Thread: Volvo or Mercruiser oil change

Volvo or Mercruiser oil change

So one needs a vacuum pump to get the oil out. Any suggestions? Whitworths have a couple...there's a brass one made in NZ that looks ok but it won't fit the fitting on the dipstick tube as the fitting is a 3/4 NTP or US garden fitting. I reckon I can make an adaptor but am wondering what others do?
    Suggestions on oil welcome too (at the risk of starting an oil thread).

Re: Volvo or Mercruiser oil change

Quick google shows a lot of people use these style pumps.
    https://www.bunnings.com.au/gfb-6mm-...-pump_p6321494
    Or these hand pumps
    http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/MERCRUISER-...%257Ciid%253A1
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

Thanks Triple - yeah I did some googling before I posted; which is how I discovered the US fitting problem. The example you give uses a narrow tube that goes in the dipstick tube but I thought using the tube itself via the fitting would be better. Looking for anyone who's done it before for the pros and cons.

FWIW, my Lomardini diesel has a brass sump pump mounted to the side of the engine, and is permanently plumbed into the sump. I have a hose clamped to the outlet and keep that tied high in engine bay, and blanked off. This makes oil changes easy. If you have a threaded fitting in your sump, or sump plug, you could use the brass whitworths pump and set up in a similar manner. Perhaps mount to engine bay wall if not practical to mount to engine?

I had a mercruiser 485 and used that brass NZ hand pump to empty the sump....just clamped a short length of water hose onto either end ...worked fine .

I use use the following Jabsco pump for my 8.1 Mercruisers. Not cheap but works a treat. Has forward and reverse so can be emptied. I also use it for my transmissions and generator fluid changes. I've seen some of the diesel boys using this or the Pela vacuum pumps from Whitworths if they don't have a Reverso oil change setup installed.

For oil I'm currently using the Mercury synthetic blend 25w/40. I see some others have been using a dual rated diesel oil in a 15w/40 such as Delvac or Delo 400 multi grade with good results on oil analysis.

https://www.amazon.com/Jabsco-17800-.../dp/B000O8F562

Thanks all for the advice.
    Cheers

I just use a Pela hand oil extractor pump. Most mobile outboard mechanics use them too. Just over $100 for a 6 litre model.

Going back a few years now but I'm sure I just dumped mine into the hull & let it drain out the bung.
    Bit of degreaser & then hot soapy water & it was like it never happened.

I thought I'd close this one off for any future searches with what I ended up doing.
    Bought a Pela vacuum extractor from Whitworths for $100. Used a piece of rubber hose (about 3/8 l think) to connect the main vacuum tube to the dipstick tube. Worked a treat. Then used the narrow tube extension down the dipstick tube to check and got no more out...so won't bother next time. Made a bit of a mess but due to operator error and reckon next time it will be painless.
    Thanks again all for the advice.

Out of interest what oil did you end up going with?

The Mercury standard. 25w40 semi synth I think. Is quite dear and obviously you need to buy 2 of the 3 point something litre packs. Will probably seek an alternative next time. Not sure how much different from automotive oils it needs to be given they are just marinised Chevs.
    Used the Mercury high performance 90 weight in the leg which apparently is very good though a bit scary due to the flouro blue color.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Yep thats what i use - except I need to buy 17 litres worth for each oil change for my twin 8.1's . From what i've seen it has far more zinc and phos compared to everyday run of the mill auto oils - its more like a HDEO presumably to combat the effect of loads and higher constant rpms a boat engine does compared to a car.