Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Qld Recreational Fishing Licence ?

Re: Qld Recreational Fishing Licence ?

10. Provision of a limited annual grants program available to Queensland recreational fishing organizations.

I believe Sunfish, ANSA, QGFA, QAFCA , FSAQ ALL have a similar model .

& there., ladies and gentleman, is the issue writ large. Money. Sell your soul for it.

It is called "conflict of interest".....how can any group campaign for a license fee/tax which they will ultimately financially benefit from? Have you no shame? No matter the excuses, or being an NFP, or even if it will be put to good use. It IS a gross conflict of interest and this is how the steady drip of corruption starts. Find a "well funded" NFP and you will find infighting, stacked board elections and playing favourites with the projects being funded. Don't sell your soul to the devil. It is not worth it. Better to live with your principles.

Good one Scott you can start running the state too if you like, what would we have done before you moved to qld if you want to sit around with your mates and start dictating to us queenslander may be you should move back to were you came from or do they hate you there too.

What right does the QRFN to bring forward this notion for all recfishers and only if it meets strict set of QRFNs conditions.

"Good one Scott you can start running the state too if you like, what would we have done before you moved to qld"

So if you are not born in Qld you have no right to think or bring forward a proposal?

" I believe Sunfish, ANSA, QGFA, QAFCA , FSAQ ALL have a similar model .

& there., ladies and gentleman, is the issue writ large. Money. Sell your soul for it."
    I have little knowledge of the composition of the boards of the above organizations but from what I have observed to me they seem to be pretty dedicated to the recreational fishing movement and mainly consist of volunteers from all walks of life so how could they possibly get a financial gain from government assistance.
    Lets leave personal attacks out of the debate and concentrate on the debate which is should we have a RFL in qld and if so how to bring it about .
    Cheers
    Ray

1. All those boards are dedicated to their own so called organisations and the point missed was organisations like this receiving funds from any such RFL is a conflict of interest when these same boards are pushing for and backing the same.

2. The tone of the recreational brigade is coming across very strong as a self righteous lot who don't give a dam about anything or anybody else other than there own self interests.

I'm sure some of the organisations are in it for their own rewards. Even though they are non-profit some of the Executive members get paid to sit on the groups. Infofish wanted around $2000 from the Somerset and Wivenhoe Fish Stocking Association for the tag return details from Somerset. We stock the lake and they wanted to charge us for the return information. I don't see that as a co-operative arrangement for improving fisheries.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

It's a bit rough taking a jab at Scott for being passionate about recreational fishing and saying your not from qld doesn't cut it he has business and has a true interest in fishing and Hervey Bay from what I have read over the years .
    At least he puts something on the table and try's to do something that may benefit the many who do nothing. And I mean to say even state of origin has non Queenslander s playing for them look at GI come on let's play nice here guys and great work Everyone for putting up ideas. Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Ray I am not having a shot at Scott, or anyone else on a personal level. I just have a big issue with conflict of interest and know full well, as just about everyone who has ever worked on a committee or elected board which is flush with cash will have experienced. Money changes everything and everyone. It in itself, causes conflict, jealously and lobbying. Whose pet projects get funded and whose don't. Then the jockeying for board elections so that such and such gets shafted because he/she is doing something else. You would turn the Recreational fishing lobby into a cashed up version of a bowls club. Get out CrakerJack and watch the video. It is not satire, it is a documentary. When the gloves were off a few years ago and the fishing vote was making serious headway at a political level, Sunfish could never get involved because it didn't want to put its funding at risk, even with fights they should have been having. In my not so humble opinion, as soon as all these organisations are relient on Government handouts, they cease to be effective. Again, I am not into personal attacks but everyone, doing this with all good intent will be damaged, both in deed and reputation, if they hitch their wagon to funding via an RFL. If we have to have one, so be it, and by all means lobby for worthy projects to spend the money on, but don't accept a cent of it. Good people will get burnt and be replaced by people attracted to the "sugar on the table"

Quote Originally Posted by SatNav View Post
    1. All those boards are dedicated to their own so called organisations and the point missed was organisations like this receiving funds from any such RFL is a conflict of interest when these same boards are pushing for and backing the same.

