Thread: Saturday Night Snaps

Saturday Night Snaps

Went out for a run yesterday arvo in the hope of bagging a few more Snapper for dinner.

Did a massive rookie mistake by leaving my boat keys at home and only realising when I had the boat in the water! Luckily my very understanding wife dropped them down to me and I was off about 45 minutes late.

Went out and sounded around and although a pretty flat the wind was easterly which made it a bit of an awkward anchor but got there in the end. Burley out and picked up a bunch of Herring with big schools on the sounder.

After deploying livebaits high and low in the water column I put some baits out and after a bit of a lull the fish started turning up - small to start with but as the sun got lower and a bit of current came into play bigger models turned up. Within an hour the fish went 38, 48, 47 and finally a 63 on the live bait - really was bite time!

Waited to see if moon set would bring on another bite period but no such luck - a small Snap and little Jewfish (55) so home by 8.30 with a nice bag of Snapper
    Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C64A6F66-38E7-427F-B8AE-9292C2E7302A.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	115768  

Re: Saturday Night Snaps

Some nice fish there well done. I have a spare key hidden in the boat in case I forget mine.

I keep a spare in my car keys. Can't get the boat to the ramp without the car. It has saved me quite a few times

Nice snapper too!!

i keep my spare boat key in the glove box of my car

Can I ask unless its stored on a pontoon at home or at a mooring facility where someone can start it and motor away (excluding little kids at home accessing it) why take the key out at all?
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

Nice work mate. A top feed of Snaps there! What end of the bay are you fishing?

Therapy

Oh, and I take my key out because it has the key to the padlock for the trailer lock on it as well and if someone does steal my boat they will have to go and get a key cut for it. Why make it easy for them? Triple, you could have at least said nice fish or something before asking the question. Manners...

Therapy...

If they steal your boat when it's on the trailer at home then they've taken the lot and either want the trailer, stripping the boat or trailer for parts/electronics, repainting it, repowering it or burning it.. a missing ignition key in these mostly basic locks is not really making it any harder for them and only increases your chances of forgetting your keys like in this instance where he was fortunate enough to have someone able to deliver the key and still catch a feed of nice fish.

If no one could deliver or was on a big trip away and was hours from home the day would be ruined and those nice fish wouldnt end up in the esky.

My trailer lock key is on my car keys so technically unless I moor it somewhere or leave it tied to a public pontoon I don't have to ever remove the ignition key from the boat so I was curious as to the reasons people who take them out at home when it's on the trailer actually do..

Nice fish too btw
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

I can't forget my keys because I can't unlock the trailer lock to put it on the tow ball without them. I also always test to make sure I have some ignition before I go anywhere, (often run it for a short while) meaning I have to put the key in the ignition to see if it wants to kick. See my reasoning? Not everyone is the same. I reckon that the most expensive thing on my boat is the 50 hp Honda 4 stroke. Without a key, a bit harder to use I would think. And my point stands. If you comment on one of few posts in this section, you can be a bit complimentary and encouraging before you impose your opinion on someone else. Just courtesy to the OP...In summary (Satnav style)...

1 - I won't be leaving my key in the ignition....See reasons above.

2 - And they are nice fish aren't they? Better than my last trip I can assure you...

Therapy...

Quote Originally Posted by therapy View Post
    Nice work mate. A top feed of Snaps there! What end of the bay are you fishing?

Therapy
    Hey Therapy fished the southern bay east of Harries - if you sound around there is some good country there

Quote Originally Posted by Still_Dreamin View Post
    I keep a spare in my car keys. Can't get the boat to the ramp without the car. It has saved me quite a few times

Now doing the same thing

Blair I am a north side boy. The boat ramp traffic down in the deep south frightens me!! Some artificial reefs in the middle of the bay would be helpful for us Northerners (without a fishing license to pay for it please!) I have not fished that way for a while. Might have to run out to Harries from the river one day. Thanks for the reply and the initial post. Always great to see someone catching a few!

Therapy...