Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seafarer Viking vs Ventura (5.2M)

Seafarer Viking vs Ventura (5.2M)

Hello all,

Finally narrowing down my search on which old hull to purchase. I have heard mixed reports on the Viking and Ventura performance. Some say they bang and soak the passengers, others say they are a stable comfortable sea hull. A lot of this I put down to poor rev control and weather, though I would like some more info from the wise men and women of Ausfish.

How would you rate the hulls sea handling ability? (I understand the Ventura and Viking are same hull different top mould)

Which would you consider to be the better sea handling variant? I appreciate the Viking has considerably more room, though I assume the trade off would be a harsher ride when compared to a Ventura.

Any thoughts or advise would be appreciated. Thanks again!

Re: Seafarer Viking vs Ventura (5.2M)

I have an older ventura(17ft, 5.2m) Great boat. Haven't been in a viking, but can't fault my ventura.
    Very dry boat. Not sure who says they're wet. I had a 20ft Caribbean before it and loved it, but Ventura kills it, even though smaller and lighter.
    Been in some decent seas and had no scares, no bad habits discovered yet.
    Only point i dont like, i guess applies to all 17ft half cabs, lack of fishing room. Easily fishes 2 blokes, any more might be cramped.....

Sent from my SM-G930F using Ausfish mobile app

thanks mate, i have just come across a viking rebuilt for a bloody good price. in saying that, i love the look of both, look to be sound old hulls.

thanks again

Owned a 5.2 viking with a 90. Was a good boat. Handled well, they are low in the front so need a bit of care in steep large chop.

Also had a vermont with a pod and 200hp. Was a much better boat with the pod.

Ventura would still go well, but is the ugly sister.

Thanks mate, being that the viking is model'd as a cuddy cab, can the boat be steered comfortably standing as well as seated? I.e. A cross between runabout and half cab positioning.

I'll be using the viking for Moreton bay and the occasional offshore session when the weather is right, looks to be a decent bit of kit

I have a V-sea the baby sister of the Viking and I stand while driving and find it the best way.

As for the olderViking a mate has one and I have put a lot of hours in that boat with him and find standing while driving is absolutely okay, I'm 6' tall.

As for being to low I didn't find this at all. He has a 115 Johnson Oceanpro (2 stroke) which pushes it along perfectly.

A wet boat - I did NOT find that. Over the years we have had a few sprays, but I put this down to driving and sea conditions.

VIKING - a great fishing boat that handles a sea very well if driven to the conditions (like all boats)

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums

I found standing up to be very comfortable. Wheel was at a good height and throttle as well.

Thanks for all the replies guys, these seem like a sound purchase. I was keen for a Haines until the Haines hunter tax etched me out of the market by about 10k!!

My only remaining concern is how they perform in an oncoming sea, there's a few threads indicating they bang and slap uncomfortably while on the plane, obviously i would like to plane through average chop without breaking my knees. (coming from a 4.65 ally anything will be better)

Also how do they perform as a trolling boat?

I bought a 17' Viking 17 Years ago as a stop gap between boats, still got it so that should tell you something.

No bad traits at all & I doubt there would be any noticeable differences between the Viking & the Ventura other than cabin space Vs deck space.

My advice is if you get one then get a good one because it may well be the last boat you ever buy.
    Rated to 175 HP /180 Kg so that makes them a perfect candidate for a future 4 stroke re-power.

70 HP I3 = WOT 28 Knots, motor too light for the hull.
    90 HP V4 = WOT 35+ Knots, good balance with 137 Kgs.

These things are begging for 4 strokes unlike many older boats that really can't handle the extra weight all that well.

Got a pamphlet here just to get you going.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Double post, just shows how enthusiastic I am.

thanks mate, Jeez you must love them!

if you don't mind me asking, what kind of fishing do you do with your rig? the one I am looking at comes with a 175 Yamaha saltwater series seems like about 60HP overkill, but we will see. Ultimately I love the travelling behaviour of the Haines 17c/l/r but cant justify the spend. being my first Fibreglass hull, I want to make sure I get it right haha

Would be a great performer. Would do 50 knots easily and be pretty economical at cruise. They troll fine and are pretty decent into a head sea chop.

The biggest problem with them, was they fell apart as the timber used rotted away. Make sure it has been rebuilt very well.

50 knots Robbo? That's stupid fast. Pictures or it didn't happen. I reckon you'd need 250hp for that but will happily stand corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealPoMo View Post
    50 knots Robbo? That's stupid fast. Pictures or it didn't happen. I reckon you'd need 250hp for that but will happily stand corrected.
    They're a light 5.2m boat. 175 v6 not a problem.

The experience is from that hull with 900mm pod 3/4 width of hull which added a couple hundred kilos. 200hp v6 and did 51 knots. I think the viking standard with a 175 would be faster. My old one with a 3 cyl 90 did 38 knots.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by robothefisho; 26-05-2017 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Added photo

I jumped in 1 today. Top looking boat. My onlyc concern was the limited helm space and the angled windscreen. If i added clears, my head would touch them while standing! has anyone worked around this? Pending hull inspection saturday, ill be a happy owner in a few days.