Thread: rocket launcher fixing advice

rocket launcher fixing advice

photo removed

Re: rocket launcher fixing advice

A block of polly. You could buy a trailer skid and cut to suit from local boat shop. I would seal the rocket launcher to gunnel with sika to stop vibration and any gunk getting under there.

content removed

Never seen one that wasn't just bolted hard against the glass. Never seen any sort of packer apart from under the coaming to spread the load of the fixtures - the way the hardwood was. If you do fit anything it would need to be solid so as to not enable any movement - which will get worse as whatever it is wears. Personally I would either get another block of hardwood and treat it well with everdure or look at some very heavy alloy plate with the edges chamfered bedded into sika or similar. If you are worried about staining just make sure you put some sealant under the stainless base where it is in contact with the glass.

I'd get some thick SS washers (fender washers, big OD with smaller hole) when you consider what's normally used on the inside of the transom to bolt outboards on with.
    SS will avoid any reaction.

The modern alternative is to glue a product like "G10" under the gunwale instead of the hardwood where the glass thickness isn't enough to do it on its own (more of an issue on 2 year old boats than 20 year old boats). G10 is a solid fibreglass board made under pressure. Because its fibreglass it will glue in place and become part of the structure rather than a big washer and its dense enough that you can actually drill and tap it. Go for a thickness slightly higher than your bolt diameter.

went through a similar thing a while back except the stainless seat was c shaped and bolted inside and outside.The thing I was going to suggest to look at is ..the condition of the 3 holes themselves closely and the fibreglass .is there an appreciable amount of hollowing out of the holes themselves...and is the fibreglass still in good condition...Personally I prefer not to lock up this sort of thing with sealant..it should be a good tight fit..it really shouldnt need it and its easier to remove should you need to..but thats only my view.

content removed

Oh, and if you need to drill holes in fibreglass get the bluntest bit possible, sharp new bits will just chip away the gel coat.

content removed