Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Qld Recreational Fishing Licence ?

Re: Qld Recreational Fishing Licence ?

No not the same deal Nagg shooting happens on private property and the gun licence is to keep track of things, the ocean and bays and creeks should be free to use we pay enough for fuel and fishing gear and rego as it is,the SIP is great because the dams aren't naturally stocked with most fish species.

Ive spoken to a guy at the bribie aquaculture center and he did a restocking program for the Maroochydore council a long time ago and he said he would not do it again and the finerlings cost heaps not all species are easy to reproduce as you have to grow the food to feed those little things.

Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post
    No not the same deal Nagg shooting happens on private property and the gun licence is to keep track of things, the ocean and bays and creeks should be free to use we pay enough for fuel and fishing gear and rego as it is,the SIP is great because the dams aren't naturally stocked with most fish species.

Ive spoken to a guy at the bribie aquaculture center and he did a restocking program for the Maroochydore council a long time ago and he said he would not do it again and the finerlings cost heaps not all species are easy to reproduce as you have to grow the food to feed those little things.
    does all hunting occur ob private land ? ..... what about Crown land ? -
    as for the gun licence - really (keeps track of things ?)

NSW fisheries stock waterways with Jewfish ( a real success story) - Kings prawns have even been stocked - on top of Murray & Eastern Cod , bass , trout (rainbow, brown & brook) , silver perch , atlantic salmon ....... so if it works down south why wouldn't it work in Qld ? - Barramundi are relatively easy and Gladstone hatchery were even breeding Mangrove Jack when I had a tour of the place

Sorry - I'm just not seeing a strong argument other than ..... not wanting to pay a fee to go fishing

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What stronger argument would you like Nagg?

Opening the wallet to pay another "fee" is enough for me to say "get stuffed" to the bastards who take enough taxes, rego's and whatever else the mongrels take! Bloody hell bloke, do you or any one else really want to give your hard earned to the knobs that have proven time and time again they have know idea how to manage this great land of ours!

Sorry for the rant Nagg,
    Drives me bloody nuts that a one time favourite pastime of this country has to put up with crap like this.

I think you have to look at it slightly differently, rather than a "fee" to go fishing, think of it as a way to at least get something positive done for our recreational fishing, not saying it's right or wrong, but, no one is trying to invade your privacy, or say you can't fish or anything else, it's just a "user pays" way to perhaps better our current fish stocks!

Blog Entries

Or........ Noelm,

you could say enough is enough of piss poor management with our taxes, rego's etc,etc,etc......

I am all for user pays when it is of significance such as tolls on new infrastructure such as roads, tunnels etc.....

My opinion is a RFL would do nothing more than create more wasted revenue for any government that holds power.

A lot of people seem to be missing the point that one of the key points of the proposed RFL is that it will be managed by a trust and all monies raised will be quarantined from the governments sticky fingers.
    You may save a miserable 70 to 80c a week but unless some regulation and management structures are put in place and effectively enforced in10 years there will not be a viable fishery near to major population areas.
    As for the costs of fingerlings last time i looked the cost of bass and yellowbelly fingerlings was just over 30c and there are plenty of hatcherys making a good living.
    You cannot use the cost of fingerlings from the Bribie research centre as a valid cost . They put in an enormous effort to develop methods of producing fingerlings and once they have perfected the method they give the results at no costs to anyone.
    I think that it took them over 5 years to crack the secret of producing jungle perch fingerlings.
    "I am all for user pays when it is of significance such as tolls on new infrastructure such as roads, tunnels etc....." that you are already paying for in your regos and fuel excise.
    Cheers
    Ray

Blog Entries

Ray,
    My point is why add another tax,fee etc...or whatever you want to call a RFL......to an already over burdened taxpayer.

As for missing the point, call me cynical, but the trust you mention will ultimately be handed to a government bureaucracy.

Quote Originally Posted by rayken1938 View Post
    A lot of people seem to be missing the point that one of the key points of the proposed RFL is that it will be managed by a trust and all monies raised will be quarantined from the governments sticky fingers.
    You may save a miserable 70 to 80c a week but unless some regulation and management structures are put in place and effectively enforced in10 years there will not be a viable fishery near to major population areas.
    As for the costs of fingerlings last time i looked the cost of bass and yellowbelly fingerlings was just over 30c and there are plenty of hatcherys making a good living.
    You cannot use the cost of fingerlings from the Bribie research centre as a valid cost . They put in an enormous effort to develop methods of producing fingerlings and once they have perfected the method they give the results at no costs to anyone.
    I think that it took them over 5 years to crack the secret of producing jungle perch fingerlings.
    "I am all for user pays when it is of significance such as tolls on new infrastructure such as roads, tunnels etc....." that you are already paying for in your regos and fuel excise.
    Cheers
    Ray
    You know what I think would unite every single fisho on this forum and with enough sustained pressure from a united front could actually work?

