Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1

    Angry Crabbing Criminal

    $18,000 fine for Logan River crabbing offences

    Fisheries Queensland·Monday, May 8, 2017

    A Mt Warren Park man has been fined $18,000 in the Beenleigh Magistrates Court for multiple fisheries offences on the Logan River.

    Queensland Boating and Fisheries Patrol district manager Rob McDonald said the fisher faced 17 charges following a three-month investigation into illegal crabbing and the subsequent sale of crabs.

    “The charges included taking and possessing female and undersize male mud crabs, selling crabs without a licence, using excess and unmarked crab pots, possessing crab meat and a commercial fishing net,” Mr McDonald said.

    “QBFP officers observed the fisher working crab pots on the Logan River at Alberton a number of times and found bags containing large numbers of undersize and female mud crabs hidden in mangroves.

    “Fisheries officers intercepted the man in the act of picking up crabs concealed in green hessian bags hidden in the river bank.

    “A search warrant executed at the fisher’s house located more female and undersize mud crabs, more than five kilograms of crab meat and a commercial size fishing net.

    “The defendant told Fisheries officers he was aware it was illegal to keep undersize and female mud crabs in Queensland, stating he had sold crabs up to eight times in the past month for around $10 per crab.

    “QBFP seized 28 live male mud crabs and 13 live female mud crabs found at his residence and they were all released alive back into nearby waters.”

    The fisher was fined $18,000 after pleading guilty to all charges in the Beenleigh Magistrates Court.

    Queensland Boating and Fisheries Patrol relies on the ongoing support of the community to help protect Queensland’s valuable fishing resources.

    If people suspect illegal fishing, they should report it to the Fishwatch hotline on 1800 017 116. Don’t engage the person, as this can compromise an investigation.

    For more information on Queensland fishing rules and regulations, visit, call 13 25 23 or download the free ‘Qld Fishing’ app from Apple and Google app stores.

    Follow Fisheries Queensland on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram (@FisheriesQld).
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

    For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

  2. #2

    Re: Crabbing Criminal

    Good but should take away anything that gets them down on and into the water as well.

    If we have high minimum fines for selling and taking large quantity's of crabs destined for the black market people would think twice.

    Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    560c Bar Crusher "Overtime"

  3. #3

    Re: Crabbing Criminal

    Poor bloke was just doing research in to the spread of white spot disease in the mudcrab population and its affect on the sale price of crabs........

  4. #4
    Ausfish Platinum Member Funchy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Blog Entries

    Re: Crabbing Criminal

    what a maroon!

    Click "like this post" if ya reckon my dog is cute!!!!

    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

  5. #5

    Re: Crabbing Criminal

    Great to see we want rules on the water,and bag limits and size taken and more than ever crooks weeded out great work fisheries.

  6. #6

    Re: Crabbing Criminal

    Why don't they name these scum bags?
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

  7. #7

    Re: Crabbing Criminal

    Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    Why don't they name these scum bags?
    I have spoken to Fisheries many times about this and the answer is " it is not our policy ".

    We all can easily look up the court cases and then name these ferrets as their right to anonymity is forgone once they become criminals.

    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

    For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Join us