Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910
Results 136 to 140 of 140
  1. #136

    Re: Qld Recreational Fishing Licence ?

    Quote Originally Posted by aussiebasser View Post
    Sorry Lovey, from our surveys, the majority of recreational anglers on lakes Somerset and Wivenhoe, (the two most fished impoundments in Queensland) are fishing to catch a feed of fish. They are catching Golden Perch, Bass and Silver Perch for the table. That is the reason the Stocked Impoundment Permit Scheme was implemented, to maintain put and take fisheries so that people could target table fish.
    I have released every fresh water fish I've caught since I took a few Bass from Sommerset many years ago. The people you survey mustn't have taste buds. I was guilty at taking a few 50+cm Bass as two spoons worth were eaten before they were binned.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

  2. #137

    Re: Qld Recreational Fishing Licence ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    I have released every fresh water fish I've caught since I took a few Bass from Sommerset many years ago. The people you survey mustn't have taste buds. I was guilty at taking a few 50+cm Bass as two spoons worth were eaten before they were binned.
    A bit like impoundment barra ..... you need the right recipe - soak the fillets in diesel & milk over night (something like that)

    I tried to eat a bass out of Somerset once too ..... only once

    Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

  3. #138

    Re: Qld Recreational Fishing Licence ?

    Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    A bit like impoundment barra ..... you need the right recipe - soak the fillets in diesel & milk over night (something like that)

    I tried to eat a bass out of Somerset once too ..... only once

    Chris
    does that recipe end with throwing the rest away and eating the cardboard?
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

  4. #139

    Re: Qld Recreational Fishing Licence ?

    Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Hey Dale

    Just a quick one .... how does Wivenhoe gain such a large portion of the SIP funding ? - I would have thought that it would have been a fraction of Somerset

    Chris
    Surface area, it's 11,000 hectares although the cap is 4,000. With the now discontinued preference ticks, Wivenhoe was second and Somerset was first in the State. We fought for years to get Wivenhoe opened to outboards, and when it was, the usage escalated substantially. Garry Fitzgerald's, years long promotion of Kayak and Canoe fishing had a massive impact on the use of Lake Wivenhoe too. It was a concerted effort by a few blokes on the local stocking group, promoting the destination. Tho stock Wivenhoe to it's maximum potential, like some smaller dams have been stocked, we'd need about $3,000,000.00 per year.
    The whole system is being revamped, with 30 odd new lakes being added and the preference ticks being dropped, next year will see a difference to the funding.

    The 2015-16 preferences were;
    Bjelke Peterson 4.88% $33,202
    Boondooma* 5.13% $28,218
    Borumba 4.15% $16,877
    Burdekin* 1.37% $32,654
    Callide 1.60% $13,767
    Cania 2.40% $12,633
    Connolly 1.68% $2,468
    Cooby* 4.54% $4,542
    Coolmunda 3.55% $24,111
    Cressbrook* 5.08% $4,924
    Eungella 2.75% $18,164
    Fairbairn 1.66% $34,345
    Fred Haig 2.64% $43,616
    Glenlyon 2.65% $25,425
    Gordonbrook 1.31% $5,589
    Kinchant 3.67% $20,808
    Lake Dyer 1.70% $3,670
    Lake Gregory 1.33% $5,852
    Lake MacDonald 1.86% $7,625
    North Pine 2.59% $26,595
    Lenthalls 1.65% $10,865
    Leslie 5.16% $33,784
    Maroon 5.07% $16,051
    Moogerah 4.71% $24,455
    Peter Faust 2.77% $37,865
    Somerset 7.64% $64,226
    Storm King 1.44% $5,988
    Teemburra 2.89% $19,776
    Theresa Creek 1.62% $7,295
    Tinaroo 2.53% $39,294
    Wivenhoe* 6.12% $58,050
    Wuruma 1.84% $17,599
    Dale

    I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

  5. #140

    Re: Qld Recreational Fishing Licence ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    I have released every fresh water fish I've caught since I took a few Bass from Sommerset many years ago. The people you survey mustn't have taste buds. I was guilty at taking a few 50+cm Bass as two spoons worth were eaten before they were binned.
    Most anglers chase Golden Perch, and many specialise in Silver Perch. The 12' tinnies with 10hp motors make up the majority of SIP purchasers, and they are chasing a feed.

    As for taste, Fish wish naturally predate on Boney Bream will have a muddy taste, so Bass from Somerset, Wivenhoe and Moogerah are not all that nice, although if you trim the fat off them they are OK. Bass from Hinze, Maroon and other dams with fish having a more terrestrial diet have a much milder taste. It's the same with impoundment Barra, however, prepared properly, ie. bled at capture, chilled before filleting, all fat trimmed and properly sliced, again, they are quite presentable on the table. Any fish left in the boat at ambient temperature for more than half an hour will substantially deteriorate in eating quality.
    Dale

    I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Join us