Thread: buoyancy.....question

buoyancy.....question

I replaced a stern drive with a merc 150hp (206kg ish) on an aluminium part pod a couple of years ago on my Haines565L. The unloaded boat sits in the water fairly level with water just above the chine at rest.But when a couple of ugly old bruisers fish off the stern there is an uncomfortable loss of freeboard.

I have been looking at replacing the pod with a full width hull extension or a smaller volume hull extension,which is considerably less work.Just trying to make sure that I can get the result...

Is it the case that if I displace say 200litres of seawater...(ignoring water density and any extra mass) in the extension I generate 200kg of extra buoyancy...?

Re: buoyancy.....question

Yes, with the assumptions you stated.
    Cheers

Not doubting that your concern over stern sinking with bodies at the back, but I would have thought the outboard would weigh way less than the stern drive/leg original fitment. May I suggest rather than modifying the stern with unknown results - "light 'n easy"

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums

Get rid of the old bruisers and replace with young fillies, should do the trick. I had a similar issue when upgrading from and old 2 stroke to a 4 stroke, 35 kg extra weight at the very rear of the boat makes quite a difference and I suspect that replacing the inboard with and outboard has shifted the mass considerably to the rear of the boat causing a similar issue. I know of people who have gone for the full hull extension and love it but as my local boat builder/repairer says every boat is individual and what suits one boat doesn't suit another.

Hi There. Just went thru the same dilemmas a couple of years ago. Had a pod made for my Haines 565L to fit my 25" leg Merc 150. Had the two holes either side of the well filled in, fitted a 4mm plate across the well to stop water getting in side. Works well. Inside the bay and the Pin little water gets in but offshore I just turn the bilge pump on auto. Works a treat. Oh yeah, I've since bought a 17" pitch Inertia prop and it has transformed the boat. I now have a lot more confidence crossing the SPB which I do quite regularly.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Another more recent photo
    Attached Images Attached Images

thanks for the comments ..

Dignity.....yes I did make that suggestion a while back ...."tell him he's dreaming"

Duckfish.. very similar except my pod doesnt go the full depth and its open topped.long story....boatbuilder sick.I have the same motor....and part of this is to try and figure out how much buoyancy I need to add.It looks like your pod went out to the strakes.Nice boat..and as you know with that motor pushing..it moves nicely..