Thread: Bar Crusher Live Bait Well

Bar Crusher Live Bait Well

Hi Guys,
    I have recently purchased a second hand bar crusher and have noticed that the live bait well seems to fill with water of it's on accord while I'm underway (i.e. Without the pump being turned on).
    Is this normal or have I blown a fufal value somewhere?
    Cheers
    FarQue

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish mobile app

Re: Bar Crusher Live Bait Well

Yes normal water shoots up the pick up.

Just screw in the outlet inside the tank when not in use.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    560c Bar Crusher "Overtime"

Arrrrrm dont think so... mine doesnt filk up unless turned on

Sent from my SM-G920I using Ausfish mobile app

Isn't that the point of the scoop! To fill tanks while on the move, correct me if I'm wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

basically it will or wont depending on whether you have s coop set-up on the intake. If the scoop is patent it is designed to pick up water while you're underway, but many modern boats don't have this option. Sometimes you can put a valve on the intake pipe to shut off water ingress so you don't fill the tank when you're not wanting to use it.

As per Sheiks post, a valve on the intake as close as possible where it comes thru the transom is always preferable. If your intake is just below the hull and facing forward it will fill up.

I think it might have a little screw in gizmo on the outlet into the tank, you screw it in and it blocks off the flow from the scoop.

It "should" have both if the input hose is internal. A ball valve to shut off the inflow - for safety if nothing else to stop the boat filling with water in the event of a plumbing failure and most live bait tank inputs have either a screw in or ball valve fitting to regulate inflow. It is normal as has been stated that if there is a "scoop" or similar that forward momentum if fast enough will cause enough pressure to fill the tank with a typical centrifugal type bait pump.