Thread: Fishing trip/charter options

Fishing trip/charter options

Hi all

Just on our way back from a 7 day charter to the Swains. Had an absolute ball.

Towards the end of the trip, talk turned to if we are going to do it again next year. There was some debate if we should go to the Swains again or something different.

So if we where going to do something different, what are some suggestions? Does not have to be limited to just charters, there are a few of us with boats that we could get 3 or 4 boats together to take somewhere as well.

Keen to hear any suggestions you have.

Cheers

Mark

Re: Fishing trip/charter options

Hey Mark

How was the Swains?
    what boat were you on. I am going on the iron joy in June. Can't wait.

As as for other trips, how big are your boats.
    Some good trips we have done is Waddy point at Fraser. Great fun launching in the gutter.

And staying at Agnes for a week and trying to get a few over nighters in.

Both trips are great with good mates, and work out very ecconomical compared to swains trip.

I would like to get over to Exmouth area for mother ship trip one day, and a kimberly's trip one day too.

Tell me me more about you swains trip.
    Im getting excited.

Rob

Hi Rob

We we're on the Kanimbla. First time out on it for me. Very happy with the boat, good condition and had 6 dorys which meant we could all get out if we wanted. Weather wasn't great, but that is the luck of the draw.ood

Went past the Iron Joy and it looked good but obviously only saw it from the outside. Back deck area looked a good area for motherboat fishing generally relaxing after the day is done. Dorys also looked good being centre consoles.

A fair few mackerel and tuna were caught off the back of the main boat trolling with lures while moving around. Great fun and not something I had done on previous trips. Make sure you take lures and troll from boat the motherboat and the dorys. If (when) I was to go again, I would consider getting an overhead on a short trolling rod especially for the purpose.

Couple of GT caught of the back of the main boat with a hook through a frame. Awesome to watch these things fight and the size of them once on board. All let go to fight another day. I threw some poppers around for them but no luck, all the fish caught were on bait.

Take lots of hooks and sinkers (small for fishing the reef and larger for drifting the deeper water).

Is this your first trip up there? Let me know if you want to know anything in particular?

Thanks for your suggestion for trips. Anybody else got some suggestions?

Cheers

Mark

Couple blokes I know do the Coromel In NZ for mega kings and snapper. Trip is cheaper than Swaines too.

Depends on what your after in a fishing trip mate , I have done Darwin Barra base for a 5 day Barra and Bluewater charter which was outstanding but not cheap but you got to bring some fish home at the end of the trip .
    Then there was was Kimberley Coastal camp trip which was outstanding and unforgettable for a whole heap of reasons , but it's mostly catch and release in a place that is neigh impossible to fish any other way but you only take home the memories and photos and video.
    The Kimberley trip is expensive and KCc is heavily booked but it is worth every cent as far as I am concerned it's a truly unique piece of Australia that I recommend to everyone I talk to .

Then there is Kiribati in the middle of the Pacific Ocean , a coral reef that has some fantastic fishing that is reasonably priced that is on my Bucket list as is Papua Nui gunea for the black bass and Barra. Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Today is actually a sad day. Some time around midnight I was due to be driving to cairns to catch a flight to Weipa for our annual boys trip. We have been going 14 years in a row, but cyclone Debbie has put paid to it this year as 4 of the crew come from Airlie Beach and just too much fall-out. A bareboat trip on one of the 2 Weipa Houseboat vessels is an amazing and diverse trip, offering the very best of creeks, blue water, reef and beaches. Lure/fly and bait all packed into 70 kilometres and on great floating fishing shacks. You can tow your own boats up as tenders or hire their 4.5 meter polly's. The boats are adequate, tough and well maintained, the houseboats are indestructible, practical and well equipped with lots of fridge space and the fishing lives up to Weipas reputation once you get your head around the tides and weather. The only thing wrong with Weipa is that I won't be there this year. Have had the dates booked for 2 years to get the best tides and it is a bit like a year without Christmas.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

To answer a few questions that have been asked, my boat is about a 6.5m plate boat. There are a couple of other the same in the group and also a few smaller tinnies.

What am I after in a fishing trip? Bring back some fish is a bonus, but not a must. I live about 4 hours from the coast, so we are a bit hesitant buying fish here as it will not be fresh, therefore certainly value having some fish in the fridge, but definitely not a must. Probably of more importance is the experience of catching some fish. 1770 had certainly crossed my mind, the only problem is you can go there for a week and get crap weather for the week and not get out. Don't get me wrong, great place and have enjoyed in the past and will do again. 10 + blokes + bad weather + holiday = liver damage. Hinchinbrook was something that I was thinking about, if the weather was good, head to the reefs, if the weather was bad, stay inside, but could still fish.

Will think hard about Darwin Barra Base and also NW WA which is certainly on the bucket list.

NZ also has some attraction as we could potentially take the families over after the fishing is finished.

kc - sorry to hear the trip is not going to happen this year.

Cheers

Mark

Info on NZ. The guys fly over. Local publican picks them up and drops them back to the airport. They have accomodation at the pub. He runs the charters. He cooks the caught fish for dinner. Well priced and good fishing.

Hi guys, best charter trip i have ever done is chasing Black Bass in PNG, great bunch of guys who run a well organized operation.

The fishing is fantastic as well, they are one tough fish, cheers wayne

My missus and I just did 3 days at Carmor Plains, owned and operated by Australia Wide Safaris. Its a couple of hours out of Darwin, just east of Shady Camp. We fished Carmor Creek and Love Creek. Between the two of us, in 3 days, we caught 531 Barramundi. The most amazing fishing I've ever experienced. http://www.australiawidesafaris.com.au/
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

Quote Originally Posted by aussiebasser View Post
    My missus and I just did 3 days at Carmor Plains, owned and operated by Australia Wide Safaris. Its a couple of hours out of Darwin, just east of Shady Camp. We fished Carmor Creek and Love Creek. Between the two of us, in 3 days, we caught 531 Barramundi. The most amazing fishing I've ever experienced. http://www.australiawidesafaris.com.au/
    Thanks for that link I will show my misses it looks the go . Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Quote Originally Posted by bluefin59 View Post
    Thanks for that link I will show my misses it looks the go . Matt
    They only fish during the Run-off, but it's a very professional operation. Amazing food and all drinks supplied. Comfortable accommodation.

Sorry about the foreign language, but this is the Robson Green episode he filmed there a few years ago.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

Free Membership

Hi Mark. I run Wild Fishing Expeditions. I am currently organising week long trips to Kiribati for all sorts of sport fishing.
    GT popping
    Jigging
    Game fishing
    Fly fishing
    Etc

Whatever takes the anglers fancy. Prices are for an all inclusive package and start from $2750pp for twin share and 2 anglers per boat. This includes boat, guide, fuel, accommodation, food, airport pick up and drop off. Flights to kiribati are additional.

If you want to know more get in touch. Cheers