Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Qld Recreational Fishing Licence ?

Re: Qld Recreational Fishing Licence ?

Not exactly sure making fishing gear more expensive would be a big hit, people whinge now about our prices and buy direct OS, causing tackle stores to close all over the place.
    Seems like the biggest hurdles are 1) where will the money go. 2) who will look after it. 3) no one wants an extra "tax" or to pay to go fishing. 4) invasion of privacy. 5) what will the money be spent on. Some those would be easy to put in place, the last 2 points will take some selling by either Government or some appointed representative "body"

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post
    Yes Chris, the exercise of growing fish in Aquaculture is an expensive one. I am fully aware of the costs, but that was some time ago. The Bribie Centre have now produced many species at their research centre.

The Cost Benefit Analysis favours wild stocking in todays environment. Whether it be Summer Whiting or Snapper, or Mud Crabs or Cobia, there is evidence the return far outweighs the expense.

It is very difficult to gather qualified data to back this, but all we have to do is look at how the NT have enhanced their reputation and fish stocks.

I spoke with the people in the know and they believe the recruitment of wild stocking would be less than 1% to maturity. Now considering that natural occurring recruitment of say Snapper, is also at less than 1% , why is wild stocking such an issue ? Let's understand from a Snapper point of view, that over 1 million eggs are produced by each Female. The economic input to the State coffers on a per fish basis on Snapper is hard to gauge, but no doubt with the recreational economic input touching 1 billion dollars a year, you can easily see how spending several thousand dollars to produce a season of Snapper can be extrapolated into a windfall for the Govt. AND, the fishery, and the fishoes. Add to this the deployment of artificial reefs that harbour these demersals and I can clearly see a fishery on the verge of being not only sustainable, but an attraction to tourist fishers as well, not to mention the benefits to the local fishers.

It takes a lot of foresight to envisage a fishery on the east coast of Queensland being a World Wide destination due to an expansive, diverse and highly sustainable bio-mass of all species.

Is a RFL the answer though ?

I think it is still a question of an organisation to represent Rec fishers with enough clout and punch to make things happen at State and Federal levels of Government.

Trying to convince some Leather Shiner, that plonking a few million dollars into the rec industry will return many times that amount in time, is the problem.

Maybe employing the Greens to lobby around town on this could work ? After all, saving the oceans creatures is what we are talking about here, are we not ?

77 posts down and a lot of good talk and to & fro'ing

IN the end and I know what some are saying.... it is hard to believe we all would benefit from a RFL... but if seeing the evidence of spending was clear cut, would this help ?

cheers LP
    Phill you mentioned its about saveing our oceans creatures but the most productive layer of ocean is from the surface down to 12 feet they say that's were a lot a larvie develops so for all of use to be running around in a boats with props spinning around chopping up this larvie so we are probably doing more to add to the depletion to our stocks from boating so getting the greens involved might not be a great idea.

The other issuse i have with a RFL and were moneys will be spent is how things have gone in the past with the allowcation of artificial reef it seems that certain lobby groups have more persuasion of were reefs go i dont want my money going to southen end of the bay like it has in the past and thats the problem that will happen if the RFL come into play who gets what first and who get what.

Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post
    Phill you mentioned its about saveing our oceans creatures but the most productive layer of ocean is from the surface down to 12 feet they say that's were a lot a larvie develops so for all of use to be running around in a boats with props spinning around chopping up this larvie so we are probably doing more to add to the depletion to our stocks from boating so getting the greens involved might not be a great idea.
    I'm sorry mate but this is laughable. Your point of not involving the greens is correct in so far as they will never support fishing but boat propellers causing mass planktonic mortality is one of the funnier things I have read on these forums in some time.

DucksNutz,

can you please lead me to an Australian reel manufacturer that is on par with Shimano or Diawa? If there was an Australian manufacturer on par with quality and price I would buy it. If not taxing the import of such items will only be detrimental to the Australian economy.

a real pipe dream but something that would be awesome to see is 1% of the 10% GST on recreational fishing items ring fenced and put into a fund to fund these things like stocking, reefs etc. If rec angling is worth over 1bn a year in related sales. That's 100m in GST. If 10m annually had to go back to the fishery that would be an awesome start.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Devil's advocate here.
    If this is about generating revenue to bolster fish stocks, why should people like me who fish for the sake of it and catch bugger all pay the same as blokes who fill 200 litre eskies with fish? No accusations of environmental terrorism intended.
    How about 2 separate bag limits? A reduced limit for sad people like me with no fee and a paid license for those who take more from the supply up to the current limits ?
    Then families can still enjoy the casual experience and the guys that get stuck in regularly put something back - because going on some of the posts and pictures on this forum, it certainly is a food source for some. Again, not saying anyone's doing wrong.
    Cue hate mail...

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Sorry lovey, I don't know of an Aussie reel manufacturer that is on par with Daiwa or Shimano. It's a shame we don't have one but I guess the point I was trying make is big time business in the fishing retail industry doesn't in my opinion do their part for a sustainable future.

Agree with you on the GST point. Would be a great idea.

