Thread: Overnight fishing Sunshine Coast

Overnight fishing Sunshine Coast

So am planning my first overnight fishing trip out from Mooloolabah, being from Mackay we used to regularly stay out 2 or 3 nights weather permitting but there was always islands nearby to shelter in when Mooring, does anyone go out far enough from coast to warrant overnight trips in a 6m-7m boat

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

Ausfish Silver Member jackson4300's Avatar

Re: Overnight fishing Sunshine Coast

I have on several occasions when fishing the barwon banks or the hards out that way. Just have to pick the weather.

I have done quite a few overnight trips out wide. If you are staying up all night there is no problem but be aware that a lot of container ships run through that area. I always put a deck floodlight on as a standard anchor light will not cut it. My boat is plate alloy so hopefully the radar pinged it as ships have passed a mile away & did not respond to Ch16 calls on VHF.
    ROLL TIDE, ROLL.................

Regards,
    Peter

Not just container ships either. Has been at least one case of a longline vessel running over an anchored rec boat that I know of.

From my experience you cannot rely on them to change course!

Quote Originally Posted by peterbo3 View Post
    I have done quite a few overnight trips out wide. If you are staying up all night there is no problem but be aware that a lot of container ships run through that area. I always put a deck floodlight on as a standard anchor light will not cut it. My boat is plate alloy so hopefully the radar pinged it as ships have passed a mile away & did not respond to Ch16 calls on VHF.

Cheers! Yeah the shipping channel was my biggest concern being out

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

Maybe a bit further north than what your planning, but we would sleep at Di or waddy point when up that way. Can get pretty rough up there with the shelf, currents and swell all mixing in the good fishing spots.