Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1

    Exclamation The latest on our SEQ Prawn disaster

    Landline link with 21 minutes of info and to my disgust, bad government decisions.

    It is seriously with a look... as I said, 21 minutes long but very informative.

    http://www.abc.net.au/landline/conte...7/s4661688.htm


    cheers LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

    For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here





  2. #2

    Re: The latest on our SEQ Prawn disaster

    Thanks Phill, my cousin as a marine bioligist was working on one of these farms and has been greatly affected once again someone stuffs up and still gets paid,but i did here that a old trawler man said that they had white spot in the bay in the early 1960's,so there might be some hope for the wild stock yet fingers crossed.

    It was good to see the whole story,the federal goverment should cough up for there up front costs to get going again,if they were cattle farmers they would have been compensated.

  3. #3

    Re: The latest on our SEQ Prawn disaster

    What brainless idiot, would on one hand, limit the import of prawns, in shells, to be cooked only, then allow pealed prawns to be imported, .
    What control could they possibly have on the use of those shelled prawns..

    The government was warned about this some 10 years ago, and now they want the prawn farmers to pay back some of the loaned money, to get going again.
    The ramifications of this issue , should be taken to court,
    It should have been a very basic decision, to stop the import of uncooked peeled prawns, many years ago,
    Mongrels.
    David

  4. #4

    Re: The latest on our SEQ Prawn disaster

    Federally the portfolios covering this are Trade and Fisheries. We'll go back to when this started and Mark Vaile was Fisheries Minister from 1998-1999, then Warren Truss took over until 2005 and then Peter McGauran until the change of Government in 2007. Trade Minister from 1999-2006 was again Mark Vaile and then Warren Truss until 2007. Mark Vaile oversaw the China Free Trade agreement and other " ambiguous and unpopular " political moves. This Truss / Vaile relationship and monopoly of the Fishery / Trade portfolios appears to be " fishy " ?


    LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

    For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here





  5. #5

    Re: The latest on our SEQ Prawn disaster

    This story was picked up by Channel 9 today and although it ran for a couple of minutes, it drove home the message, but failed to mention the lack of Federal Government assistance.

    https://www.facebook.com/iwakeupwith...6440651390594/


    LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

    For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here





  6. #6

    Re: The latest on our SEQ Prawn disaster

    Heads need to roll examples need to be made.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

  7. #7

    Re: The latest on our SEQ Prawn disaster

    $20 million assistance package announced

  8. #8

    Re: The latest on our SEQ Prawn disaster

    from the report:-

    The Federal Government and the prawn industry have reached agreement on a $20 million reimbursement package for farmers affected by the white spot outbreak.


    Late last year the disease was found on seven prawn farms on the Logan River, between Brisbane and the Gold Coast in south-east Queensland, and those farms were shut down.


    A total of $4 million of the compensation package will eventually be repaid, through a levy that all prawn farmers across Australia will pay.

    SO, the federal Government, who allowed this disease in is coughing up 20Mill.... 20Mill $'s will not cover the loss of revenue on one of the major farms.

    The Govt are also asking for $4mill to be repaid by way of a levi, which no doubt will be passed onto consumers.


    This is piss poor IMO. The Government and probably Vaile, Truss be made to pay up from their own pockets, as they are the sole culprits in allowing this situation to happen in the first place.

    Although the report states the farmers have agreed to this.... I would have liked to be a fly on the wall at that meeting. I think there is more to it. We wait and see.


    LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

    For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here





  9. #9

    Re: The latest on our SEQ Prawn disaster

    I think some suites are still on the table and rightly so,25mil in lost stock and there world reputation is gone plus the time lost to start up again the 20mil offer is way below par and that's not to mention the wild stock and the loss form the wild prawn market.

  10. #10

    Re: The latest on our SEQ Prawn disaster

    Even if a farm starts up again, they won't be using untreated raw water from the nearest source such as the Logan river where water quality sample tests have always been below standard. This means additional costs for filtration systems any prawn farmer will buckle under, it's a lame duck unless we as a human race, not just our environmental watchdogs, learn to stop polluting. It's that cigarette but that washes down the drain, the fertilizers to keep our grass green, the green prawn import we carelessly throw on the end of the hook for a fish. All ignorance as far as I am concerned no matter how far up the totem pole you are looking.

    Sent from my HTC_0P6B6 using Ausfish mobile app

  11. #11

    Re: The latest on our SEQ Prawn disaster

    I want to know if the bloke that wrote the risk assessments that allowed white spot prawns to enter Australian markets still has a job. Pollys are an arrogant bunch and we all know they have vested interests left right and centre. At the end of the day though, you can really only point the finger at the polly when the experts in Biosecurity tell them that the risk is too high and the polly ignores them against that good advice.

    From the earlier reports it appears that biosecurity unbelievably put the risk as low and they allowed white spot infected prawns to hit the market. It is now up to the polly to make sure these puppets that poorly rated the risk are fired and to over-ride these idiots and put a ban on infected prawns hitting the market.

    One thing I don't understand though is. How is it possible that farmed prawns from overseas can be landed here in Australia and sold at retail prices considerably lower than locally caught bait prawns? It's considerably cheaper to buy a kg of green vanemai(sp) prawns from Woolies than it is to buy Tweed Bait prawns. The fact that this crucial piece of information was overlooked or ignored is astounding.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Join us