Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Qld Recreational Fishing Licence ?

Re: Qld Recreational Fishing Licence ?

Part of your boat rego fees is supposed to provide ramps etc.
    Juniors would be exempt of a RFL
    in NSW pensioners etc are also exempt.
    Should rfl fees be used to provide infrastructure when this has traditionally been provided by local councils and other Government depts.
    Would it not be great if QLD RFL was recognised in other states?
    Cheers
    Ray

Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post
    Well Matt with the influx of southener's comeing and have come into qld we should have someone launching our boats at the boat ramp for us with all the extra money being raised but at peak times there's no car parks for miles to park your car and trailer,and i dont think they can or will improve things with raiseing more money from a salt water licence for fishing,but if you want to volunteer your hard earned money go right ahead i wont be giveing them any to fish.

When i was young we would find some fishing line cash in a coke bottle to by some hooks and find some bait of the jetty and catch butter bream some of the best fun as a kid so why ask a kid to get a licence to do so to have some fun.

Nagg i do think that qld will benifit, but the government will and waist most of it look how the split of the freshwater licence's has ended up there takeing more and give back less and the same thing will happen if a saltwater fishing licence is bought in
    It really does boil down to how the funds are dispersed ..... & what is the intent of a licence .
    I agree that it shouldn't go into infrastructure like boat ramps ...... but fish cleaning facilities is a different kettle of fish (excuse the pun)

First up ... like NSW there should be pro licence buyouts of all estuaries near to large population centers ( no netting) . Fish stocking of estuaries (like NSW has done ) - some goes for areas like Moreton Bay / Great Sandy straights etc

It's a long term process - that is for sure but it needs the right input from the right people (not just government)

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Boat ramps are the domain of DTMR- they get enough funding through regos of vehicles to supply infrastructure. More than just fishos use ramps so they alone should not be funding them.
    Still very much opposed to an RFL but if there were to be one then funds would need to be funneled into tangible fisheries benefits such as habitat restoration, stocking and more importantly increased fisheries compliance. Not sure about the SE which tends to get all the riches but the fisheries guys in the north are so underfunded and stretched that they have almost 0 presence. Not much point having rules without someone to police them. On the plus side, if it remains this way then I'd probably get away with not getting an RFL anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    It's funny .... when I lived in brissy , I had to pay a huge annual fee to run my boat on Lake Somerset - along with a SIP ...... Why?

& yet people don't want to pay for a rec fishing licence .....

The SIP works ...... dont people think that the salt water fisheries could also benefit - through stocking & commercial closures

Sorry , I just dont get the attitude of some

Chris
    The Somerset Boating Permit has now gone. It was for maintaining the public areas run by SEQWater and did nothing to stock the lakes.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

Quote Originally Posted by JulianDeMarchi View Post
    Do clear the air then sir?
    I've heard that there is currently a committee discussing changes to the SIP Scheme, the members of that committee have been asked to sign a non-disclosure statement so that incorrect and non-final decisions don't get passed into the hands and heads of people who post on public forums without knowing the full facts. As Secretary of the Somerset and Wivenhoe Fish Stocking Association, I can say that I have not been asked to sign anything. If Ray has for one of his groups, I'd love to know why?
    Dale

Quote Originally Posted by rayken1938 View Post
    In my opinion the new SIP for the fresh is a disappointment for all members of the previous scheme .
    To be part of the new scheme all groups have to sign a nondisclosure statement preventing them from disclosing their new funding arrangements.
    this reeks of collusion so much for open government policy)
    The government will now cream off 30% of monies raised for admin.
    No complaint about the funding that new SIP groups will receive they were devastated by the newman government..
    I also have concerns about the manner that stocking groups will be allowed to utilize funds. I would now appear that the stocking groups may be forced to pay for signage etc at dams.
    With the composition of the proposed board giving fisheries a 50% membership certainly gives them an unfair advantage and in my opinion will result in any changes to current funding practices will possibly only advantage the fisheries budget rather than be to the benefit of the fishery.
    I have not been privileged to study the proposed sip document in full but what little I have seen there will be more losers that winners and much more pressure is going to be exerted on stocking groups to expand their resources into fundraising activities instead of actual stocking.
    Cheers
    Ray
    Ray, which groups have been notified of this? Was it by letter or email? SWFSA Inc. have not been advised of this.
    Dale

Thanks guys... this is bubbling along nicely with good ideas, comments and I love the passion from some of you .

