Thread: Rivnuts

Rivnuts

Sweet prezzie from the Mrs, a brand new Kingchrome Rivnut tool kit ( yep shes a keeper boys) any how not much experience with these bits of kit so i chucked a few in some scrap ali plate ....... Wow there must be a catch how good are these , no more screws or rivets for this black duck.

Anyone got any tips, tricks or traps for using Rivnuts. I am sure there are some thing to be aware of but the kit doesn't have a great of guidance or instruction am thinking that if installing into fiberglass paneling I should probable try some sort of sealing epoxy or sika flex to seal where the gel-coat has been penetrated.

any experienced fitters got any tips for using Rivnuts?

BigE

Re: Rivnuts

Yep. Make sure you don't cross thread them and make sure that if you are ever going to want to undo them, that whatever you screw into them won't react and seize - good idea to use some sort of lubricant anti seize compound. If this happens and the rivnut loses grip and starts to spin in the panel as a result of overloading attempting to get the screw out - a world of hurt and verbal abuse ensues (maybe that's just me though).

Yep agree Scottar.
    Only use them if you never want to undo them

Loctite anti-seize and plenty of it

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

Was thinking of using SS inserts with SS screws and some epoxy on the insert and panel.

not sure on anti seize on a boat (vibration) maybe with a locking washer.

Looking to mount brackets for EPIRB and Fire Ext and some electrical cable support.

BigE

BigE

Ausfish Platinum Member

Bloody useful, have mostly used ali but also have steel in the kit. Only drawback, if there is any, is that the thread is not quite flush when the rivnut is installed. "Could" be ok in fibreglass, but it would need to be fairly thick to get the required grip, I think??

Yes another +1 for the rivnuts, I've always known them as nutserts, that could be just a brand name though. I think they would be ideal for fibreglass and as mentioned by scottar use a anti-seize compound. The ones I use have a knurled like outer surface that helps grip onto plastic and fibreglass, not sure if all brand rivnuts are the same. I've never had a bad result yet, used them on sheet steel on the job and even in the plastic trim in my car to mount the UHF, no dramas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Put some in yesterday, drilled the hole and then put some epoxy on the rivnut stem and inserted and seated, really impressed with the usability and speed you can mount things, dont think I will be moving anything i have mounted so i hope the spinning insert issue won't affect me.

nice bit of gear, found some SS inserts online as well so this will work well with SS fasteners

BigE

Then are fantastic until (rarely) you get that one that spins, then they are a are pain in the ass to get the screw out of.

Make sure you have the right grip range for the thickness you are fixing into....make sure you have the right drill size as even a little to big and they can be loose...fixing into fiber glass if you can get behind put a washer on the back as it spreads the weight out and wont pull though....i use them on ssteel/ally posts for stainless wire balustrades no fun when you are putting in a couple of hundred into stainless posts lol