Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ANZAC Day Boat Ramps WTF!

ANZAC Day Boat Ramps WTF!

Now I take my boat out ALL the time and I've seen some pretty awesome conditions but I've never seen the number of boats going out anywhere NEAR what they were yesterday! At Manly (where I usually launch from and LOVE) it was brutal. Even on the calmest weekend days with the bloody MARKETS on right next door, there's half a carpark left empty. Not ANZAC day. I was there early so I got an easy park (after queuing for a ramp which again, never happens there) but when I came back at 12ish, there was trailers parked illegally EVERYWHERE and on the street!A mate went from Raby Bay which was, as usual, worse, and another mate says Wello was just as bad!
    Like I said, I've seen plenty of days with better forecasts with a quarter of the traffic.
    I'm just chalking it up to an insatiable desire in all Australians to fish during the working week
    Peter

Re: ANZAC Day Boat Ramps WTF!

LOL - was keen to hit the water yesaterday but thought will just take a drive down the ramp for a looksee before setting the boat up.... straight back home for some extra snooze time.

Ausfish Silver Member jackson4300's Avatar

Thats wellington point on a standard weekend...

It was crazy. I hit victorua point at 5.30 to fund about 18 boats lined up. Went to Cleveland. It was worse. Finally in water at 7.30am at Manly. Bay was pretty smooth, Except for all the boat wakes made it like a washing machine!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jackson4300 View Post
    Thats wellington point on a standard weekend...

i reckon it has quite ind down since Cleveland got its upgrade

Ha...was going to create a "Boatramp at Easter" report thread to invite the tales of comedy and woe. As far back as I can recall it was always fight club...fortunately I was never skipper in those days. I saw the weather for the day on Tuesday and figured it would be a shambles given the past few weeks. Not for me. Missed the best day in months though I reckon...Bloody public holidays.

Pinkenba car park was over flowing, busiest I've ever seen it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shorncliffe ramp was the same nearly to full capacity which I have never ever seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    560c Bar Crusher "Overtime"

Boating on public holidays with a good weather report has become a "national pastime". Next time wait for Australia Day with a favorable weather forecast - last time we did that down the pin it was that rough with boat traffic we couldn't tow the kids on the tube LOL. Waited an hour to launch and longer to retrieve at Vic Pt. Just got to take a chill pill and bite one's tongue.

A busy day at the ramp always adds to the adventure of being out with family and friends. It is good to see all the ramps full and people getting out enjoying the beautiful backyard we all live in.

Went out early and came back early from raby bay ramp predicting it would be manic and got lucky with the timing. I've been there on some busy public holidays but it was the first time I've seen numerous people having to park there trailers up past the roudabout towards the grandy.
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

Quote Originally Posted by Triple View Post
    Went out early and came back early from raby bay ramp predicting it would be manic and got lucky with the timing. I've been there on some busy public holidays but it was the first time I've seen numerous people having to park there trailers up past the roudabout towards the grandy.
    We parked opposite grandview! Was bloody full carport... Should of kept the berth!

Ummed and ahhed about going out the night before. Thought I would give it a go; how bad could it be! Got to Scarby around 5:20 am. 8 boats in front of me and the car park chocca block so I turned around and went home. Like someone said above, in my little 4.3 it would be like a washing machine all day and then you have to try and get back in at some stage. Went home, popped the hubs off the boat trailer, waited for the shops to open and bought and fitted 2 new hubs with bearing buddies, went to the pub for a steak and watched footy in the shed with a couple of beers. Much more relaxed day than otherwise. I will wait for another day or night.
    Terry...

Its caused by all you other buggers wanting to go fishing, you should all of stayed home so I could have had a good quiet day on the water

same at Port Macquarie...the ramp takes 5 and has pontoons...but people still line up , seems some cant back a boat trailer either side..one guy was pushing the boat in off the trailer while his wife was in the 4x4 waiting to drive away and park...so he lost his footing walking along the centre board and stepped into the water in front of the rear rollers..he yelled something out in anger and his wife reversed down a metre flattened him in the water...he yelled again so she put it in forward gear and drove out a couple of metres..broke his leg......things you see on holiday week-end at a boat ramp...Rob