Thread: Some Moreton Bay Snapper Tips

Some Moreton Bay Snapper Tips

Some tips I have learnt about catching Snapper in Moreton Bay.
    I have been back into fishing for about 4 years now and it is something that always has a new thing to learn or technique to try.
    So I thought I would use the good session yesterday to share some tips with you on what I look for when fishing for Snaps in Moreton Bay:

1. Events

Going out yesterday arvo was no on the whim thing - though it did fit in with allot of other plans. There were three main factors I looked a yesterday beside the weather:
    First - Tides: do any tides coincide with either sunrise or sunset and are they big or small tides? (I like some run though tide time is more important).
    Second - Sunset or sunrise times. I reckon you can catch Snapper any time of day but it's better early or late in the date
    Third - Solunar Peaks. Some say this is BS but the more I study it the more I believe it is true. Each to his own but seems to have some sort of influence.

So yesterday we had a high tide at around 5.45pm, sunset at 5.05 and a minor bite time (tides4fishing website) at around 6.08 to 8.08pm due to the opposing lunar transit.
    Funnily enough, this is when we caught most of our fish.

2. Location

I think the shallow and reefy areas around Moreton are prime Snapper territory - which is quite a generalisation but what I look for is areas that hold bait and where fish would hunt in conjunction with events.
    As an example take the shallow reefs around Green or Peel I would say that on a rising tide hungry fish will be going up onto the shallows to hunt whereas on a falling tide the fish will be hanging around the drop off waiting for food to get washed off the reef.
    Taking that into account I would change my strategy with the tides. And this is also true of no so shallow reefs and ledges around the bay. Spoil ground being a classic example of where this approach may work.

3. Bait

I will some this up as follows:
    1. Fish Live (live bait)
    2. Fish Fresh (Fresh dead bait or fillets)
    3. Fish frozen

I always put in the first hour trying to get live bait. I think this works the best in the bay and nearly every Snapper I have caught over 60cms I have caught on livies.
    Oen tip is if you are fishing live bait vary the size of your baits. A big Herring may not be as appealing as a small Yakka as an example - the biggest snapper last night was on a small Yakka not even 15cms long.
    If buying frozen get the best you can. Boxed Pillies seem to be better quality and go to the fishos for your Squid. The frozen stuff now is shocking compared to what it used to be. It also pays to get a mixed of large and small Pillies. Small ones seem to be quite liked by Snapper.

4. Tackle.

My number 1 rule here is fish as light as you can. I have caught more big Snapper on a lightly weighted bait that on the bottom. I will typically go no heavier than a No.2 sinker and find Klik sinkers very handy as you can change them as conditions vary,

The most luck I have had is fishing on a very light outfit (Stradic 2500 series reel, Pfluger Trion light action rod and 10lb braid with 20lb leader). This outfit has pulled in some big fish though it takes time and it is my go to outfit.
    For livies I use a bait runner with a heavier Pfluger Trion and 20lb braid and a 40lb leader. The Same principle applies here to weight though I do tend to stagger them more.
    Allot of the time I will use split shot for weight varying it to match the current and depth I am fishing and hook wish I use a 2/0 octopus circle on the light rod and a 4/0 big bait circle on the live bait rod. In summer I may change to a double gang (1/0 or 2/0 Tru Turn) if there are Mackeral around.
    So that is my run down - feel free to add to this in comments below and I hope someone finds it useful. It has taken be a few years but finally I think I have sussed it out and happy to share some of my thoughts.

Re: Some Moreton Bay Snapper Tips

^ great post there mate...

Just when I was about to give up on Ausfish you put up this cracking post.
    Well done mate

As above, great post. Thank you for that.
    How do you rig your livies? Through shoulder? Nose? A bridle?

I've found yellowtail will always go before a herring. I really haven't had alot of success with herring. They usually die too quickly.

Great post and it is good to see someone generous with their hard earned knowledge. But I have a curve ball for you that underlines how when you think you have it worked out something will happen. My PB snapper was caught around midday in 3 meters of water 400 meters off Redcliffe on a 7 inch Gulp. It did not read the Almanac!

Therapy...

This is what i hoped Ausfish would be like all the time when i joined a few years ago. Up until now seems more whinging and bagging people rather than like minded fishos sharing secrets/fishing reports.

My opinion is that to become a great fisherman who can catch their target fish most of the time takes more than 1 lifetime worth of knowledge. Especially in SE Qld. I guess is why some pro's are very secretive and protective as the lessions/knowledge they have is often passed down over generations.

Thanks heaps for the article. I too have spent around 5 years chasing snapper at Mud island and have come to pretty much the exact same conclusions as you. The only thing i could add is keep away from boats!!! Big snapper in the bay are very cagey and if more than a boat or two is at any spot i try to fish i will move on. You don't become a big bay snapper by being silly or brave.

Cheers

Ausfish Silver Member jackson4300's Avatar

Awesome write up.

Quote Originally Posted by therapy View Post
    Great post and it is good to see someone generous with their hard earned knowledge. But I have a curve ball for you that underlines how when you think you have it worked out something will happen. My PB snapper was caught around midday in 3 meters of water 400 meters off Redcliffe on a 7 inch Gulp. It did not read the Almanac!

Therapy...
    Fair enough curveball and I have had the same happen as well. Red hot snapper session mid afternoon crap tides and winds and old bait. You can never tell if you are not out there but generally find if I follow my own advise I do ok. Saying that now I will donut for a month!

Ausfish Platinum Member bigjimg's Avatar

Blairv70 don't knock donuts they are great eating...... jokes aside, a great informative write up.. Jim
    Haines Signature "FinaLeigh" 580F 135 Optimax
    CH 81 & 72 VHF

Quote Originally Posted by Nabba1 View Post
    This is what i hoped Ausfish would be like all the time when i joined a few years ago. Up until now seems more whinging and bagging people rather than like minded fishos sharing secrets/fishing reports.

My opinion is that to become a great fisherman who can catch their target fish most of the time takes more than 1 lifetime worth of knowledge. Especially in SE Qld. I guess is why some pro's are very secretive and protective as the lessions/knowledge they have is often passed down over generations.

Thanks heaps for the article. I too have spent around 5 years chasing snapper at Mud island and have come to pretty much the exact same conclusions as you. The only thing i could add is keep away from boats!!! Big snapper in the bay are very cagey and if more than a boat or two is at any spot i try to fish i will move on. You don't become a big bay snapper by being silly or brave.

Cheers
    Yes a good post by blairv70.

There are many many similar posts on Ausfish dating back 20 years and can be accessed via the " advanced search " icon.

But, to have up to date reports, reviews and info come forward is certainly great to see.

My simple Snapper info is " go fishing on Wednesdays ".............

Thank you blairv70 and tight lines

cheers LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here