Thread: Recommendations for new fish finder

Recommendations for new fish finder

Hi all looking for recommendations for new fish finder up to around $2k.
    Only need the sounder features as have an Lowrance Elite 7 Chirp that I can use for the waypoints etc.
    Also suggestions for the Transducer.
    Depth up to around 130 metres
    Cheers

Re: Recommendations for new fish finder

Furuno fcv 628 $1300 or if you can stretch the budget fcv 588 $2300 would be my pick

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

Hi pnp ,
    there are plenty of units will perform well at depths up to and including 130m. they do have ranges in which they perform better at.
    However as a straight sonar with good future potential. i would be looking at a Simrad S2009 with a B75M CHIRP transducer.

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

I'd be going the furuno 588 if you can stretch great sounder

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    560c Bar Crusher "Overtime"

Thanks, what roughly be the cost for both

Have a Look at a Garmin 952xs and the new GT15TM should be able to get that combo for around 2K
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Having run a pretty fair range, including lowrance, hummingbird and raymarine over the last few year I recently put a furuno 588 in my reef boat. hands down a no contest. Only did it after fishing with a mate running one and could not believe my eyes. Not cheap, but catching fish isn't supposed to be =)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bells and whistles with an emphasis on shallower depths and flat water - something with side scan - Garmin, Humminbird, Raymarine, Navico.

A sounder that has pretty much everything you will need to adjust over the course of a days fishing written in plain English on the front panel - easy to use and just works - Furuno .Either the FCV-628 (5.7 inch display, 600w) or the FCV-588 (8.4 inch display, 600w / 1Kw) dependent on your preference for screen size

For the depths you are talking, a 600 watt transducer on the Furuno will be fine (have used mine to 160 metres - and they will go deeper) and will be the easiest to find a variant of to get a good install. Will the 1 kilowatt transducer work better for the 588 in deep water - Yes, but it puts a big hole in your budget and blows the package price out.

Go the 588. Furuno have there processing software down pat.
    I was running lowrance hds G3 with p66 and having nothing but trouble holding bottom. And don't talk about the clutter.
    588 with p66 mounted in same position = awesome. 30 knots and still holds bottom and the clarity is unbelievable.

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-WTjfcuOYu...0/IMG_0507.PNG

Is "Rezboost" as good as CHIRP?

I believe most will provide better sonar/fish finding returns to what you had been using previously.

keep in mind that budget. it will either blow way out, or settle for a decent house brand.

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au