Thread: Brisbane River Firing

Ausfish Silver Member jackson4300's Avatar

Brisbane River Firing

Headed out very early Saturday morning to drop some pots and have a fish.
    Got to the mouth of the river around 3:30, after getting live bait and sounding around put the anchor down around 5. Had found what I thought was a tight school of bait on the bottom with a couple of decent fish sitting over it.
    At 5:30 the first fish was on board and had another fish every half hour till I packed up at 7:30. Managed 2 salmon (106 and 91) and 3 jewies (88, 95 and 78). Everytime I saw a fish come through on the sounder a rod would go off. Missed 2 fish inbetween those 5 as well. Was a great session.
    Managed 7 sandies from the pots, had gotten 32 on Wednesday morning from the same area so they slowed down a bit.
    Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo 20-05-2017, 5 30 13 AM.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	70.4 KB 
ID:	115717   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo 20-05-2017, 5 53 45 AM.jpg 
Size:	63.9 KB 
ID:	115718   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo 20-05-2017, 6 31 06 AM.jpg 
Size:	90.3 KB 
ID:	115719   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo 20-05-2017, 7 03 40 AM.jpg 
Size:	90.0 KB 
ID:	115720   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo 20-05-2017, 7 35 04 AM.jpg 
Size:	98.8 KB 
ID:	115721  

Re: Brisbane River Firing

mate you put the hard work in and certainly get the rewards back.
    Very impressive, well done well done

I gave up 3am starts this year, get knackered for the next 2 days, age is creeping up slowly

Max

G'day Jackson. First of all, thanks for posting the quality reports on the river. Inspiring stuff and made me decide to get there more often and work it out. Just a question for you though. At 3 O'clock in the morning do you jig your livies or cast net for them? I went out just before the foam spill and cast netted for some in Boggy Creek. We picked up a nice Jew (after 6 stingrays!!) but just wondering what how you get them around the mouth pre-dawn? Keep posting!!

Therapy...

Ausfish Silver Member jackson4300's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by therapy View Post
    G'day Jackson. First of all, thanks for posting the quality reports on the river. Inspiring stuff and made me decide to get there more often and work it out. Just a question for you though. At 3 O'clock in the morning do you jig your livies or cast net for them? I went out just before the foam spill and cast netted for some in Boggy Creek. We picked up a nice Jew (after 6 stingrays!!) but just wondering what how you get them around the mouth pre-dawn? Keep posting!!

Therapy...
    Hi Therapy, I always use a cast net for my bait, purely because it allows me to get a mixture of bait and reasonably quick. My usual haunt is boggy creek where you have been already, very rarely will I need to go elsewhere for bait either day or night. If I can't get any herring at boggy creek I'll shoot up to the poo chute and 9/10 times herring and gar will be there.
    A spotlight helps at night, shine it around until you see mullet or herring on the surface. Prawns are generally up in the shallows from 1m up to the bank I find.
    I am going to try and get out tonight or tomorrow night for a quick fish at the mouth.

Cheers Jackson. I thought the cast net was the go but I read in some of your reports you were over the wharf side so I thought maybe you jigged in the fall of the light there. All good info mate. See you out there one night.

Therapy...

Great catch mate, nice work