Thread: 1770 advice wanted - not fishing spots

1770 advice wanted - not fishing spots

Hi all hopefully getting up to 1770 in the next month or so. Planning 2 nights offshore depending on weather. Have done day trips there but never overnighters. Just wondering if you guys camp on an island or just in the boat inside lagoons? Also do you take multiples eskys. I have a long 200ltr and also a tall 120ltr both techni ice brand. Was thinking the 200ltr might not be enough. It's nice to dream about how many we will catch! Deck space is an issue as it's a 600f boat. Anyway any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank.

Re: 1770 advice wanted - not fishing spots

We stay in the lagoons onboard. Grab a few 20kg bags of ice from the servo. Make a brine in the big esky once you catch a few and keep one or two bags in the smaller esky for day 2/3.

Stay in the lagoons or if the weather is good enough stay outside over a nice patch of reef and that way when you wake up just drop your line over.
    Remember to always log on before heading offshore.

Forget the Lagoons, you waste too much time getting in an out and besides that you get little or no protection from the wind and you will need to be in and out in the daytime to see what your doing.

whats your fuel range?? This will determine where you should be heading!
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Thanks for the advice guys. Plan was to head straight to a lagoon, track a gps in and then head wide. That way if we come in at night we have a track to follow. Happy to stay outside a lagoon if weather permits. Do overnighters off sunny coast at the hards so no dramas there. Have 240ltrs of fuel so range is ok. 300km plus safely. Thanks again and please off anymore advice.

Spaniard King is on the money. Don't go in the lagoons, wastes too much time. Spend your days chasing reds and bigger trout in the deeper areas, then anchor up late arvo in a protected shallow area 10-20ft and berly up for red throat. We usually get our bag of redthroat easy during dark.

I see 600f but what motor and what is your average fuel burn? I haven't done the trip so that's part of the reason for asking. Came very close to joining team Yalta but the weather had other ideas, we figured all our 4 strokes would need about 190 litres, our rigs are either 115 or 150 Yammies or 140 susies. Unless you have a much bigger donk I'd say your 240 litres fuel is plenty

Sent from my HTC_0P6B6 using Ausfish mobile app

the lagoons or anchoring up? something nice about the lagoons if its a straight out of 1770 to Musgrave or Boult for a night as you tend to chill out and just eat and sleep, if want to fish nights or fish further afield you'd be nuts to look at the lagoons... with eskies each to their own, having a dedicated ice esky works well especially if you can fit eskies up the front?, 1770 is also quite doable on day trips as well... i think the main thing is what do you want to do, chase reds on the tide changes and trout and red throats in the shallows inbetween that? i reckon its more about what you plan to fish for and when will dictate what where you stay overnight
    Tangles KFC

Quote Originally Posted by jclay1773 View Post
    Thanks for the advice guys. Plan was to head straight to a lagoon, track a gps in and then head wide. That way if we come in at night we have a track to follow. Happy to stay outside a lagoon if weather permits. Do overnighters off sunny coast at the hards so no dramas there. Have 240ltrs of fuel so range is ok. 300km plus safely. Thanks again and please off anymore advice.
    It is fine if you come into Musgrave or Fitzroy & plot your track at a lowish tide. You will see bommies everywhere that should have plenty of water over them at high tide. Running a track at high tide may get you into trouble if you have to come in during poor visibility during a lower tide.
    I have come into both lagoons at night by track on a low tide with a big spotlight & it can get dicey. A bit of wind or current can push you into trouble.
    The entrances were marked by unlit posts a couple of years ago but that may have changed.
    Definitely better in the lagoons if wind is around 20 knots but there is some protection behind Musgrave if it is blowing SE.
    Up around Lamont would be my choice for a first trip. Marks are handy but there are bumps & ledges everywhere. Sound around & fish the ones that are lit up on your sounder.
    ROLL TIDE, ROLL.................

Regards,
    Peter

Just be aware that it always blows at night up there and theres nothing better than the feeling of being inside the lagoon at night in a calm anchorage, rather than being outside it in the slop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We used to fish late into the night then come into the lagoon at Lady Musgrave for a good sleep on the calmer water.

Morning crap, breakfast, then back into it again.

Too much detail there mr bean

Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated.

Gday Jclay1773, I've done the trip to Fitzroy twice and I've found sleeping in the lagoon is great as I usually do a 4 day/3 night trip. In the lagoon you are guaranteed a good night sleep and you'll be fresh for the next day. Yes you do miss the sun up fish but on the reef up there you can catch fish all day.
    As for eskies, I use 3, I have an Engel in the cabin for food storage, one esky on the deck for drinks and my big esky full to the lid with ice for the fish only once they are bled and gutted as to avoid smell and I think it's more hygienic. As more fish go in the ice comes out and tops up the drinks esky. As the drinks get low fish start to fill that esky also.
    A hot tip for ice preservation is freeze a heap of 4L ice cream containers to make block ice, they last for ages and improve the life of the party ice which tends to melt pretty easily.
    Good luck with your trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk