Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Qld Recreational Fishing Licence ?

Re: Qld Recreational Fishing Licence ?

Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post

The other issuse i have with a RFL and were moneys will be spent is how things have gone in the past with the allowcation of artificial reef it seems that certain lobby groups have more persuasion of were reefs go i dont want my money going to southen end of the bay like it has in the past and thats the problem that will happen if the RFL come into play who gets what first and who get what.
    Chris.... There have been in recent years, 7 artificial reefs deployed by NPWS... which changes it's name all the time and this entity had a working committee made up of rec fishers, spearos, club fishers, game fishers and more, even a Green rep... 7 reefs deployed.

In the southern bay we had East Coochie, West Peel and off South Straddie ( not in the bay )
    In the middle, we had Harry Aitkinson reef
    In the north of the bay we had Wild Banks ( off Bribie ) , North Moreton ( nth end Moreton Island ) and Turner reef, being the latest one deployed near Scarborough

To me that looks like the northern end of the bay got a good deal. ??

Then we also deployed a couple of arti's in Hervey Bay.. obviously hoping to do more, but that seems to negate the " south vs north " question ?

cheers LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

What Steve Morgan doesnt donate to the local stocking when he runs a bass comp?
    And they would have contributed to the impoundment because they need a SIP to be fishing there be it a guides customer or a competition fisher and yes i can see were your comeing from and it does open another can of worms that i don't want to see the government getting involved in, as we all know you get more than you bargined for.
    Since SEQWater have started charging Tournament Organisers a fee to run their tournaments, none of them donate to either Somerset or Wivenhoe anymore. Steve Morgan with ABT was the only one who really acknowledged the efforts of the volunteer Stocking Groups.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post
    Chris.... There have been in recent years, 7 artificial reefs deployed by NPWS... which changes it's name all the time and this entity had a working committee made up of rec fishers, spearos, club fishers, game fishers and more, even a Green rep... 7 reefs deployed.

In the southern bay we had East Coochie, West Peel and off South Straddie ( not in the bay )
    In the middle, we had Harry Aitkinson reef
    In the north of the bay we had Wild Banks ( off Bribie ) , North Moreton ( nth end Moreton Island ) and Turner reef, being the latest one deployed near Scarborough

To me that looks like the northern end of the bay got a good deal. ??

Then we also deployed a couple of arti's in Hervey Bay.. obviously hoping to do more, but that seems to negate the " south vs north " question ?

cheers LP
    No quite a good deal Phill the Bill Turner artificial reef is the only usefull one in the northen end of the bay althought the cages out off the wild banks fish well its outside the bay.

Now if you fish from the shore or off the beach why should there RFL fees go towards artificial reefs when they can not make any use of them because they don't have a boat to get to them,mum and dad wont wont to take the kids fishing if there RFL fees go towards the boating group getting more out of it.

Ausfish Silver Member jackson4300's Avatar

No quite a good deal Phill the Bill Turner artificial reef is the only usefull one in the northen end of the bay althought the cages out off the wild banks fish well its outside the bay.

Now if you fish from the shore or off the beach why should there RFL fees go towards artificial reefs when they can not make any use of them because they don't have a boat to get to them,mum and dad wont wont to take the kids fishing if there RFL fees go towards the boating group getting more out of it.
    You don't have to fish from a boat to make use of them. The artis aren't there simply as a FAD for boaties. Promoting better fish numbers in the area and supporting juvenile fish benifits the greater area. So the shore fisherman could potentially be seeing increased fsh numbers and reaping the rewards from artis.

If I can see a well laid out plan (short and long term) with some evidence supporting the ideas, I would be happy to pay for a RFL. It is a hobby that I have participated in for most of my life and if I can give something back, why not?

You see, this is what I was getting at, "we" can't agree on anything, the more bickering goes on, the less will ever get done or be heard, regardless of what happens, we can't all be 100% happy, there will always be someone who says "but" an overall fee that benefits fishing in general cannot be just ruled out, there is dozens of reasons why it will be great, just as there is dozens that are not so flash, we need to meet somewhere in the middle!

No worries Chris... Artificial reefs are NOT only deployed in offshore and close to land areas, Artificial reefs are also things like Piers ( disused ), Rock Groins, and for instance in the Northern Bay. the old Hornibrook highway, which has a number of dedicated fishing platforms for recreational fishers, as does the new Ted Smout bridge.

I do understand what you're saying, but again let me say I do not support the RFL, but with close to shore arti's, arti's with tangible access by land and more, the fishery is supported and therefore grows, thus it expands and becomes benefit to all areas of the habitat. Take the Northern Bay area of Clontarf. In recent years there has been 3 arti's or recreational fisher only sites established. I have attached a couple of photos. There are the two groins / breakwalls near the boat ramp that provide excellent fishing opportunities for landbased fishers, same as the Ted Smout bridge platform and the Hornibrook Hwy platform. Long ago, we were promised the old concrete pylons from the Hornibrook Hwy from demolition, but some Green folks had a hissy fit and believed this would be akin to " dumping " into the ocean / bay. I am amazed by the short sightedness of some extreme Greens. They didn't want to relocate these pylons a few hundred meters ( to in front of the Ted Smouth fishing platform ) from where they were already in the water, but yet, not a peep was heard when Brisbane Airport Authority got the tick of approval from the State Government to extract 50 million tons of sand from Moreton Bay in an area that had 10% seagrass coverage.. " Dugong habitat and food source ". Chris, we have had success ( I believe anyway ) with artificial reefs being deployed, but it seems it may be just a vote buying exercise ?? dunno. What I am getting at is, there has been good outcomes for the northern bay and in the photos attached, you will note the MBMP Zoning map, which clearly indicates the Wild Banks and North Moreton arti's within Moreton Bay, as legislated by the State Government.

