Thread: Anchor winch

Anchor winch

I was just wondering types of anchor winches are used. For some of us who are not getting any younger and looking for someway easier using a winch.

cheers

Re: Anchor winch

If you've got an electric bow-mount motor on the new boat (with GPS), save the money on the anchor stuff and just use the anchor-lock feature. You'll never go back to old-fashioned anchoring ever again, except when anchoring in the shallows for a picnic on a beach or whatever. Mat.

Actually, a bow-mount motor is probably cheaper than an anchor winch...

I had a minkota on previous boat. Used bottom lock all the time. Just a big expense after buying new boat and sounder

Ausfish New Member

Stressfree on my Seafarer and mate us one on his 25ft Searay. He had a capstan style on his other boat but couple of times it got jammed or misaligned a link. Others use Micks Winch successfully. I'd never go out without one again and the deckie loves me for it highly recommend, pricey outlay and you need the room. Cheers Tony

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For a bay bait fisherman they would be the first thing I would put on a boat. Even over a I Pilot. Makes it easy to try spots that you would not usually bother chucking the anchor on. Drum winches only way to go. We use lonestar GX series.

how good are the electric bow-mount motors when you have a strong tide?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy56 View Post
    how good are the electric bow-mount motors when you have a strong tide?
    We were using two 12oz snapper leads to get to the bottom in 50m and the line was at almost 45 degrees in the current & about 8-10 knots of wind and the 80lb i pilot held a 5.8m Southwind longboat with amazing ease (first time using the Minn Kota). We have a Stressfree anchor winch fitted also and I will probably end up taking that off after a couple of more runs with the MK.

TMC

The motors are great but in some situations not a substitute for an anchor. Without knowing how the OP uses his boat recommending one over a winch may well be leading him up the garden path or worse still drifting off down the river half way through the night once his batteries go flat. Different strokes for different folks.

As for the winch - drum style without a doubt. I have a capstan style and whilst I am not about to pull the thing out and replace it for the hell of it, it certainly won't be replaced with another capstan style winch. I don't like the fact you can't use a thimble on the capstan style for chafe protection and they can struggle with jamming in a slack rope situation or the transition from rope to chain - primarily due to the lack of fall on a trailerboat not providing enough weight of rope to pull it through the deck. Most of the mainstream brands have their bands of dedicated followers - I haven't heard of any in particular that have had issues that weren't resolved. The biggest issue you may have (assuming it's going in the new tinnie) is making sure that where is structure of sufficient caliber to support the weight involved when choppy and the loads of anchor retrieval if the pick gets stuck - probably a fair bit of fabrication work involved.

"Without knowing how the OP uses his boat recommending one over a winch may well be leading him up the garden path or worse still drifting off down the river half way through the night once his batteries go flat".

That would certainly be different having no anchor at all. Not sure if people have suggested that but may have missed that insinuation.

TMC
    Last edited by The Mad Cat; 07-05-2017 at 07:49 PM. Reason: punctuation

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Cat View Post
    "Without knowing how the OP uses his boat recommending one over a winch may well be leading him up the garden path or worse still drifting off down the river half way through the night once his batteries go flat".

That would certainly be different having no anchor at all. Not sure if people have suggested that but may have missed that insinuation.

TMC
    Would NEVER suggest going with NO anchor at all. Illegal to do so here in NSW anyway. An electric would suffice in almost all situations IMHO and experience. On my Cruise Craft 530, I had both a winch and an electric (80lb MG) and never anchored again after installing the electric. Mat.

No, you can't leave the anchor at home - that's the point. At some stage you will have to use an anchor if you fish in the one spot for long enough or simply anchor up overnight. For someone who struggles with the effort involved in then retrieving said anchor an electric motor is then not a lot of use - and it cost about twice what the winch did. Not everyone spends all day/night moving about regularly or fishes with lures - if they do - yes, the motor has benefit. If not I see the winch as more benefit - hence the comment about how the OP uses his boat.

When i picked up my new 460 renegade this week, the anchor they gave me was a lb sand anchor with chain so small.
    That would had been flat out holding my jet ski.
    They said that size was part of the package. Either boat yard or Telwater?

pretty crazy i .think.

I have asked for an upgrade to a 10 lb

That will be the boat yard, I need a new stern anchor for day trips, $15? A store that has "Security checks in aisle 3" has anchors on special this week...