Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Repowering my tinny - f40 yammy vs bf40a Honda

Repowering my tinny - f40 yammy vs bf40a Honda

Hey guys, first time poster here!

As the title states I'm looking at repowering my tinny, it's a 390 tiller steer makocraft estuary tracker open and I've currently got a bf40 carby model on it at the moment. My current engine goes like a rat up a drain pipe and top speed is 60km/h so I'm looking at staying in around the same cc range, Honda has 808cc block and yammy is 747cc both coming in at under 7k and 98kgs. I looked at the Suzuki but for the extra 2 grand I don't know if it's worth the extra coin plus it's a much bigger engine at 950cc and it's abit heavier aswell but it is still in the race and might go with it depending on people's opinions as I absolutely love the suzuki's tiller arm.

Holeshot is probably the most important part to me not so much top end and I'm concerned with the yammys performance down low. If anyone can share their experiences with any of these 3 engines it would be greatly appreciated, what we're the pros, cons and what was your top end with your setup and how was the hole shot.

Cheers, Sean.

Re: Repowering my tinny - f40 yammy vs bf40a Honda

Quote Originally Posted by Sean32 View Post
    Hey guys, first time poster here!

As the title states I'm looking at repowering my tinny, it's a 390 tiller steer makocraft estuary tracker open and I've currently got a bf40 carby model on it at the moment. My current engine goes like a rat up a drain pipe and top speed is 60km/h so I'm looking at staying in around the same cc range, Honda has 808cc block and yammy is 747cc both coming in at under 7k and 98kgs. I looked at the Suzuki but for the extra 2 grand I don't know if it's worth the extra coin plus it's a much bigger engine at 950cc and it's abit heavier aswell but it is still in the race and might go with it depending on people's opinions as I absolutely love the suzuki's tiller arm.

Holeshot is probably the most important part to me not so much top end and I'm concerned with the yammys performance down low. If anyone can share their experiences with any of these 3 engines it would be greatly appreciated, what we're the pros, cons and what was your top end with your setup and how was the hole shot.

Cheers, Sean.
    Morning Mate
    I have a 40 4stroke yammy on my 4.2 plate. Done about 1150 hours trouble free hours.Speed at WOT is about 28 knots.
    Hole shot is very respectable.
    Shawn

Hi Sean

Or you could really open this comparison up and look at https://www.tradingpost.com.au/Boats...D2542102497594

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

Gday mate,
    I had a 40hp suzuki on my 4.2 stessco bass tracker ( v nose ) and it was brilliant. Top speed was 53 klph, and the hole shot was absolutely brilliant.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app
    Cheers, Doug.
    Love to use Preditek or Kingfisher lures or Viva Lures when I am out fishing.

Get the Honda, easy decision, I went for a Yamaha and had the choice of a Honda also, a good mate got the exact same outfit but went Honda, and he leaves me for dead when it comes to getting on the plane and carrying extra load, top speed is pretty close to the same, Honda also had a 7 year warranty at the time, and I think they still do!

Shawn66, thanks for getting back to me, how is your boat when you load it up full of people and gear, I've had yammies in the past and they've been unreal but the only thing I was concerned about was holeshot with a full boat.

Chimo, thanks mate but for the size of my boat and the power to wright ratio it has, the 4 strokes win hands down for me that's why I've not considered the etecs, mainly cause on your own it's actually scary haha!

Goodoo, yeah all I've heard about the suzukis is good things! timing chain, reduction gears, awesome tiller arm, biggest cc of the 40's just gotta justify the price

Noelm, thanks heaps mate that helps out a lot, my current motor has insane amounts of torque and it barely struggles with holeshot when loaded up, loses some top end but not a great deal. My main concern with the Yamaha was exactly that, being the smallest cc of the 40's was holeshot

Have a look here - they do a few comparisons in this range: https://www.youtube.com/user/caloundramarine/videos

I understand you concern and fear. Maybe really go outside the box and fit a 30 HP http://www.fishingworld.com.au/news/...e-tec-re-power
    What could go wrong.......................

Gonna stick with the 4strokes thanks guys, if anyone else has any input it would be greatly appreciated

Don't know what your chasing?

You have a fear about the Yamaha 40hp being the smallest. Yes it is and is known to be sluggish.

The Suzuki is the biggest and thus far has a good hole shot.

The honda is another that has been regarded well for its bracket.

So if it was me would just choose either Suzuki or Honda.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    560c Bar Crusher "Overtime"

Yeah I was originally thinking repowering with the Honda, just wanted to know what others opinions were with the Suzuki and if it was worth the extra coin and if the Yamaha would keep up with the others in term of performance especially hole shot with a loaded boat because I do tow a tube from time to time hence the need for hole shot

No the Yamaha will not, the Suzuki runs up to 60hp we're as the Yamaha is maxed out at 40hp.

Suzuki would be worth the extra coin or go the Honda as stated 7 year warranty.

Is the Honda trim and tilt button still on the tiller arm back near the gear lever or have they re designed it and moved it up on the throttle using your thumb?

Ausfish Silver Member

definately agree with a few of the boys here, honda or suzuki, as noelm says honda has 7 year waranty but the suzukis go on a lot about harder acceleration, its true for me atm im looking at a 15hp suzuki vs yammie etc and in this hp range suzuki focus on a lot of there marketing on better acceleration, youd have to see if thats clear in the engine your looking at but i think if holeshot and fast acceleration is what u want then the suzuki should be built for that, saying that the honda is no doubt a great motor and the 7 year waranty.. other then that it will come down to as we all say what specs suit you and your boat best, dealer availability for service etc.. good luck bro let us know what you get,,, oo and btw im getting the dt15 suzuki for the same porpose i want bottom and mid range torque for weight more then top end.. thats was what i found out researching, see what u can read up on..
    ill be somewhere up the creek, happy trails..

On the 60 Honda I had it was back at the thumb, which was a 2017 model. But I actually prefer it at the front of the tiller arm like most models.