To clear my thoughts on any proposed RFL, the funds should NOT go into boat ramps and facilities, as this is quite rightly pointed out, what the RUF was supposed to support. Unfortunately, the RUF has ended up in " General revenue " and we see little of it.

My thought on a RFL would be for funding, research by private entities supported by Fisheries, Artificial reefs, Wild Stocking, Kids education & fishing clinics, Rec fishing havens and more..... Trying to say...... the funds should be directed at the Fishery, rather than the fishermen and their wants. We all take, take and take, with nothing being given back.. ( Fresh water SIP's etc excluded )... Yes we are regulated by size and bag limits and Yes, the science to support these is not " great ", but with no or very little input from recreational catch data, the best they can do is guess. It is NOT their fault this happens, it is ours, Recreational fishers.. Having said that, there are many great people doing great work in regard to tagging, research, boat ramp catch data etc etc....

Yes, I am still against a RFL..... but I do like to be open minded and am quite keen to hear ideas.

Someone above mentioned they are happy with boat rego and trailer rego fees........ understand this..... these costs have increased over 200% in the last 5 years or so... well above inflation rates and the RUF has NOT increased.. you are being taken for a ride here my friends. In the NT there is NO trailer regos, there have been massive net buy backs and commercial restrictions and huge recreational fishing promotions which have bolstered the economy and the fishery there... some good lessons to heed.

I have found the lack of media attention that recreational fishing has received over the last couple of years is worrying , no press releases from Govt other than fishers ( pro and rec ) getting fined from the courts. Don't get me wrong, we don't need another Fishery review... I just have this feeling those in power have turned a deaf ear to our industry.

Despite what some may think. our inshore, estuary, bay and beach fisheries are in danger. Yes, you can still catch a feed, but anecdotal evidence is clear and does show a huge decline in numbers and quality. Commercial data also shows decline in many species.

I think the question must be put... " What can be done to stop the decline and also improve the fishery ? . Building toilets at boat ramps will not ! New bag and size limits will not ! Increased fines for undersized fish will not !

Keep on posting away guys..... good reading

cheers LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Qld Recreational Fishing Licence ?

Which research providers are you referring to here, Phil? Infofish?

Quote Originally Posted by aussiebasser View Post
    The Somerset Boating Permit has now gone. It was for maintaining the public areas run by SEQWater and did nothing to stock the lakes.
    Thanks Dale

I understand that it had nothing to do with fish stocking ..... but it was a hell of a sting - particularly when you used the launching facility at the camp ground (whilst paying camping fees) . You certainly didn't get much for that huge fee at the time.

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Thanks Dale

I understand that it had nothing to do with fish stocking ..... but it was a hell of a sting - particularly when you used the launching facility at the camp ground (whilst paying camping fees) . You certainly didn't get much for that huge fee at the time.

Chris
    true Chris, but you were subsidising all the other SEQWater lake users. North Pine had a Boating Permit and a SIP, but the Stocking Group got all the funds, Hinze Boating permit funds went to the Stocking Group, Maroon and Moogerah were free to use but you needed a SIP. Somerset was the best bang for their buck. Skiers and the most fished lake in the State.
    Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_Campbell View Post
    Which research providers are you talking about here, Phil? Infofish?
    Im guessing ones that don't try to tell us what the biomas is using data that is highly dodgy.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Kind of like Phil's "sum up".

I have found the lack of media attention that recreational fishing has received

Pretty much says it all. In a past life I/we had a red hot go at making fishing and "the fishing vote" an issue. We failed. We might have had a few little wins along the way, but what it proved, Just as Scott is finding out with his GSS net ban, is that it is a sideshow issue in the grand scheme of things. My advice, looking back, is stop your whinging, enjoy what you have and be happy that despite everything, we still have amongst the best managed fisheries in the world. License, no license, bag limits, commercial catch quotas ...bah humbug. Enjoy what you have already got because a bad days fishing in Australia is better than a good days fishing in most of the rest of the world. We don't care enough to vote for it because we have a first world problem.

Those that think Qld will do the same as NSW does are dreaming. I for one will not support it. Saltwater revenue in Queensland will go straight into consolidated revenue . Freshwater dam licence works well as it is and that's where it should stay.

Payments coming out of vessel registration should be enough.

