Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jacking Up a Boat Trailer

Re: Jacking Up a Boat Trailer

Quote Originally Posted by mercthunder View Post
    Hey Dmclean, where did you get your trolley jack from?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Ausfish mobile app
    You can get them from Auto one , auto pro, repco, Bursons, I got mine from a little auto pro shop after using a mechanic mates of mines to do my bearings

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

Another thing that can catch you out depending on you mudguard setup is you might not get the wheel out if jacking from the axle. I have to jack mine from the chassis of the trailer to allow the wheel to hang otherwise it wont come out.

Blog Entries

Once you got the jack side of it sorted make sure you have the right size socket / wheel brace to get the nuts off ...Pain in the arse when you are on the side of the road & find that your wheel brace does not fit the nuts on the boat trailer ...Been there & done that ....

I prefer an airbag/exhaust jack like those used for 4x4,s easy to carry,easy to use and most are 4 ton rated.placed under axle or frame and inflated just enough to give clearance to remove replace wheel.Are good on uneven surfaces if not inflated to full height and more stable than other types of jacks.

fully agree with stockhorse. They are great gear.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    I find your attitude a bit poor this time Fed. The Op has stated he is totally new to this game - he may not actually know the dangers involved with a trailer (or car for that matter) on a jack on the side of a highway - plenty don't. To rubbish others reply's for telling someone to take a few precautions and be as safe as possible is IMO simply poor form. Things like scissor jacks don't get there reputations from nowhere - it's quite easy for a newby not totally aware of the safest methods of operation to do themselves a mischief and on a trailer they are not locked onto a seam like they are in a car. "The worst thing that can happen is it will fall down & go bang" - nope - not even close to the worst that can happen if you have your hands in the wrong spot at the wrong time - why temp fate.
    Hi Scott,

You are right, i am a novice when it comes to these things. Not very good with my hands, but enjoy my time out on the water to decided to get a boat. The issue is, i am still unsure where the jack point should be as i'm not familiar with the terminology. Does anyone had a diagram which shows the jack points on a boat trailer? Is it the rear cross member area?

Also to save me from opening a new thread i will be picking up a spare tyre for my trailer this weekend. How do each of you mount your spare tyre to the boat trailer? Is there a correct position to mount, and how do you prevent it being stolen?

Thanks.

Jacking Up a Boat Trailer

The jack point is usually on the plate where the axle is bolted to the spring (behind the wheel) providing you jack fits under there when the tyre is flat.

As for spare, the cheap way is to carry it in the car.
    A better way is to use a spare wheel mount with a spare wheel hub and bearing set which bolts to the trailer.
    I'd suggest (given your lack of mechanical knowledge) that you get it done when you get the boat serviced.
    It's not hard but they can then check it doesn't make the weight over the draw bar too much (unlikely)
    The spare hub and bearing can be used in case a bearing goes one day when you're towing.
    Maybe not by you, but the RACQ guy

Just put a chain & padlock through the wheel and around trailer.
    You can't stop thieves.... but if it will take time, they'll grab the one parked next to you.

https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_i...138&item=91075
    Cheers,
    Owen

The whole world's mad save thee & me (but I'm not too sure about thee)

Thank you. I will look into the spare wheel mount. I am thinking of getting a bottle jack and jack stand to carry with me in the car. Is this a good combo to change a tyre? I like the smaller size of the bottle jack which makes it easy to carry all the time.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Ausfish mobile app