Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Qld Recreational Fishing Licence ?

Exclamation Qld Recreational Fishing Licence ?

I would like some discussion on this subject. Constructive or critical ? up to you, but have a think about this.

I am not saying a licence will be introduced here in Queensland and I will state that " I AM NOT IN FAVOUR " for various reasons, but !

If a licence was on the agenda and would be introduced, under what circumstances would be acceptable ?

To simply hand over a licence in exchange for money is a nonsense and should not be encouraged. Doing this generates apathy towards the fishery and disdain towards the licence issuer ( State Government ). To receive a licence should be considered a privilege and to accept one is to accept responsibility not only for your actions upon the fishery, but for the sustainability of the fishery, habitat and environment that harbors your attraction.

A licence is a responsibility more like a stewardship, whereby you utilise the fishery and care for it at the same time. Care encompasses the species of fish and other animals in that habitat, the responsible travel within that environment and the awareness of the impact we have.

There are 2 x 2 types of fishing, generally speaking. Land-based or vessel and fresh or saltwater.

Land-based fishing can be from various platforms including, beach, river bank, jetty or rocky headland and vessels including boats, kayaks or jet skis. Fresh water lakes, dams, rivers and to river deltas, bays and oceans for the salt.

Fishing not only touches the participants, but a plethora of indirect and or innocent bystanders, so to speak. Indirectly we have bait and tackle shops, fuel stations, accommodation, food shops and media platforms all benefiting from this activity. The innocent is the fishery, habitat, environment and any place in between.

The issuing of a Recreational Fishing Licence must be subject to conditions to make sure the holder of the licence is aware of their responsibilities as a Recreational Angler.

Conditions.:-:-

A test to identify a certain number of fresh water and salt water species, including crustaceans, molluscs and invertebrates .

A test to identify a certain number of bag limits of species.

A test to identify a certain number of size limits of species.

A test to ascertain the understanding of Green Zones, No take species and seasonal or physical closures.

A test to ascertain the understanding of fishing equipment regulations.

A test to ascertain the duty of care to the fishery, habitat and environment.

A test to ascertain the understanding of handling fish species in regard to catch and release.

A multiple choice type questionnaire is advisable with a correct percentage required to achieve a pass and hence, a licence being issued.

Further conditions which could be voluntary, would be to provide the issuer with contact details for future reference in regard to data collection to assist research.

The funds attained from the licence must at all times, be held in trust and used solely for the purpose of funding the licence itself, funding the enhancement of the recreational fishing activity by licence holders and research activities in respect of a sustainable fishery. A licence should only be issued to those who are also eligible to hold a drivers licence or recreational marine licence and those under that age, should not be made to obtain such licence. A licence fee must represent good value in the eyes of the recreational fishing public, must be made available online and must be accessed via an app or virtual form. Licence renewals must be sent via email address provided at the time of application and a systematic awareness program undertaken to keep this obligation visible.

A completely transparent accounting system must be accessible via the web-based site that not only provides monetary details but spending and physical assets or accomplishments . This must be available in a summary page updated annually. Persons responsible for the trust and disbursements must also be made known to the licence holders at all times. The trust members are to be determined by eligible licence holders on an annual basis through online voting system, with all nominees being named and their associations, affiliations or interests identified.

Fisheries Queensland must be appointed managers of the trust in association with private members to sustain continuity of management and structure. No trust monies are to be used to fund the Fisheries Queensland managers and only trust related expenses paid to private members.

All decisions in regard to disbursements or funding must be passed by a majority vote of all Trust members. Ideally, there would be 4 FQ members and 4 Private members. Ideally these members need only meet face to face once a year, due to the current technology available in todays communication environment. Certainly the members numbers should be spread enough to represent the entire state and not SEQ bias. In my opinion. 1 x NQ, 1 x CQ, 1 x SEQ and 1 x Fresh for private members. This number is the minimum required and certainly more can be added to achieve a large knowledge base to assist the fishery and licence holders.

I would really appreciate any responses, ideas or suggestions...

I know I have not covered all aspects, so here is your chance to have a say on those and anything else that comes to mind...

Cheers LP

Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Re: Qld Recreational Fishing Licence ?

Not in favour. Under any circumstances. Current situation wrt dam licences works.

Qld Recreational Fishing Licence ?

Sounds good in theory but I just can't see how it Wouldn't end being just another fee for the bureaucrats to exploit and put their hand in the cookie jar

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

No dont want a licence for salt the fresh water one is great for the stocking,and to do a test for a licence well its a sport its a food gathering thing that we do to eat and i dont think you need a licence to catch something to feed your self or the family.

The government don't own the resource and have no right to tax it as their own.
    A rec licence is just another tax on freedom as far as I'm concerned.
    The SIP is a different story as the fees pay for the stocking.

In my opinion the new SIP for the fresh is a disappointment for all members of the previous scheme .
    To be part of the new scheme all groups have to sign a nondisclosure statement preventing them from disclosing their new funding arrangements.
    this reeks of collusion so much for open government policy)
    The government will now cream off 30% of monies raised for admin.
    No complaint about the funding that new SIP groups will receive they were devastated by the newman government..
    I also have concerns about the manner that stocking groups will be allowed to utilize funds. I would now appear that the stocking groups may be forced to pay for signage etc at dams.
    With the composition of the proposed board giving fisheries a 30% membership certainly gives them an unfair advantage and in my opinion will result in any changes to current funding practices will possibly only advantage the fisheries budget rather than be to the benefit of the fishery.
    I have not been privileged to study the proposed sip document in full but what little I have seen there will be more losers that winners and much more pressure is going to be exerted on stocking groups to expand their resources into fundraising activities instead of actual stocking.
    Cheers
    Ray
    Last edited by rayken1938; 13-06-2017 at 02:30 PM. Reason: correction error only pointed out via snide remark on 13/6/17

Thanks for the input so far.