A united lobbying of the QLD government to turn over the RUF fees to a trust and have committees set up to ensure that 100% of the funds are going towards the facilities the RUF was designed for. Pretty soon the facilities would get built all the way up the coast and surpluses begin to build. Then we can lobby for those surplus funds to be spent on artificial reefs and stocking efforts.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    does all hunting occur ob private land ? ..... what about Crown land ? -
    as for the gun licence - really (keeps track of things ?)

NSW fisheries stock waterways with Jewfish ( a real success story) - Kings prawns have even been stocked - on top of Murray & Eastern Cod , bass , trout (rainbow, brown & brook) , silver perch , atlantic salmon ....... so if it works down south why wouldn't it work in Qld ? - Barramundi are relatively easy and Gladstone hatchery were even breeding Mangrove Jack when I had a tour of the place

Sorry - I'm just not seeing a strong argument other than ..... not wanting to pay a fee to go fishing

Chris
    Sorry to disappoint you Nagg for not putting up a stronger agrument but you don't live here so your opinions don't count im my book.

P.S. thanks for the jew that are traveling up from NSW.

Although I'm not a fan of a Recreational Fishing License for Queensland, (Vested interest and all that.) The licensing systems in place in NSW and NSW don't seem to have an effect on the number of people enjoying recreational angling. I do notice a lot more enforcement officers on the water in NSW and Victoria when I fish there. The Victorian Angling fees have helped in the massive effort of resurrecting Trout Cod and more recently Macquarie Perch as a viable angling target. While I don't believe it should be the rec. anglers responsibility, an RFL could assist with the Mary River Cod program. (Personally, I believe the decline in Mary River Cod was not due to rec angling effort, but by degradation of fish habitat, and anglers shouldn't have to pay for that.)
    If the money is quarantined and only used for the benefit of recreational angling, and the current SIP scheme is not robbed of funds, I can only see an RFL as a good thing.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

Sorry to disappoint you Nagg for not putting up a stronger agrument but you don't live here so your opinions don't count im my book.

P.S. thanks for the jew that are traveling up from NSW.
    I dont live there any more .... that's true but I travel to Qld for a fish a couple of times a year -
    I have a SIP & I would have no problem with paying for an RFL ..... but then again I can see the bigger picture
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by Ducksnutz View Post
    What stronger argument would you like Nagg?

Opening the wallet to pay another "fee" is enough for me to say "get stuffed" to the bastards who take enough taxes, rego's and whatever else the mongrels take! Bloody hell bloke, do you or any one else really want to give your hard earned to the knobs that have proven time and time again they have know idea how to manage this great land of ours!

Sorry for the rant Nagg,
    Drives me bloody nuts that a one time favourite pastime of this country has to put up with crap like this.
    we all pay a raft of taxes and fees ..... from parking on a street through driving and owning a car - it's the way of the world . in the case of many of these what do you get for it ? I don't like paying these any more than the next person . But when it comes to paying a fee to go fishing ..... & where the fisherman benefits , that's different . For less than $0.08 / day for my 3 year licence ..... I like the idea that my fees have helped lock out commercial fishing from many of the destinations that I fish or that when I go up the snowy mountains there is good fish management and stocking - giving me the chance to land that trophy fish or my local waterways have good stocks of bass . ..... & that is only a start .
    The benefits are real - if it is done properly .

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Yes Chris, the exercise of growing fish in Aquaculture is an expensive one. I am fully aware of the costs, but that was some time ago. The Bribie Centre have now produced many species at their research centre.

The Cost Benefit Analysis favours wild stocking in todays environment. Whether it be Summer Whiting or Snapper, or Mud Crabs or Cobia, there is evidence the return far outweighs the expense.

It is very difficult to gather qualified data to back this, but all we have to do is look at how the NT have enhanced their reputation and fish stocks.

