Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which Motor

Which Motor

Iam looking at a new 481 quintrex fishabout.

However, depeding on where u buy it, depends on what motor u get.

Spoken to few dealers, price much the same, but got a choice of 70 hp yammy 4 strke, 75 hp mer 4 stroke or etec 75 hp.

what are your thoughts

cheers
    greg

Re: Which Motor

Check the weight on those choices, the 70 Yamaha is a pretty light engine, and 4.8 is not a big boat, so weight is something to look at.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Check the weight on those choices, the 70 Yamaha is a pretty light engine, and 4.8 is not a big boat, so weight is something to look at.
    Noelm
    So are u saying stay away from the yammy?

No, not at all, just saying that the Yamaha is a light motor and MIGHT be the best option, that said, I don't know the exact weights of the other two, I would go for the lightest one I could, all three will be good motors.

Thanks.
    i know the merc and yammy 4 strokes are well advertised. I just dont know about the etec. I can only remember when that came out saying 300 hrs no service. I dont know anyone who has one.

I reckon with boats under 5 meters is where 2 stroke engines shine. I'd go the 2 stroke etec.

Up to a point, but, do not confuse the e-tec with a simple, lightweight carby 2 stroke, as I said before, the Quintrex is a pretty light boat, and will not sit well with an over weight motor on the back, it will certainly be OK with any of the motors mentioned, but you might as well choose what could be much better balanced.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Up to a point, but, do not confuse the e-tec with a simple, lightweight carby 2 stroke, as I said before, the Quintrex is a pretty light boat, and will not sit well with an over weight motor on the back, it will certainly be OK with any of the motors mentioned, but you might as well choose what could be much better balanced.
    Fair point noelm. Weight would probably be the biggest influence for the decision

Thanks Noelm. I see ur point. I havnt looked at their weights as yet.
    i looksed at the etec and whether u can believe the things u read or see about them having 25 % more out of the hole and top end speed, less fuel etc.
    Just a little mpre reserch i guess.

cheers
    greg

Merc 75 hp 4 stroke 163kg
    etec 75 145kg
    yammy 70hp 4 stroke 120 kg

that a fair weight difference. My last motor was a yammy 50 4 stroke. Looks like its yammy again

G'day

I'm sure there's a pretty big reason the merc is the heaviest, is it the 2.1L block? I have the bigger brother, the 90 4 stroke in a tiller, and it's an absolute animal, sensational engine.

What's the CC of the yamaha and etec? Warranty equation and max weight allowance for that hull?

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Seahorse View Post
    etec 75 145kg

that a fair weight difference. My last motor was a yammy 50 4 stroke. Looks like its yammy again
    PRECISION DETAILING
    For all your MARINE DETAILING needs
    www.precisiondetailing.com.au

having owned one of these boats with a 60 yamaha, the extra weight of 75hp donks is a non issue. They are not lightweight open tinnies with oars, lol.
    As a confirmed speed freak, i would chose the etec but really there is not much difference between any of them. Which ever gets you the best deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Seahorse View Post
    etec 75 145kg

Depends what you're looking for in an engine. If lightness is an absolute priority, the Yamaha is a pretty clear victor. But I'm not sure how weight sensitive the 481 hull is or whether you really need to be highly prioritising weight. I suspect it's a non-issue on a modern hull as Andy alludes to above. Quintrex rigs them with the ETEC straight from the factory so there's obviously no issue there. The Mercury is a bit heavier than the ETEC, but you're getting a lot more engine. And that's something I'd consider.

Remember that the Yamaha is light for a reason- it's a tiny engine next to the other two. The ETEC is a detuned 90hp class engine and the Mercury is a detuned 115 class engine. That is to say, they'll both run rings around the Yamaha in terms of performance. There's going to be a lot more torque on tap. Consider that the Mercury is more than twice the size of the Yamaha (!) and the same engine runs ~130hp as a 115 Pro-XS. Comparing it to the 1L Yamaha would be like comparing a Camry to an SS Commodore. The Yamaha is a great choice if you're trying to run skinny, but if you enjoy driving you'll probably appreciate the extra grunt of the other two. I'd lean Mercury.

Mercury - 163kg - 2100cc
    Etec - 145kg - 1300cc
    Yamaha - 120kg - 1000cc

I would go the etec or merc for the torque, boat will plane with less effort and under less stress at cruise. We have a 480 coast runner with 75 efi Honda and find it a good all round combo for fishing and skiing.

Some really good info there. I thought the weight ratio would be best, hence the yammy.
    I didnt realise that the merc would be that much more powerful a motor. I really didnt want an etec. Just me i guess. Just find the servicing thing hard to believe.
    With the merc is there a specific model i should be looking at in the 75 hp?

Thanks for the info everyone