Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Food Poisoning - Sandies

Food Poisoning - Sandies

Mate and I got a good feed of sandies the other arvo. Mate took them home, cooked them, then gave me some the next day. He had eaten some before I ate mine, and after I ate mine, and hasn't had a thing wrong with him. Three hours after mine last night I had my head in the bowl, dry retching for two hours. Never actually threw up, which made it kind've worse in a way. Two hours and the pain went enough for me to sleep, but all today I've been nauseous, but not enough to throw up.

Question is, do you think it was the crabs? I haven't had crab in a good twelve months, so am thinking it may have just been the adjustment. They were fresh and well kept (my mate is very particular with them). Any thoughts? Seems like too much of a coincidence for it not to be the crabs, but you never can be sure.

Thanks.

Cuzza

Re: Food Poisoning - Sandies

Not the crabs for food poisoning (food poisoning takes more than 3 hours)

Quote Originally Posted by stockhorse View Post
    Not the crabs for food poisoning (food poisoning takes more than 3 hours)
    I had a read up on it today, and they reckon anywhere between one and forty eight hours, depending on the type.

As someone who works in the food service industry in very large volumes I can say there are so many potential factors. What else had you eaten in the last 12 hours, what did you have with the crab, did you wash you hands before eating them, have other members of the family been ill??? Always easy to consider the last thing you ate to be the suspect, but, so many potential contaminates of which the crab is the least likely. Also need to know whether it was a physical reaction to the crab itself. A lot of people have allergic reaction to shellfish, crabs in particular and it can be late onset.

Yeah, I was wondering about having some sort of reaction, KC. I have never had a problem in the past, though. Does that matter, or is it still possible? I haven't eaten crab too often in the past - mainly a pure fish person - so could that be a possibility?

And yeah, had a good think about what I ate, but nothing out of my normal diet. Still, could have been off eggs or whatever. My mate certainly didn't get sick, and he ate the same lot as me. His old man did, too.

Cuzza

It would be interesting if you now ate a small amount of fish to see if you have a reaction to it. You may have cicatera poision {excuse the spelling} Just a thought.

Don't get Ciguatera from crabs and it has a very different set of symptoms to food poisoning. My thought was it is either something else you ate, or touched, or a reaction in general (mild shellfish allergy).

Yeah, thankfully not Cig.

Might have to resign to the fact that I may have a bit of a reaction to shellfish, as it seems way too coincidental otherwise.

Cuzza

Ausfish Silver Member jackson4300's Avatar

My girlfriend gets sick if she eats too much crab, small amounts she is ok with but a full meal of crabs will get her sick within about 3 hours as well.

Sounds like me, Jackson. A small amount and I'm good, but this time I really went to town, and whack, off the boil I went. May well be the case I reckon.

Cuzza

My cousin was a top seafood chef on one of the big cruise ships for years.
    One day he fell ill halfway through a shift, went to the doc and had a heart attack in the doc's office.
    Survived that ok and went back to work the following day and had an immediate reaction.
    Now completely allergic to all seafoods.

He now shuffles papers for the department of transport.

Seems the body reaches a limit then tells you no more quite harshly.
    Jack.

Gee, I bloody hope it doesn't apply to the rest of seafood for me, Jack. I've heard that ciguatera can build up like that, then be tipped over.

I did have fish the following night and was fine, so I might be right regarding all seafood. Still, probably gonna avoid too much crab from now on.

Cuzza

Was the heart attack due to seafood?

It is not Cig poisoning my cousin has, it is an extreme allergy to iodine. even touching seafood now makes him crook.
    Jack.

That's crazy. What about alive fish? Can he at least catch and release, or does that make him crook, too? What a nightmare that'd be.

Cuzza