Thread: Brisbane River Snapper.

Brisbane River Snapper.

Just got back from 5 weeks away at work and my son Tom was desperate for some fishing time with Dad. I asked him where he wanted to go fishing and his reply was 'Mud island' and I want to catch a Snapper'.
    Well the weather was blowing its head off on Friday so Mud was out. Plan B was to hit the river mouth catch some bait with the cast net and throw the pots out. I wasn't hopeful and thought at least we might get a thready.

Finally found a spot and after about 30mins Tom got the first bite, drag screaming and desperately hanging on he put up a big fight before the unknown fish spat the the hook. Poor bugger nearly cried, all he wanted was to catch a big fish.
    Well after an hour or so I was ready to give up, kids were restless and were playing with the live bait - hardy heads. Tom was rigging his own bait put 3 on his hook and cast his line out just as I said it's time to pack up and head home. All lines were in except toms turned to tell him to wind up and he gets a screaming run. He panicked at first and wanted me to take the rod, but with some encouragement and a 10minute fight on 10pound braid a 73cm Snapper came into the net! His biggest fish and only his second snapper (1st one was 30cm).
    One happy chap, and now nagging me to go get another,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Brisbane River Snapper.

Pure gold!

Best part of fishing is to see kids enjoying themselves and catching fish and a real bonus is when they outfish the adults.
    Cheers
    Ray

Great result. Looks like some solid results are already turning up after this latest flush.

Cuzza

Well done Tom!

Very impressive, well done to the young bloke.

Are fish like that common in the river?

Quote Originally Posted by Bremic View Post
    Very impressive, well done to the young bloke.

Are fish like that common in the river?
    Have caught a few squire in the river before but not big ones like that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ausfish Silver Member jackson4300's Avatar

That is a fantastic fish, congrats to the little fella for doing it all himself. That is only going to make the fishing bug worse.
    Great report, thanks for posting!

Well done young fella keep up the good work.