Thread: Glenlyon Dam

Glenlyon Dam

I'm staying at the campground over the QLD Labour Day weekend (actually for 5 days) and wondered if anyone can give a recent report on the fishing and water level. I like to mix the fishing between live bait and trolling lures. Any recent info would be appreciated.

Re: Glenlyon Dam

No current info for you - but I love that dam, looking forward to a report!

Just ring Brian or Debbie for the latest.One of the few tourist park operators that will give an honest unbiased report and helpful advice.
    Cheers
    Ray

It will be busy at the park as their is a cod reasearch tagging weekend on at that time. All fishing the river but. See you there I will be the guy with a hat on.
    Cheers

Steven

Thanks for the info about the research tagging, Steve. I was going to run some shrimp traps in the river from the bank but maybe I'll just put them in the dam instead. I'll remember to look for the guy in the hat. Cheers

Run them in the river as well, that is in NSW so you can run what, 5 traps down there? and your allowed 4 traps in the dam in Qld

Quote Originally Posted by greyfox View Post
    Thanks for the info about the research tagging, Steve. I was going to run some shrimp traps in the river from the bank but maybe I'll just put them in the dam instead. I'll remember to look for the guy in the hat. Cheers
    Seriously, talk to Brian and Deb and they will put you onto the info. My tip, at ramp turn left (no brainer really ) but slow troll a hard body or two with your boat in about 5-6 meters of water, 3 meter diver on the left, 6 meter diver on the right

if you get round all the corners and are looking at the dam wall and have not caught a fish I would be surprised. No reason to fly off at a hundred miles an hour looking for them.

And me, well #1 buzz cut and goatee. Will be with 2 other blokes, one looks like he is a hundred and fifty named Jeff and the other we call Catlin. ( when he was a man some called him Dave)
    Cheers

Steven

Quote Originally Posted by Feral View Post
    Run them in the river as well, that is in NSW so you can run what, 5 traps down there? and your allowed 4 traps in the dam in Qld
    onlyone trap in NSW plus a fishing licence.

only 1, geez what use is that?
    been a long time since I was down there!

Feral is correct have a look here.
    http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fishing/re...hib-freshwater
    Clearly says 5. Fresh different from salt.
    cheers
    Ray

Quote Originally Posted by rayken1938 View Post
    Feral is correct have a look here.
    http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fishing/re...hib-freshwater
    Clearly says 5. Fresh different from salt.
    cheers
    Ray
    might want to read"closed waters for yabby traps....East of the Newell"

Home from Glenlyon Dam. Weather was good most of the time but fishing was slow. We had about 12 club members fishing over the weekend for small numbers of yella's and the odd silver. Nothing over 2 kg's. Only one small cod and , of course, some jew to 2.3 kgs. Both lures and bait were used and whilst we have had a lot better fishing in the past, we've also had similar results to this trip. Shrimp were in the dam but you had to move the traps around a bit. No thieving overnight which was good to see. The cod tagging weekend was the previous weekend in the local rivers and the results on the board at the kiosk were astounding. Over 200 tagged and released. Went to Bonshaw Weir for a look and some campers there were catching some nice cod each day just upstream. All good to see. Cheers