You only need to see what NSW & Vic are achieving with their licenses to understand what we are NOT getting in Qld :-

I "personally" support and have been involved with the QRFN notion of a Recreational Fishing Licence (or permit) for Queensland, only if it meets a strict set of conditions. Following is the QRFN policy statement regarding a Rec Fishing Licence:

A recreational fishing licence/permit for Queensland is supported conditional on it being structured in order to ensure all funds raised are directed solely for the benefit of recreational fishing and fishers by way of a Trust Fund overseen by a stakeholder Board comprising a majority from the recreational fishing sector that manages the prioritisation and expenditure of the funds raised from the scheme

QRFN has identified a set of 10 conditions as follows, which it believes must be met by any government looking to introduce a recreational fishing licence into Queensland.

10 CONDITIONS REQUIRED for a Recreational Fishing Licence

1. Licence fees collected must be quarantined in a Trust account and cannot be used by government for any purpose other than those items approved by the appropriation/expenditure/review board and used to directly benefit recreational fishing in Qld above what would be normally expected of government.

2. All other existing Queensland government fisheries related fees, licences, permits and levies on recreational fishers to be removed immediately or phased out, including but not limited to SIP (Stocked Impoundment Permit) and RUF (Recreational Use Fee). However a commitment must be made to maintain at least previous funding levels to the SIPs and Suntag schemes.

3. RFL to be all species, areas, gears, and fisheries involving recreational fishing (freshwater and saltwater)

4. An appropriation/expenditure/review board with an independent chair to be created with a majority of board members to be recreational fishing representatives from across the state. A process is put in place to ensure that different recreational fisheries and different regions across the state are represented on the Board.

5. Conditions of expenditure/distribution to be determined prior to the introduction of a licence. All monies collected are to specifically benefit recreational fishing with unspent monies to carry over from year to year.

6. Qld Fisheries Management [or controlling authority] and government shall receive total funds at a maximum of 10% of monies received annually from the RFL scheme to fund administration and collection costs.

7. A major priority of funding to be the buying out and compensation of commercial netting in priority recreational fishing areas, especially adjacent to population centres.

8. A commitment from Government that ongoing progress will be made each year on the creation of net free areas with priority given to all previously identified priority net free areas, with at least 2 - 3 per year for the first 3 years.

9. A RFL to apply to all individuals fishing recreationally in Qld waters (apart from age and pension exceptions), with fees to be reviewed annually after a fixed initial 3 year period.

10. Provision of a limited annual grants program available to Queensland recreational fishing organizations.

I believe Sunfish, ANSA, QGFA, QAFCA , FSAQ ALL have a similar model they also WILL support if the Government of the day "commits" to these points above and "sells" the benefits that WILL COME with having the funds to do what we all know needs doing to protect & enhance recreational fishing in Qld .....

Regards Scotto
    So Many Fish - So little time !

I Proudly support the following companies: Shimano, G.Loomis, The Haines Group, Scientific Anglers, Abel Reels, Lowrance

NO! NO! NO! Not now, Not later, Not ever. We do not need another TAX (and lets face it, thats what it is). Another trough for public servants and pollies to put their snouts into. Once upon a time it was a cheap holiday to go camping and fishing. Now it is as cheap to rent a motel and they want the fishing to be more expensive as well. They will suggest a trial period. Do you think any government will give up any revenue source and say it wasnt worth it. Even if it wasnt effective the lisence will remain in place. Because they will rely on the income.They will try to say "its only a small amount of money" But after a few years of being indexed to cpi or inflation and dont forget to add gst or whatever excuse they wish to increase the cost before long it will be too expensive to go fishing. They can then put a spin on it and say that it has put less pressure on fish stocks (because it will be a costly exercise to go fishing).
    Look at the effect that beach permits have had on Noosa to Rainbow beach. It almost broke some of the Rainbow shop keepers as people stayed away in droves. Shop owners didnt require as much staff due to lower numbers of tourists.It effectively put more people on the dole. I know from my own experience that I personally dont go for a run up the beach anywhere near as often as I used to. Some councilors suggested if you vote for them,they will remove the permit. NEVER HAPPENS! Once any revenue stream is in place it will be set in stone and will increase over time. Governments are never afraid to put their prices up without considering what their customers can afford.
    Thats my rant. I know this is only an idea put forward for discussion but you can guarantee that some public servant will be gauging the response to see if they can maybe be able to get away with it.
    DONT GIVE THEM A FOOT IN THE DOOR. LEAVE ME AND MY FISHING PASTIME ALONE.
    Mick
    Not all tools are usefull.
    Nappies and politicians should be changed regularly for the same reason..