In response to Camhawk88, and don't get me wrong, I am still not in favour, but.... if a large chunk of the funds for a saltwater licence went into building and deploying artificial reefs, would this sway your thoughts ?

I do understand the SIP and re-stocking of freshwater, but I have discussed " wild stocking " saltwaters with FQ and they say it is not viable... I disagree, but to assist the fishing pressures, would not deploying a multitude of arti's be of great benefit to the fishery, almost like " re-stocking ".. almost

Yes, certainly chris69, I understand what you say about a feed, but let's remember not all rec fishos keep their catch. It would be nice for all rec fishos to understand their " duty of care " to the fishery, ie:- handling live fish, C & R techniques, responsible anchoring, bag and size limits to avoid confusion and possible legal implications and so much more.

Yes, Ray, I agree on the " FQ management fee " and there should be none, IMO.

Dirtyfuzz , you are correct and that is one of my fears. Any licence fees are to be banked into a trust and that trust used ONLY for the purposes of recreational fishery management and advancement. There has to be clear cut and transparent accountability at all times.

Keep the comments comping guys (y)

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post
    Thanks for the input so far.

In response to Camhawk88, and don't get me wrong, I am still not in favour, but.... if a large chunk of the funds for a saltwater licence went into building and deploying artificial reefs, would this sway your thoughts ?
    Not at all Phil. 2 reasons (Im going into SatNAv mode here)
    1) The government has proven time and time again they are incompetent and wasteful dealing with OUR money. IF (big if) any money was to go into arties it would be a very small % of the total collect. Administration, jobs for the boys and long lunches would gobble most of it up.
    2) Arits would only be rolled out in a few spots in Morton bay etc.so only a portion of the fee paying population see any benefit.

"I do understand the SIP and re-stocking of freshwater, but I have discussed " wild stocking " saltwaters with FQ and they say it is not viable..." or read that it will not buy any new votes.
    NSW fisheries have successfully bred and stocked whiting and jew into the wild and the Fisheries research station at Bribie have done a lot of work on other species. The technology is available all it needs is the drive which is sadly lacking.
    Let us face it we fishos are an apathetic lot and do not get wound up on an issue and by then it is too late and has already bitten us on the bum.Have a look at the Frazer coasts efforts and how little results they have achieved.Cheers
    Ray

Whilst in principle i could support a licensing scheme in QLD i would hate to see some of the expensive and restrictive practices that exist in other states introduced into Qld.
    Cheers
    Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Camhawk88 View Post
    Not at all Phil. 2 reasons (Im going into SatNAv mode here)
    1) The government has proven time and time again they are incompetent and wasteful dealing with OUR money. IF (big if) any money was to go into arties it would be a very small % of the total collect. Administration, jobs for the boys and long lunches would gobble most of it up.
    2) Arits would only be rolled out in a few spots in Morton bay etc.so only a portion of the fee paying population see any benefit.
    I sat on the Arti Reef working group that oversaw some arti's get deployed in SEQ. Myself and ALL other members ( non Government ) did this for free, ah yes, we did get a cuppa tea and piece of cake.

We recently deployed a couple of artificial reefs in Hervey Bay and outside Moreton Bay. There is other work being done to get some deployed off Weipa.

The thing is with Arti's, we need local people to make the applications and there is currently funding available for these. A good offshore arti is small change, compared to the return they provide.

The idea behind an Arti is to locate them where the most fishing pressure is and that is adjacent to high population areas.

Have a look at what is happening in WA in this link... http://recfishwest.org.au/

It's not a matter of funding for these, I think it is the will power or lack of it from the pointy end of town.

cheers

Where does all the $ go from our expensive boat regos?

nsw has this http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/maritime/r...tion/fees.html

I don't support any salt water fishing license if the qld government is in control.

If boat regos went down and a transparent fund was setup, it might be a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post
    I sat on the Arti Reef working group that oversaw some arti's get deployed in SEQ. Myself and ALL other members ( non Government ) did this for free, ah yes, we did get a cuppa tea and piece of cake.

We recently deployed a couple of artificial reefs in Hervey Bay and outside Moreton Bay. There is other work being done to get some deployed off Weipa.

The thing is with Arti's, we need local people to make the applications and there is currently funding available for these. A good offshore arti is small change, compared to the return they provide.

The idea behind an Arti is to locate them where the most fishing pressure is and that is adjacent to high population areas.

Have a look at what is happening in WA in this link... http://recfishwest.org.au/

It's not a matter of funding for these, I think it is the will power or lack of it from the pointy end of town.

cheers
    I applaud the work you do Phil. Politics has a tendency to destroy any fun of a hobby. I did this in the IT scene and it's now no fun.

I would support a licence if it was used to buy out or purchase commercial fishing quota, reducing commercial fishing effort. Not suggesting rec bag limits should be increased, but should result in a greater biomass available for recs.

But in reality, I would expect the funds to be wasted by the bureaucracy.

Re the tests, the same people that abuse bag limits and sizes would not bother obtaining a licence.

Ever fished a snag filled river in nsw. Been to the boat ramps. I'm in favour, as long as the money goes to the right places.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk