Thread: How long can you leave a tinny in the water for?

How long can you leave a tinny in the water for?

How long will a tinny sit in salt water till damage starts to occur? Can you anti foul a tinny? On odd occasions I have left mine in water for 4-5 days, no problems, but how about a month?

Re: How long can you leave a tinny in the water for?

Week or more you will start to get growth on it. Less of an issue if it close to a storm water drain outlet. A guy I know with a 36 ft Fairway can go 18 month to 2 yrs without needing a clean and antifoul if there are plenty of fresh water flows down the drain near where he ties up the boat. More frequent care needed if it doesn't rain much.
    Yes you can .
    What could go wrong.......................

Aluminium work boats live in the water so not so much a question of the material as how it's prepped to deal with being in that situation and what else is around it that may induce electrolysis or galvanic corrosion. Yes, it can be antifouled - need to make sure that whatever you use is suitable. I would also look into fitting a sacrificial anode/s

2 weeks any more you will need to remove barnacles by mechanical means... additional anodes required after 2 weeks also
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

I have been told to spray the hull with lanolin, ever seen a barnacle on a sheep.

Quote Originally Posted by banksmister View Post
    I have been told to spray the hull with lanolin, ever seen a barnacle on a sheep.
    We have tried lanolin antifoul. We found it accelerated growth, but it was easier to clean off.
    Growth depends on location. Down at Manly, growth is exceptionally fast. We had growth after 1 week in the water.

Quote Originally Posted by banksmister View Post
    Only in New Zealand