Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Manual Trim Mercury 30hp

Re: Manual Trim Mercury 30hp

Hello Gazza,
    I had an older de Haviland 12 footer and it had hook in the bottom and at higher speeds it would dig the bow in.
    Have a look underneath and see if the planning surfaces are hollow(hooked), straight or rounded.
    If there is a hook, this may be as good as it gets.
    That fuel tank is far to big, you would never use 70 litres with that motor, get rid of it or only put what you need into the tank.
    Have you tried weight shift?
    Have the crew up front to get onto the plane then they move down the back once you get her up and running. (they are only movable ballast anyway!).
    This behaviour is always a problem when you don't have power trim.
    Trim for getting onto plane is never correct for higher speeds, that is why modern fast boats have power trim.
    Buying an accessory power trim for a boat of this value is over-capitalisation.
    If you must, spend the money on a different motor with power trim.
    Or, come to terms with it and be satisfied with a slower, planning cruising speed.

Re: Manual Trim Mercury 30hp

Went out yesterday just two of us and she handled beautiful top speed was around 38-45kph i would estimate she handled turning extremely well, full power on two occasions she actually reached top speed but all other runs she felt she was only reaching 90% top speed i was told the fuel was 3 months old but there was around 60 litres i wasn't wasting thats about $80 of fuel i think if i put some nice fresh premium unleaded in her she'll wake up but for now she is running like a dream

all it was is i had too much weight on board, the boat, fuel, batteries, 4 people, would have been up around 750kg

with 2 people the hull was better balanced and 200kg lighter made the world of difference