Thread: 1770 18/3/17

1770 18/3/17

Planned a quick trip to Turkey beach for an overnight up at bloomfield reef.
    We left Brisbane early with the big girl in tow on Friday morning and headed up to drop in at Turkey beach. We arrived just after lunch with no issues only to be greeted with a nice rain squall pushing heavy winds of 30-40knts with driving rain. Once the storm cleared we attempted to launch at the ramp...... however it was not to be. Ramp is fairly flat there are we couldn't get the bloody boat off the trailer. After attempting to tie the back of the boat to the jetty and driving forward, we decided it wasn't going to happen. After a few beverages which assisted in our thinking, we decided to head south to the 1770 ramp where i have launched many times before.

Ended up at the 1770 ramp around 5 in the afternoon and dropped the boat in. We sneaked out the headlands at low tide and was greeted with a nice 15knt breeze and no swell. We pushed out with a new plan of spending the next 24 hrs around fitzroy and surrounds. We spent the evening bouncing between marks and at around 9pm decided to duck into the lagoon for some sleep.
    Fishing on saturday was ok in the morning, but dropped off once the wind turned against the current.so we headed into the lagoon for a swim and bbq lunch
    Had a big shark say hello at the boat while we were having a swim during the break in the lagoon. Tax man was around 3m with a solid girth. a healthy reminder we are visiting their home!
    Ended up sleeping on the reef again saturday night. Came home sunday morning and had a quick fish on the way in for some nice trout, tuskie etc.
    This was our first trip on the reef with the stabilisers and they worked a bloody treat! I have used them a few times before but never sleeping offshore. Boat sat dead flat both nights during the wind squalls and on saturday night we had a solid 15 ktns all night and the boat wasn't even rolling around.

Was a nice easy trip with no issues. Kept enough fish for a nice feed. I think over the past few years there has been an big increase in fishing pressure around Fitzroy. Next trip we will be pushing up towards Innaminka shoals
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0418.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	48.7 KB 
ID:	115527Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0417.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	115528

Re: 1770 18/3/17

Good on ya ric, how was the entrance at 1770 on the low?

0.5m.. We bumped our way across with the engines up.
    A little to the south it looks like a small channel is pushing through so maybe in a couple of weeks it will deepen up.

Sounds like a good fishing adventure. Out of interest, what are the stabilisers you used on the boat?

Sent from my XT1580 using Ausfish mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Ashtom View Post
    Out of interest, what are the stabilisers you used on the boat?

Sent from my XT1580 using Ausfish mobile app
    We use them to reduce the roll when anchoring offshore. Keeps it very flat for a great nights rest.

Hi Ric,
    Any chance of some more information on the stabilizers, brand, photos, how are they mounted etc.

Thanks,
    TMC

Well done mate, we were in fitzy that friday night as well, had a shit run up to 1770 from gympie which took 11 hrs, You probably would have seen us in there just on sundown but we were that rooted it seemed like 5 mins went by and it was time to get up in the morning.lol The sea conditions were magic.

Hey feral cat, yeah the conditions were magic on Friday night before the squall. I think we got in the lagoon around 8-9pm Friday night.

The mad cat: stabilisers are custom made mate. I'll try and dig up a couple of photos for you. Very easy to do if you have a hardtop.