Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Food Poisoning - Sandies

Re: Food Poisoning - Sandies

he avoids all contact with fish crabs and shellfish.......no longer goes fishing at all.
    Jack.

That really is a nightmare. I'm hoping that isn't ever the case with me. Can't imagine never being able to even handle fish. Just ate some fresh flattie tonight, and am all good, so hopefully it was just shellfish.

Cuzza

no itchiness of the hands or tingling on the lips when you were eating the crab?
    I started getting that with redclaw, mentioned it to the Doc who went right off at me, early symptom of the onset of allergy reaction, told me one bite could go from that to in the ambulance if I was lucky. I dont eat or handle redclaw any more......I like them, but not that much.

No, Feral, no tingling. Just really bad nausea and dry retching three hours later, and into the next day.

Cuzza

What does your doctor say. You need to get it properly diagnosed as if it is a shellfish allergy you need to be aware that such things as glucosamine which is derived from shellfish will possibly give you the same symptoms.

Interesting, my brother developed an allergy to shellfish late in life, we discovered it after he came out in a hideous rash after eating 2 dozen oysters...I ate the same and was fine.

Cuzza, definately see your Doctor. Do not even go near crabs or prawns until you find out if it was a reaction. Allergies don't normally go away. You tend to react more with each exposure. I've seen too many anaphylactic reactions over the years as a Paramedic to not be concerned. I feel for you. I can not consider what it would be like not being able to enjoy shellfish.

Thanks for the advice, Cqfreshie.

Do I need to take anything to the docs? I threw all the frames out, so have nothing left of them. And yeah, mate, it's an absolute sh&tter if I can't eat the tasty mongrels anymore! Btw, good on you for doing such an important job - not many can do what you do.

Cuzza

Thanks for your words, but not anymore. Last day tomorrow, then on leave for 12 months before I retire. More time for fishing yeah.

Seems to be kind of common to develope shellfish/crustacean allergy later in life, my father did exactly that when he was about 75, been eating Prawns and Lobsters all his life, then almost over night they started near killing him every time he ate them!

Crazy stuff, Noel. This time was my first, and it was pretty minor - nausea/dry retching for 24 hrs, but it sounds like it could get worse. Am going to book a Dr appointment next week and see if I can get tested for allergy.

Cuzza

UPDATE

Went to dr's today, and he was adamant it wasn't any sort of allergy. Reckons I'd have different and severe symptoms, like a rash, tingling etc if I was actually developing an allergy. Said I probably just ate a portion that was handled badly/had germ on it, and away you go.

Bloody stoked I don't have to avoid all shellfish!!!

Cuzza

Allergies tend to bring on other reactions than upchucking.....sometimes very severe.
    Good you saw the quack about it.....there could have been something else involved.
    Jack.

Yeah, Tunaticer, he reckons it'd be something as simple as me getting the pieces that had bacteria on them from poor handling. Said definitely wouldn't just present as gut problems if it was gonna be an allergy, which is a relief.

Cuzza