Thread: Bay Saturday Arvo

Bay Saturday Arvo

Headed out for a quick session yesterday afternoon to see if the water temp was down enough to fire up the snapper. Started off chasing some live bait which took a while to get but filled the tank with Herrings and small Yakkas about an hour before sunset.

Set the rods with livies and baits out and soon picked up a couple of small squire followed by some 38cm models so that was a good start. i was beginning to worry as there were a few sharks around but we just hooked the odd Reef Shark until a massive Wobbegong took a liking to a whole diver Whiting which gave my mate a great tussle and some good screaming runs.

As the sun got lower the activity fired up and a nice 50cm Snapper came from a livey closely followed by the biggest of the day just over 60cm. We picked up another couple of small guys and another 38 and then a massive run on a live Herring that nearly spooled my mate and left his reel literally smoking! We are guessing a big shark or a small whale by the way it went off.

Finished the night with a 55cm Snapper of a floating squid bait and then things went a little quiet so it was time to pack up and head home. A good night and a great feed for a few hours out.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17Snap.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	84.5 KB 
ID:	115709
    Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17SS.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	66.0 KB 
ID:	115710  

Re: Bay Saturday Arvo

Nice catch mate

Was that at Mud Island?, reports of snapper at Mud are like rocking horse poop the last 5 years..

Quote Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
    Was that at Mud Island?, reports of snapper at Mud are like rocking horse poop the last 5 years..
    Nope not Mud Island further south and east in the bay though not Harries either