Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Charter boat roll over

Charter boat roll over

South passage bar early today. 11 + 2 onboard. Rescue services in attendance. Anyone know which boat?

Re: Charter boat roll over

Have heard it was "Firebird"

Haven't heard yet

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Have heard it was "Firebird"
    that's the red one with twin Suzies

It was Mathew Hubbards boat, Moreton Island Fishing Charters

Ausfish Silver Member jackson4300's Avatar

Hubbard wasn't onboard though.

Sounds like it was a very nasty accident which could have been a lot worse, glad to here most came away relatively unscathed.
    Cheers Axl

Do we know if they were using a particular channel? I know some of the operators use alternate ones to the middle and south.
    I've been on a dive charter through there as well and they seem to head straight out of the Rous channel somehow.
    I thought I'd seen a charter boat head that way on Monday as well, but couldn't say who it was.

Glad everyone is ok. Its something I worry about every time I cross any bar.
    We had one stand up on us on Monday (middle channel) but we had about 30meters to make a decision and head to where there was no white water.
    It came out of know where and as we went over it, there was another one right behind it (like 5metres away) and then nothing / clear waters.

Scottar, at first glance I thought it was Maverick

Good to see all made it back ok.
    Just watching the news and I know the guy that cut his arm and chest up but bugger me, can't work out from where.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    South passage bar early today. 11 + 2 onboard. Rescue services in attendance. Anyone know which boat?

Just heard from a friend that the news reported no one was wearing a life jacket. Has anyone heard the same? Isn't it a legal requirement?

Only reason I say this was that I made a comment to some friends today that it would have taken RESCUE (bless them) at least an hour to get to them, Lucky for the compulsory life jacket rule on Bar Crossings.

I know lots of people cross South Passage Bar with ease but I had a bad experience on my third crossing, Scared the crap out me.

Quote Originally Posted by castlemaine View Post
    Just heard from a friend that the news reported no one was wearing a life jacket. Has anyone heard the same? Isn't it a legal requirement?

Only reason I say this was that I made a comment to some friends today that it would have taken RESCUE (bless them) at least an hour to get to them, Lucky for the compulsory life jacket rule on Bar Crossings.

I know lots of people cross South Passage Bar with ease but I had a bad experience on my third crossing, Scared the crap out me.
    Not compulsory to wear a life jacket crossing a bar in a boat that size. I'm pretty sure under 4.8m you do (in qld)

Correct and unless you are older than 12months and under 12yrs old.......

Lifejacket rules

It is compulsory to wear a lifejacket:

Our law says that:

• boat owners or skippers must give each person on board information about where safety equipment is kept and clearly sign where lifejackets are stowed. The labels must have the word ‘lifejacket’ in red text on a white background or white text on a red background
    • lifejackets must comply and display information about which Australian Standard (AS) applies. The lifejacket must comply with this standard. The current standard is AS 4758, which has replaced AS 1512-1996, AS 1499-1996 and AS 2260-1996. Lifejackets that meet these previous standards are still acceptable to use if they are in good condition

Quote Originally Posted by Moejoes View Post

Just watching the news and I know the guy that cut his arm and chest up but bugger me, can't work out from where.
    Must be seeing double Rob - you been drinking again .

Quote Originally Posted by Moejoes View Post

his name is Geoff and he's a painter does that help?
    yes firebird
    yes crossing bar in the middle aprox 2.2nm either way too nearest land. not a good place to be !. no freak wave, set of waves
    11 on board total, 1 female 10 male inc. decky and skipper
    roll over aprox 5.50am
    all picked up by water police

good reminder to all, wear your inflateable life jacket, have epirbs, life jackets and flares FULLY accessable, spend the extra and get a water activated epirb,

Quote Originally Posted by fishntime View Post
    .... spend the extra and get a water activated epirb,
    1. What would be the reason for this recommendation considering the circumstances and size/type of vessel?