I'd rather have a RFL under our terms, rather than one forced onto us. With the right management, allocation and use of funds, a RFL would be a great investment into the future of QLD fishing, aquaculture and tourism. For those folks blowing up about how it has always been their right to fish freely, think of it as protection (from the Greens) to continue doing that and giving back to a fishery which has provided you more than you've put back in. Generally as individuals you tend to care for things more if you have to pay for them, and even if the bureaucrats take 50% of the cut then it'll be worth it in the long run

Quote Originally Posted by kc View Post
    Ray I am not having a shot at Scott, or anyone else on a personal level. I just have a big issue with conflict of interest and know full well, as just about everyone who has ever worked on a committee or elected board which is flush with cash will have experienced. Money changes everything and everyone. It in itself, causes conflict, jealously and lobbying. Whose pet projects get funded and whose don't. Then the jockeying for board elections so that such and such gets shafted because he/she is doing something else. You would turn the Recreational fishing lobby into a cashed up version of a bowls club. Get out CrakerJack and watch the video. It is not satire, it is a documentary. When the gloves were off a few years ago and the fishing vote was making serious headway at a political level, Sunfish could never get involved because it didn't want to put its funding at risk, even with fights they should have been having. In my not so humble opinion, as soon as all these organisations are relient on Government handouts, they cease to be effective. Again, I am not into personal attacks but everyone, doing this with all good intent will be damaged, both in deed and reputation, if they hitch their wagon to funding via an RFL. If we have to have one, so be it, and by all means lobby for worthy projects to spend the money on, but don't accept a cent of it. Good people will get burnt and be replaced by people attracted to the "sugar on the table"
    Just to be clear I & ALL of those who I work with on the QRFN group are Volunteers who dedicate hundreds of hours ( years in some cases ) of non -paid volunteer work on these groups and committees. We genuinely act in what we believe is in the best interest of the wider recreation community. This is a task in itself as every time you ask the rec community for input all you get is a deathly silence ...... Until they get the the boat ramp or pub !

Apathy is one of our biggest challenges - along with division in our sector. And to clarify the QRFN is NOT funded by any one - neither is Sunfish any longer either ....

Regards Scotto
    So Many Fish - So little time !

I Proudly support the following companies: Shimano, G.Loomis, The Haines Group, Scientific Anglers, Abel Reels, Lowrance

Sorry to disappoint you Nagg for not putting up a stronger agrument but you don't live here so your opinions don't count im my book.

P.S. thanks for the jew that are traveling up from NSW.
    I'll second Nagg - And I live here NOW - But earlier :-)

Go The Blues .......

Scotto

I Proudly support the following companies: Shimano, G.Loomis, The Haines Group, Scientific Anglers, Abel Reels, Lowrance

Quote Originally Posted by Camhawk88 View Post
    1.Perhaps not so much that they are pushing for it- I cant see that as being a COI. However if an RFL was rolled out as per Scott's model, who would be representing the rec fishers on the committee? That's right- those in the above mentioned groups. And therein lies the COI.

2. It seems most feel that their way of life shouldn't have yet another government tax and layer of bureaucracy thrust upon it. If that makes me self righteous and selfish then I will wear that label.
    Whose other interests should be considered here Satnav? The only ones I can see are the government and, well... F*&K them.
    All the models I have seen clearly state that the expenditure of funds raised by the "proposed" general rec license or permit system for Qld - must be consulted with and approved by a committee made up of mostly rec anglers from across the state. The key rec organisation should have a place on that table as they are genuinely representing their membership - or they would not have any support. This is not to say other key rec representatives cannot secure positions on these committees - So I will ask those who have already contributed to this thread/tropic - Would YOU be prepared to go out into your local communities and ask for feedback on key rec issues effecting YOUR areas and then formally report back on a regular basis to the department or peak body voluntarily ?......

Scotto

Here's another question nobody likes to ask, if Recreational Anglers do have to pay a fee to fish, should Fishing Charter Operators have to pay a higher fee to operate and profit, from the fishery created by a Recreational Fishing Fee? A few of my friends probably won't like this, but why should someone at the moment be able to set themselves up as a Guide on a freshwater impoundment, with a fishery funded by the SIP Scheme, and make a profit from it? Similarly, Fishing Tournaments held on Stocked Impoundments which do not assist in the funding of the fishery.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Would people living in southeast Queensland and northern NSW who fish either side of the border have to hold two rec licenses?

Quote Originally Posted by Camhawk88 View Post
    I'm sorry mate but this is laughable. Your point of not involving the greens is correct in so far as they will never support fishing but boat propellers causing mass planktonic mortality is one of the funnier things I have read on these forums in some time.
    I did not mention plankton, try googleing the life cycle of a mud crab and find out were female mud crabs spawn.

Quote Originally Posted by aussiebasser View Post
    Here's another question nobody likes to ask, if Recreational Anglers do have to pay a fee to fish, should Fishing Charter Operators have to pay a higher fee to operate and profit, from the fishery created by a Recreational Fishing Fee? A few of my friends probably won't like this, but why should someone at the moment be able to set themselves up as a Guide on a freshwater impoundment, with a fishery funded by the SIP Scheme, and make a profit from it? Similarly, Fishing Tournaments held on Stocked Impoundments which do not assist in the funding of the fishery.
    What Steve Morgan doesnt donate to the local stocking when he runs a bass comp?
    And they would have contributed to the impoundment because they need a SIP to be fishing there be it a guides customer or a competition fisher and yes i can see were your comeing from and it does open another can of worms that i don't want to see the government getting involved in, as we all know you get more than you bargined for.

I did not mention plankton, try googleing the life cycle of a mud crab and find out were female mud crabs spawn.
    Larvae are plankton mate. Fully aware of the life cycle of the mud crab and many other inshore (and offshore which utilise inshore waters in the larval stage) species.
    The premise that boat props have any measurable impact upon mortality and survivorship of planktonic species is a bit ridiculous.Natural predation on plankton would be infinitely higher in comparison.