2. The tone of the recreational brigade is coming across very strong as a self righteous lot who don't give a dam about anything or anybody else other than there own self interests.
    1.Perhaps not so much that they are pushing for it- I cant see that as being a COI. However if an RFL was rolled out as per Scott's model, who would be representing the rec fishers on the committee? That's right- those in the above mentioned groups. And therein lies the COI.

2. It seems most feel that their way of life shouldn't have yet another government tax and layer of bureaucracy thrust upon it. If that makes me self righteous and selfish then I will wear that label.
    Whose other interests should be considered here Satnav? The only ones I can see are the government and, well... F*&K them.

Those who are for it have their opinion and that is their right. I am sure if they ask enough pollies or nfp organisations they will find somebody who will be only too pleased to make their donations disappear. Give them every dollar you can afford and then give some more .Then you can feel warm and fuzzy all over after doing your good deed. But that doesnt mean I have to be included as well in donating more of my hard earned towards their cause. I cant help every charitable institution & I dont wish to pay another new tax out of my already pre taxed dollars, I dont have enough money. You are more than welcome to put some in if you feel that it is a good idea. But I dont think it is a good idea,so I dont want to contribute. Thanks for the opportunity but this time I will pass.
    Mick
    Not all tools are usefull.
    Nappies and politicians should be changed regularly for the same reason..

Ok lets us agree that some people are against funding be given to recreation fishing organizations same as some do not monies from licenses be spent on infrastructure such as ramps etc.
    Where do you think that members of the trust fund should be drawn from?
    What selection process?
    Qualification needed.
    Cheers
    Ray

I guess the whole thing is like the rec fishers movement in general, everyone is in a flap about their own backyard, and want pros banned, ramps built, fish restocked and everything else, as long as it doesn't interfere with their privacy or cost them a few dollars, if all the rec fisher folk were united statewide and then nation wide, we might have a slim hope of getting "things" done, but as it is, just arguing about everything will get nowhere.
    Last edited by Noelm; 30-05-2017 at 08:00 PM. Reason: spelling

Any licence fee would need to be put into trust - first & foremost ...... that is the only way that it can be quarantined from consolidated revenue .

As for the grants ..... as in NSW & as per Scotts suggestion - that could come many years down the track once the pro licences have been acquired & stocking programs well underway - these two initiatives alone would make a licence fee well worthwhile. - The creation of more artificial habitats would be also on the agenda .

I reckon you could see 10-15 years worth of licence fees put to great use to help improve the Qld fisheries & put it in a better position to help deal with the increased pressure placed on the fisheries through population growth , tourism , technology etc ....... it's either that or catch rates will continue to fall & or bag limits will be slashed ! The proof of the success in NSW can be seen in the turnaround in highly pressured fisheries like Sydney Harbour & Botany Bay over the past decade ....

Chris

Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

You lot just dont get it its a food source too and to pay for the right to gather food to eat dose add up, ausfish don't repersent all of the receational fishers out there so have a think about that when a few want to force 99.9% of the rec fishers out there to pay to go fishing to catch something to eat,fishing is a food source first and a receational sport second this about someone trying to force something on everyone for the greater good of a few end of story.

It's certainly not a food source for me. In fact I should get paid for feeding the fish.

Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post
    You lot just dont get it its a food source too and to pay for the right to gather food to eat dose add up, ausfish don't repersent all of the receational fishers out there so have a think about that when a few want to force 99.9% of the rec fishers out there to pay to go fishing to catch something to eat,fishing is a food source first and a receational sport second this about someone trying to force something on everyone for the greater good of a few end of story.
    That's an interesting take on the matter Chris

dont Qlders pay for a shooters licence ? ..... to knock over a pig etc ..... $30 something pa - same deal isn't it ?

Wouldn't you like to see funding go into making it a sustainable source of protein ? ..... $35 pa seems like a small price to pay for what could be thousands of dollars worth of seafood in a year .

I just paid my $100 ish dollars for a 3 year NSW licence ...... I keep fish rarely but now after a recent trip to Evans head - I got that back 10 fold just in crab & fish.

No one likes paying a new tax .... (I thought the same thing when NSW introduced ours ) but when the bigger picture is seen along with improved results - hell it is a small price to pay.

Why wouldn't you expect results like those achieved under the SIP ...... an absolute Qld success story.

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO