Plenty do. As above though if you must back in - practice practice practice.

Oh thanks heaps everyone. I wasnt aware you could drive in forwards. Maybe it was just a newbie assumption of mine from watching too many videos?

I prefer to back in, there's no challenge driving in forwards

So just spoke to Berowra Waters Marina and they have stated you must reverss into berth as a safety requirement.

MT

Looks like you can get a hand to berth if you need it. (Just need your VHF on ch 16 )

"Berowra Waters Marina monitors vhf channel 16 during business hours, our call sign is VKT610. Please call us if you need assistance berthing"

Looks like they might be going to charge you too -- mooring rates please call 9456 3200

Looks like the Penthouse is the way to go

Rates

Additional Night Fri/Sat Week
    1 Feb 17 31 May 17 Shoulder $600 $1800 $4800
    1 Jun 17 31 Aug 17 Low $500 $1600 $4100
    1 Sep 17 30 Nov 17 Shoulder $600 $1800 $4800
    1 Dec 17 28 Feb 17 Peak $900 $2200 $6030
    Unless by arrangement a two day stay is the minimum

PS Have you worked out an estimate of how long the trip is going to take? How many NM kms and are there speed restrictions and fuel available on route?
    Looks like you might need to take plenty of food drinks and maybe even a swag if your not going to kip in the Penthouse or similar.
    Someone taking you car and trailer home while your away too?

Perhaps my snr middle age caution is rising to the surface here.....

Cheers
    Chimo

Quote Originally Posted by Chimo View Post

Rates

Additional Night Fri/Sat Week
    1 Feb 17 31 May 17 Shoulder $600 $1800 $4800
    1 Jun 17 31 Aug 17 Low $500 $1600 $4100
    1 Sep 17 30 Nov 17 Shoulder $600 $1800 $4800
    1 Dec 17 28 Feb 17 Peak $900 $2200 $6030
    Unless by arrangement a two day stay is the minimum
    . Bloody hell. He only wanted to pull up - not buy in. They don't miss you do they.

Ausfish Platinum Member

Well, think about reversing this way--unless you can find a drive-through pen, you'll be reversing at some stage, whether in, or out

The cost to berth for a day is $25, so not too bad. However, i don't have a Marine Radio, so i might have to just call them assuming i have cell phone coverage and need assistance berthing

How long is the trip along the river?

Any speed limits?

Hey mate
    Repeating a bit here but I'll throw in my hat
    1st rule don't be afraid to pull out n have another go, no gets it right every time
    Check your with the marina n see if u can book a blow on mooring for the day, it's easier to learn on
    Always check the wind n tide ect so pull up n see how your boat is moving n make the call
    Have your fenders out and mooring lines ready don't get into the slot n think about it then, if u have a couple extra put them on the other side so if things do go wrong just let your boat drift over n rest on the next boat n pull your boat back over to your pontoon
    You won't hurt the other boat n if u try n pull out n hit the boat next you u could do more damage
    If u end up with a mooring which is a blow off situation- get your deckie to tie off your rear cleat to pontoon first (make sure the deckie knows how to tie a rope to a cleat before u leave) then u can put your boat into forward gear at idle and use the rear mooring line as an anchor point to bring the bow over if the wind is pushing u off the pontoon, keep the wheel straight for this pretty much n let the rope do the work . If u have to can then leave it in idle n it'll hold u against the pontoon whilst u get your bow line on
    Most times someone will be around to give u a hand, they seem to sense us noobs lol
    Cheers
    Craig

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ausfish Platinum Member

TruBlue mentions something I forgot there, using your mooring lines as springers. Simplest way is to, when coming into the dock,as he says, get a quick tie off from your stern cleat to a bollard on the pen, then keep your motor forward ( making sure the stern line is tied off or wrapped securely) and the boat will just sit there firmly against the dock until you can get a bow rope on.
    There is another technique for getting a boat OFF a dock if the wind is pushing you on and you need to reverse out. Run a bow line back and attach it to a point on the dock somewhere around amidships of your vessel. best not to tie a knot, as you will need top drop this quickly. Just take a few turns or figure 8 and get your deckie to keep the weight on the free end. Turn your wheel full lock to the dock side. Put your motor in gear forward. This will have the effect of "springing " the stern of the boat away from the dock. Amount of throttle required will obviously vary depending on how hard the wind/tide is pressing you against the dock. Once your stern out out and pointing where you want to go, reverse smartly as your deckie drops the bow rope off the point you were attached to on the dock. You should back out and away easily. You won't be one of those people who try to just push the stern off in a strong wind/tide then end of having to fend your self off the dock as you back up, or worse, off the line of boats tied up behind you " sorry, sorry, my bad, excuse me, sorry..."