Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anchoring Easy

Anchoring Easy

Just wondering what if any are the methods people use to anchor their boats. What I mean by this is if it is difficult to access the bow area or difficult to pull the anchor up from cabin hatches etc what other methods are used. Deep water offshore I am happy using a float ball but what about shallower situations.

Mark

Re: Anchoring Easy

I used to still use the float system for inshore, the only exceptions is in very shallow water. Once while pumping yabbies at midnight at the bedrooms off south straddie I had to swim to catch my boat as passing traffic created waves that eventually pushed the float over the chain and lifted the anchor. The tide was also rising which didn't help. I was totally stuffed.

Having a half cab makes it bloody awkward to get the anchor in out so I have a milk crate that is kept in front of the passenger seat. It has a divider in it with a reef anchor one side and a danforth on the other. Anchor sits on top of rope, drop the anchor and tie it off to the rail on the side. I also have a warp rope with a cleat that I use at times. I'll attach a pic.

Haines ring cleats..jpgCleat and warp.jpg

Two methods I have used - the ultimate being an anchor winch but if the dollars aren't feasible, then a bow line set up like Gon Fishun has posted and running the anchor from the cockpit is pretty easy provided you have two on board - one to drive and keep the weight of the boat off the anchor line while the other retrieves the pick. Attempting to do it on your own in a current you can run into the issue of not getting the anchor off the bottom before the weight of the boat takes up - pulling a boat sideways through a decent sort of run can be a bit of a mission. The clip makes it very easy but it can be done with a simple variation of the bowline knot (can always be undone). We use this on my Dad's rig for this exact reason.

I have seen boats with a rope running from the helm area around to the anchor rope I am guessing the anchor is just tied off and the rope with I guess a slip ring allows pulling it in from the side behind the driver.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by copie View Post
    I have seen boats with a rope running from the helm area around to the anchor rope I am guessing the anchor is just tied off and the rope with I guess a slip ring allows pulling it in from the side behind the driver.

Mark
    While you could do it that way - it will rub the gelcoat and then there's the chain. Far better with a fixed line attached to the front and some means of attachment to the anchor line be it a clip or a knot.

I have a cuddy cab as well and just have a brass spring clip on the end of the painter.Keep the anchor and chain and rope in a box behind the drivers seat.When enough rope is out for the anchoring tie a figure of eight in the anchor line and clip to the painter which then takes the line back to the bow.When its time to up anchor on my own ...simply start the motor and slowly motor up while pulling the line in...it takes a little practice to keep the line coming in where you want it and not motor over it ....but nothing hard unless youre in a real current...also with the anchor line attached to the bow and the unused rope back behind the cabin ..its easy to bridle the boat..just make sure to tie off the anchor rope from the cabin end or it can slowly feed out as the boat moves about.sounds pretty similar to Scottars set up.

Sadly my usual deckie mate doesnt see it this way and he keeps sending me webpages about winches.....

Ausfish Platinum Member

I had to confront this when I went to a cuddy cabin from a CC. I've always used the anchor ball. I leave a length of good rope on the bow bollard, running back around the side of the cab and secured with a jam cleat. Make it just long enough to NOT reach the prop and it doesn't matter if you drop it. I had an eye spliced in the end of mine. let out the required amount of anchor rope, pull a loop through the eye, and half hitch, after clipping the anchor retrieval clip and float on.

This even worked OK when fishing alone, only issue I had was having to make small adjustment in length of anchor line to hang exactly where I wanted to . his would mean having to drive up the rope, grab the knot, make your adjustments. Could be difficult in a strong breeze, so I now have an anchor winch. Problem solved, for a lot of dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by inveratta View Post
    I have a cuddy cab as well and just have a brass spring clip on the end of the painter.Keep the anchor and chain and rope in a box behind the drivers seat.When enough rope is out for the anchoring tie a figure of eight in the anchor line and clip to the painter which then takes the line back to the bow.When its time to up anchor on my own ...simply start the motor and slowly motor up while pulling the line in...it takes a little practice to keep the line coming in where you want it and not motor over it ....but nothing hard unless youre in a real current...also with the anchor line attached to the bow and the unused rope back behind the cabin ..its easy to bridle the boat..just make sure to tie off the anchor rope from the cabin end or it can slowly feed out as the boat moves about.sounds pretty similar to Scottars set up.

Sadly my usual deckie mate doesnt see it this way and he keeps sending me webpages about winches.....
    What is a painter

a length of rope attached to the bow of the boat, generally for tying up at a dock or for towing.

The absolute ultimate deep water anchor system??? Picture attached. Never use anything else these days and catch rates on deep water shoals has gone up 300%
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by kc View Post
    The absolute ultimate deep water anchor system??? Picture attached. Never use anything else these days and catch rates on deep water shoals has gone up 300%
    Hey mate do you reckon these would reach the water for a 6.2m Kevlacat? I fish most of the time on my own and am always looking for easier ways of doing things

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

Electric motors are fine for fishing over reasonably short periods, but if fishing for hours (or over night) an anchor is by far the best option, pulling over the side is simple, in the past I had a decent rope on the bow, and a rubber ring spliced on the other end, the ring was just long enough to be stretched over a side cleat when not in use, just deploy the anchor, let out desired amount of rope, tie off to rubber ring (shock absorber) and let it go. On retrieval, just use an anchor ball and pull it in from the side, very simple to do.

Anchors are good but using them in 150m to 200m gets old real quick

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