Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which Motor

Re: Which Motor

I just checked the cc on the 75 hp merc and 70 yammy 4 stroke.
    The merc was 1732 cc and yammy was 996cc.

Does that sound right? Is that the correct thing to look at

Dont dismiss the etec because you dont understand the technology. Another thing to check is costs of servicing. Servicing the four strokes is an annual event that can be pretty high cost. The etecs consume some oil which isnt cheap. I paid no servicing costs with my etec for three years. I may have spent a couple of hundred on oil.
    Your buying a package, dont get too bogged down on which is the best motor. Weight, servicing costs, fuel efficiency and power calculations are not always clear cut. The biggest will have more torque but it comes at a 50kg penalty.
    Try before buying. Go out with the dealers and test the boats with the motors you are considering. You will soon see if any real differences are noticeable. Go out with 3-4 people on board.
    Top speed with a 60hp yamaha was around 60km/hr. A 75 should push it to around 70km/hr if propped properly.

Thanks Andy. Yeah i know the year.y serving isnt cheap, usually around $500 i think from memory.
    What etec do u have? Are they as quiet as the 4 strokes. But that cc difference between the yammy and merc is not far off double. I know they are 40 kg heavier. I will ask for trial runs, but i would want to see all 3. Would the dealers do this.

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Seahorse View Post
    I just checked the cc on the 75 hp merc and 70 yammy 4 stroke.
    The merc was 1732 cc and yammy was 996cc.

Does that sound right? Is that the correct thing to look at
    Not quite. The new Mercury 75hp is 2100cc, the old superceded model was 1732. And correct the Yamaha is 996. So the Mercury is in fact more than twice the engine.

Scroll to the bottom of this page for specs on the current model Mercs.

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/...oke/75-115-hp/

I should probably also clarify how the manufacturers separate their displacement classes. Yamaha obviously do a 1L 70hp which is what you're looking at, the next step up in their range is the newly released 90-130hp engines which are 1.8L. In ETEC land, the 75 & 90 are a 1.3L 3 cylinder, then you step up to a 1.7L 4 cylinder with the 90HO-130 range. Mercury on the other hand have recently released their new 75-115 engines which are all 2.1L, so they've essentially merged 2 engine classes- instead of the 75 & 90 being smaller engines, they're all based on a 115hp now, which is why they pack such a punch. That's where the Merc 75's extra weight comes from, it's essentially a 115.

I personally have a ETEC, love it. But honestly at the moment, for what you're looking at I'd go Mercury. Evinrude are in the process are upgrading their engines to the new G2 architecture, so in the next couple of years the current 75-115 engines will be superseded. Mercury on the other hand recently launched their 2.1L engines so they'll be around for another 6-8 years - and they've been very well received.

Thanks heaps Davidson. That is great info which i bet a lot dont know. We just go with a package .
    Merc looks the best.

cheers

This is in interesting comparison on the water with three identical boats.
    Jack.

Pretty sure you could trust a "comparison" done by the dealer of one of the brands being tested!

Blog Entries

Are there other factors that need weighing up ...Quite often people overlook the trailer that the package is sitting on ...
    Are there differences in the trailers that should be considered before making the purchase ..Also quality of boat fitout.
    I remember some time ago when I was lookin at a boat from different suppliers & noticed the above .

Yes, very true, often packages have small and/or cheap trailers included to make the whole deal look much more attractive, there is lots to look into, you have the boat model sorted, now looking at motors, the next thing is the trailer, then lastly all the odds and ends that are included, or more to the point, not included.

Hey Noelm, what are u saying about the demo? Lol
    I guess if u dont believe in ur ptoduct then dont sell it. I would prob do everything to make my motor look the best but he did look pretty honest.
    I really wanted a 4 stroke but iam not after a 40 hp, iam chasing a 75 hp.
    I will send him an email and get some prices. Grinner u r right about the package, trailer etc.
    But as davidson has quoted on the figures he has. The merc appears so much more powerful. I put this to a dealer on the gold coast this morning and he was an etec/yammy/ suki dealer. He had no idea about the L of each motor and when i told him about the merc at 2.1 he couldnt believe it. Surely these figures mean something

It does mean something...the Merc is way over weight for its output, the weight as a 115 is pretty good, acceptable as a 90, but, out of its league compared to everyone else's 70/75 (in my opinion) offering, and on a "light" hull, it's something to look at. Everyone recommends the motor they have, nothing could be better, but, now and then you need to look with a clear head.

I agree with what Noelm just wrote. Just play it cool. A salesman is a salesman is a salesman.
    I had 130etec on my signature.
    To be honest, the Yamaha i had on my quintrex was very smooth and quiet compared to the etec, but not by enough for me to cry over. But different boats and different expectations. But i always felt 60 was not enough, good but not enough.
    I kind of didnt mean go to one dealer for comparison of motors. Thats asking for missinformation. I meant go to different dealer/motor packages, hahahahaha

Now u blokes are no good. Iam lost even more now. No elm, u think the weight of the 75 is a bit much for the 481. It was on my mind. I just don't think the yammy 70 would just have enough grunt. The etec is a 2 stroke not a 4 . The 60 hp yammy should be ok on a 450 shouldn't it?

Take them all for a spin, at least one with the smallest engine (yamaha) and one with the biggest (merc) and see the difference. I dare say they'll need further fine tuning with engine height and prop selection but that's after you buy.
    PRECISION DETAILING
    For all your MARINE DETAILING needs
    www.precisiondetailing.com.au