Thread: Depth Sounder / GPS Combo - Where to Mount Transducer?

Depth Sounder / GPS Combo - Where to Mount Transducer?

Hi all,

I am a complete boat newbie. I purchased my first boat a few weeks ago, and i am still learning the ins and outs of it. The boat is a Tahoe Q4 Sport Bowrider and i have a few questions. I recently purchased a Garmin CHIRP Echomap 75SV mainly for the depth notification, Sonar and GPS mapping capabilities. Knowing the depth of water would be great, as i recently struck a tree in the water that was lodged beneath the surface (i understand the sonar can only see beneath the boat and not ahead, but knowing the water depth could have helped here).

I recently took the unit to an installer to get it installed and i was told given this is a sports boat, the transom mount included could not be used, so i would need to purchase a transducer that goes through the hull. The following reasons were given:

1) The transom is curved, so mounting the transducer there will not be stable
    2) It will be very close to the prop given the boats design, and will cause interference with the signal
    3) It's a sports boat, so these boats aren't really designed to have fish finders installed in them.

The transducer for this unit that goes through the hull costs something like $2.5K, way out of budget. I plan to return the unit on the weekend for a full refund, but before i do, i wanted to get your advice on what i should do here, and if there is a unit that will provide what i need, and could be installed in my boat? I have included a picture of the transom below, and would appreciate any advice on whether i should change this for another unit which might have a suitable transducer?

Boat1.jpg

Re: Depth Sounder / GPS Combo - Where to Mount Transducer?

Can't see any problem for a transom mount unless she skips along the top of the water even a cruising speed.

It would need to go on the flat section that the stern drive leg comes through across to one side - how far would depend on just how tall the bracket is, where the strakes are on the hull and trying to avoid interference with your tie downs / trailer bunks. If your installer was talking about issues with mounting on the curved "pods" on either side - he is right - it won't work but not for any of the reasons he gave. At speed that area of the hull will either be out of the water or have so much turbulence a sounder would have no chance of working.

Google images shows a number of transom mounted trasducers on your boat. And a couple show transom transducer mounted in hull as a shoot through and will work fine if you dont need water temp.
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

Quote Originally Posted by Triple View Post
    And a couple show transom transducer mounted in hull as a shoot through and will work fine if you dont need water temp.
    There are issues with doing this with chirp transducers - they need contact with water to keep them cool.

Manufacturers suggest not to mount it in the engine bay due to excessive heat. Plenty of people with outboards and kayakers have the chirp trannies mounted in hull away from any extreme heat source without issue but if it is a concern then wet mount it in a box for heat dissipation.
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

Thanks for the information everyone. Yes he did mention the turbulence issue as well. Does anyone know of any good installers in Sydney (preferably Western Sydney?).

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Triple View Post
    Manufacturers suggest not to mount it in the engine bay due to excessive heat. Plenty of people with outboards and kayakers have the chirp trannies mounted in hull away from any extreme heat source without issue but if it is a concern then wet mount it in a box for heat dissipation.
    Possibly they have but even the wet face ones that have water contact still say not to mount in a hot location. Garmins 300w chirp transducers did have a failure issue that was put down to heat in the early days - running them dry was an issue.

From Airmar's presentation:

Heat Management System
    •To install a CHIRP transducer in a way other than intended by the manufacturer could lead to the transducer overheating – resulting in transducer failure.
    •Due to the nature of CHIRP technology, CHIRP transducers generate more heat than traditional tone burst transducers operating at discreet frequencies like 50 and 200 kHz.
    •CHIRP transducers require heat sinks in the construction to dissipate heat/usually located above the high frequency ceramic.
    • Airmar’s CHIRP transducers have been designed to be installed in specific ways according to the number and placement of the heat sinks

As such if you put a transom mount inside the hull, it may well work but if it stops there is no such animal as warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by mercthunder View Post
    Thanks for the information everyone. Yes he did mention the turbulence issue as well. Does anyone know of any good installers in Sydney (preferably Western Sydney?).

Thanks.
    Assuming the company you bought it through don't have an installation service, ringing Garmin or the local Garmin sales rep might be the shot if no one here has a recommendation.

Thanks everyone. Does anyone know of a unit that comes with a thru-hull transducer and is between $1000-$1500?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Ausfish mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by mercthunder View Post

Thanks.
    Speak with Spiro at Blue Bottle Fishing in Dural they can also do installs now. Mat.

check out www.hawkeyeelectronics.com they have a great video on transome mounting

Put in an airmar p79 if the hull is solid glass. Cost about $250.