Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: There is no excuse for this; the alternatives do a better job anyway!

Re: There is no excuse for this; the alternatives do a better job anyway!

As intimated at the start of this thread there is at least one non toxic alternative foam that can be used to quickly extinguish fire; all be it by cooling rather than smothering fire.

Because post fire cleanup is much reduced the cost of using the alternative is actually likely to be less than the material in use at present.

Why is the toxic and more expensive (fire suppression and cleanup combined) foam still being used?
    What could go wrong.......................

I don't have a direct answer, and as a builder, composition of foam is something I haven't taken an interest in until now, but fef foam isn't even mentioned in state or federal standards, and I'm not seeing many compliance as/nzs numbers on any of the advertising links you have put up.
    I am happy to be corrected, but unless it jumps through official hoops it isn't going to appear too soon. As I said previously though, the arff changed to another sort of friendly/er class b foam some time back.
    As to the why's all I know is that bad foam is poisonous, acidic, eats steel lines, smells vomitous, has nothing going for it apart from killing avgas/a1 fires, so there must be a strong argument to have kept it this long.

Thanks GBC

Still cannot get my head around the fact that if it was good enough for the FDNY to use at the world trade centre on 9/11 its not good enough for Australia.
    The oil tanker fire that Lloyds estimated would take 10 days to extinguish to 12.5 minutes with this stuff.

If I'm on or near a burning plane or anything else I know what I want used around me.

Have you ever walked though AFFF and then checked the soles of your boots afterwards?

Maybe we will join the rest of the world one day?

https://www.epa.gov/greenchemistry/p...business-award
    http://www.pyrocooltech.com/about-us/

This is the air Nauru (was gam aviation) hangar at bne. It is a different foam system so there are alternatives.

There you go, there is more than one way to skin a cat / protect a hanger!

Thanks GBC

As an update, rumour has it that the poison has made it through the sewers to luggage point where it has killed all the bacteria used to treat sewerage.
    All the sewers in the area are being dug up or treated and they are still flooding them and pumping them dry 24/7.
    Cause apparently was a corroded line letting go.
    It is getting bigger all the time.