Can funds raised by a RFL increase the number of deployments ? Are arti's the best way of protecting and enhancing the fishery ? Do we need or want a RFL ?

If we can deploy 9 arti's in the last couple of years, can we continue with the struggle to get these done without a RFL and shear pressure on sitting Governments ?

I appreciate the responses and thoughts Chris

cheers LP
    Attached Images Attached Images

Gee Phill there idea of were moreton bay is and were the partially smooth water line is varies greatly lol.

Yeah I know.... it's all in the details

I did notice about 12 rec fishers on the Hornibrook platform this morning (y)

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Ducksnutz View Post
    With respect Nagg,

anyone can can quote figures and costs to support an argument. Could you tell me if it costs more for a rec licence per day if you pay monthly, quarterly or annually rather than every 3 years?

Assuming the cost is 8 cents per day and my math is correct, that amounts to $87.60 for three years which doesn't seem a lot. Now throw in mum, dad, little johnny and sally it becomes $350.40 if you pay the discounted price for three yearly licence. (See what I did with quoting figures to suit an argument) For the record my kids have moved out of home but having raised a family for more than 20 years on a single pay cheque every dollar counts and fishing for our family was an affordable pastime.

Call me cynical but I can't see how another tax on the working class will be of any benefit other than revenue for the knobs in power to waste.

My idea to support funding for our fisheries and waterways is for a tax on imported fishing equipment suppliers such as Daiwa and Shimano. Specifically gear made in China that produce massive amounts of profit for little return in regards to the health of the system. The tax would go into a trust managed by an organisation that ispecifically has fishing as its priority. These importers could in return advertise that they are partners in helping the future.
    I know that ultimately it will be passed on to the customer, but it also might make fishos think about buying Aussie made products which has a domino effect on the economy.
    Kids dont need to have a licence in NSW & I'm pretty sure that you can have your missus on the licence too - for the same fee
    (dont quote me on that one though)
    It is certainly cheaper to buy a 3 year licence - than 3 x yearly ($20 ?)

A licence fee did not reduce fishing participation in NSW

Gotta fly ... literally

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

It appears to be dead in the water now Minister saysthat they are against a RFL.
    https://www.daf.qld.gov.au/fisheries...eries-strategy
    Cheers
    Ray

Well looks like the end of this discussion, at least in the short term . Funny how passionate the discussion becomes and although we all have the same passion, we are really worlds apart on this issue . Enjoy fishing everyone . Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

OH dear......... A politician makes a statement that something is no going to happen....... We'll run with a " Friday Funny " on that one.

The current crop of pollies of all persuasions do not want to touch an RFL due to lack of support from the rec fishers. It is a vote killer.

This discussion is still worthy of input, as it will be here when people come looking for it. What happens on the internet, stays on the internet

There are easier ways to sequester funds for rec fishing items, and a simple increase in the RUF and those funds be removed from general revenue and back into a trust for the purposes in which they were intended, is a start. That is only a matter of a stroke of a pen ( keyboard ).

A sad reflection on Government happened today.

Fisheries Queensland have a facebook page and that is a good thing and they use it for good reason. On their page I asked them if there is any proposal for them to deploy more artificial reefs in Qld.

They responded that " MSQ looks after the reefs "..... Well shave my beard and call me normal... I didn't know that. BUT, I do know the NPSR ( old QPWS ) deployed most of the arti;s. So I contacted MSQ and they responded that they do not " look after " the reefs........ so what chance have we got if one Govt department doesn't know what the next one does or looks after or ??????????

Oh well, at least the footy is on to distract me from the incompetence of our apparent leaders !!!

LP

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

A last word from this bloke,
    Having been a staunch anti RFL I have enjoyed reading the opposite side of view to the point where a change in my opinion is perhaps on the cards.
    I humbly accept that if it is for the greater good of a pastime that I have loved and enjoyed than so be it.

That's the way to think about it, to just say NO, because.....is not right, everyone needs to see all sides of such an issue. Having seen the days of no license in NSW and absolutely jack sh1t being done to ramps, facilities, stocking programs or anything else from the Government, to currently having a license and at least seeing some small odds and ends being done, makes it kind of worthwhile, sure, lots gets used by committees and groups with probably personal agendas, and possibly administration costs, at least we have seen improvements across the entire state. The license is pretty simple, pensioners are exempt, under (I think, will have to check) 16 and adults supervising kids are exempt, licences are available for 3 days, 3 months, 1 year or 3 years, all that said, it needs careful consideration, you have to be carful what you wish for, as they say!

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    That's the way to think about it, to just say NO, because.....is not right, everyone needs to see all sides of such an issue. Having seen the days of no license in NSW and absolutely jack sh1t being done to ramps, facilities, stocking programs or anything else from the Government, to currently having a license and at least seeing some small odds and ends being done, makes it kind of worthwhile, sure, lots gets used by committees and groups with probably personal agendas, and possibly administration costs, at least we have seen improvements across the entire state. The license is pretty simple, pensioners are exempt, under (I think, will have to check) 16 and adults supervising kids are exempt, licences are available for 3 days, 3 months, 1 year or 3 years, all that said, it needs careful consideration, you have to be carful what you wish for, as they say!
    Something like 5 million fished stocked over the last year is a bit more than small odds & ends

fishing compliance in NSW is much better too

Having just got back from Evans head ..... I was really pleased with the facilities - particularly a nice covered fish cleaning table where 4 fishoes can go to work on cleaning fish . Evans Head is not exactly a major city either

chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO