Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caloundra bar claims 2 boats

Caloundra bar claims 2 boats

Big seas SE qld...........
    https://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.a...h-sea/3167101/

randell

Re: Caloundra bar claims 2 boats

With some of the footage I saw on Facebook last night, it's a wonder they only had two.

That first photo Caloundra?

Was a surprising amount of ground swell yesterday, nice barrels off the coffee rock at mooloolabah

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

Shouldn't have been a surprise, been another weather system over towards new Zealand last week or so, time is about right for the heavy seas to be coming through.

I don't quite get how it's described as "treacherous conditions" yet the were caught by a "freak wave" if conditions are bad, all waves are to be treated as these "freak" waves....

1st boat up the coast that went over this morning was a 14ft PUNT with 3 pob,
    A freak ripple would take it out.

Also one yesterday so three in two days, the waves were all dumpers, we made the call not to go.

Was surfing the river mouth at Noosa for most of Easter and there were some good 6fters coming through occasionally and its no where near as exposed as Caloundra...........watched a few larger boats go through but more people turned back than went over.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Also one yesterday so three in two days, the waves were all dumpers, we made the call not to go.
    My mate from Caloundra said it was pretty dodgy, I think he was going to go, but had a look and decided not to.

None of the locals tried it, Fri was cheeky, Sat was dodgy but Sun/Mon definately risky. Really keen to get out as the snapper were hitting SP's pretty hard.

Quote Originally Posted by fishing111 View Post
    That first photo Caloundra?
    Definitely not Caloundra in the first photo

I was watching the bar from kings beach on Sunday. A boat that looked like a Whittley approached the bar and was timing the wave. They selected their wave to follow in and we're almost fully committed when three jet skis came flying over the wave and zipping around. Watched the boat abort and didn't see them go in as I had to take the kids home. I wasn't even in the boat and I was livid at the jet skis
    The bar is bad enough without that

That's infuriating.

Cuzza

Quote Originally Posted by Still_Dreamin View Post
    I was watching the bar from kings beach on Sunday. A boat that looked like a Whittley approached the bar and was timing the wave. They selected their wave to follow in and we're almost fully committed when three jet skis came flying over the wave and zipping around. Watched the boat abort and didn't see them go in as I had to take the kids home. I wasn't even in the boat and I was livid at the jet skis
    The bar is bad enough without that