I spoke with the people in the know and they believe the recruitment of wild stocking would be less than 1% to maturity. Now considering that natural occurring recruitment of say Snapper, is also at less than 1% , why is wild stocking such an issue ? Let's understand from a Snapper point of view, that over 1 million eggs are produced by each Female. The economic input to the State coffers on a per fish basis on Snapper is hard to gauge, but no doubt with the recreational economic input touching 1 billion dollars a year, you can easily see how spending several thousand dollars to produce a season of Snapper can be extrapolated into a windfall for the Govt. AND, the fishery, and the fishoes. Add to this the deployment of artificial reefs that harbour these demersals and I can clearly see a fishery on the verge of being not only sustainable, but an attraction to tourist fishers as well, not to mention the benefits to the local fishers.

It takes a lot of foresight to envisage a fishery on the east coast of Queensland being a World Wide destination due to an expansive, diverse and highly sustainable bio-mass of all species.

Is a RFL the answer though ?

I think it is still a question of an organisation to represent Rec fishers with enough clout and punch to make things happen at State and Federal levels of Government.

Trying to convince some Leather Shiner, that plonking a few million dollars into the rec industry will return many times that amount in time, is the problem.

Maybe employing the Greens to lobby around town on this could work ? After all, saving the oceans creatures is what we are talking about here, are we not ?

77 posts down and a lot of good talk and to & fro'ing

IN the end and I know what some are saying.... it is hard to believe we all would benefit from a RFL... but if seeing the evidence of spending was clear cut, would this help ?

cheers LP
    Last edited by Lucky_Phill; 05-06-2017 at 07:45 PM.
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

There may be one fishing 'tax' that might perhaps gain some support - the introduction of serious fines and actual confiscation of fishing equipment, including boats. No more theoretical maximums - time for some scary actuals. Found in court to have done the wrong thing? Your gear is sold, you are seriously fined and the proceeds from their sale are put into fish stocking and assets, rather than into consolidated revenue. You want to take under-sized fish? You're going to pay. You're a repeat offender? You're going to pay heaps into restocking and infrastructure. You're a pro who repeatedly does the wrong thing? Your boat is sold and you can't fish again. Ever. No licence again. Zip. Nada. Current fines for recreational evil-doers are a joke. 38 crab pots, a $6,000 fine and no conviction recorded. Oh, and if I'm in ever in the magistrate's chair, don't think you are going to walk away with just a bond after belting some poor innocent on his way home just because you are full of jungle juice and poor attitude. Old school time. Enough of the 'I made a poor choice" excuses. Time for some 'I made a bloody expensive choice' responses. Let's call it a 'Remediation Fishing Tax." Now that's a tax I'd support. Forget a monetary clip over the ear - let's go for distance!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    we all pay a raft of taxes and fees ..... from parking on a street through driving and owning a car - it's the way of the world . in the case of many of these what do you get for it ? I don't like paying these any more than the next person . But when it comes to paying a fee to go fishing ..... & where the fisherman benefits , that's different . For less than $0.08 / day for my 3 year licence ..... I like the idea that my fees have helped lock out commercial fishing from many of the destinations that I fish or that when I go up the snowy mountains there is good fish management and stocking - giving me the chance to land that trophy fish or my local waterways have good stocks of bass . ..... & that is only a start .
    The benefits are real - if it is done properly .

Chris
    With respect Nagg,

anyone can can quote figures and costs to support an argument. Could you tell me if it costs more for a rec licence per day if you pay monthly, quarterly or annually rather than every 3 years?

Assuming the cost is 8 cents per day and my math is correct, that amounts to $87.60 for three years which doesn't seem a lot. Now throw in mum, dad, little johnny and sally it becomes $350.40 if you pay the discounted price for three yearly licence. (See what I did with quoting figures to suit an argument) For the record my kids have moved out of home but having raised a family for more than 20 years on a single pay cheque every dollar counts and fishing for our family was an affordable pastime.

Call me cynical but I can't see how another tax on the working class will be of any benefit other than revenue for the knobs in power to waste.

My idea to support funding for our fisheries and waterways is for a tax on imported fishing equipment suppliers such as Daiwa and Shimano. Specifically gear made in China that produce massive amounts of profit for little return in regards to the health of the system. The tax would go into a trust managed by an organisation that ispecifically has fishing as its priority. These importers could in return advertise that they are partners in helping the future.
    I know that ultimately it will be passed on to the customer, but it also might make fishos think about buying Aussie made products which has a domino effect on the economy.