Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Water in hull. Help

Water in hull. Help

I've a 2000 model Seafarer V-Sea and I'm getting what I call a large amount of water in the hull (about 10 litres plus) - the outside bungs (see picture).

I have no cracks or splits in the hull, only a gel coat chip on the keel (forward) that shows glass and is the size of half a 5 cent piece (see picture).

I have a through hull transducer but nothing else that is through boat into hull area.

I keep scratching my head as to how it is getting in.

Any ideas ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Water in hull. Help

Where is the water - the centre area or in the buoyancy chambers? The usual suspects are bungs - check your O-rings/seals and possibly remove and re-seal the actual fitting, through hull fittings - check the sealant around the speedo hose, plumbing for live bait well or deckwash pumps, the area in the motor well where the steering and engine cabling comes into the hull, any skin fittings low in the engine well for bilge pump outlets/bait well drains etc, lower engine bolts (unlikely but not impossible) and from personal experience - the bow eye.

Start with bung housings, pull them out and re-fit or replace with plenty of 291

Just lower the front of the trailer and insert a hose in one of the bungs, mate.
    After a hundred litres or more is in there, take away the hose and put both the bungs in.

slowly elevate the front of the trailer with the jockey wheel to work the water aft. Any leaks in the hull will present themselves.
    Cheers
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Turn it upside down and sink in at least 10 meteres of water, dive down and look for bubbles, theres your leak.

Agree with all the above ( except the last one
    But how does it affect the boat ?
    Have you tried just going gently out to a nearby spot and anchoring for a few hours and then see how it looks.
    Rod holders, skin fittings, the cable access in the splash well, bait tanks , Fresh water bladder leak, rainwater. bow eye ( although I think this drains into the drained anchor well.) splash over the sides while youre doing Mach 2
    Seriously 10 litres is One good fish or a couple of bags of ice. It only makes a difference at the ramp.
    Try all the obvios things as above but I bet its not the hull.
    Cheers
    Brendan

Quote Originally Posted by tenzing View Post
    Agree with all the above ( except the last one
    But how does it affect the boat ?
    Have you tried just going gently out to a nearby spot and anchoring for a few hours and then see how it looks.
    Rod holders, skin fittings, the cable access in the splash well, bait tanks , Fresh water bladder leak, rainwater. bow eye ( although I think this drains into the drained anchor well.) splash over the sides while youre doing Mach 2
    Seriously 10 litres is One good fish or a couple of bags of ice. It only makes a difference at the ramp.
    Try all the obvios things as above but I bet its not the hull.
    Cheers
    Brendan
    Not causing a performance problem just can't work out where it's coming from. When I get home from this fishing trip I will remove and replace everything and then see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mate my advice is to replace one thing at a time
    standard diagnostic principle.
    you may get it first up.
    Maybe not.
    It might just elude you ( hows the seal from the thru hull)
    Cheers

As much as Shark Poker and Crunchy's methods will work, they are not something I would do with my own rig. Not a big fan of fresh water under the floor in glass/timber constructed hulls. I get a similar amount of water with mine - difference being I know where it comes from and simply haven't been bothered to fix it. My deck wash plumbing will leak when it is pressurized - either by the pump or running at speed with the sea cock open.

"bow eye ( although I think this drains into the drained anchor well.)"

That is what I though too Brendan until I spent a couple of days with my head in the hole in the bulkhead cutting out the wet bow block. There was the tiniest of cavities that drained to the front under bunk storage - they may not all have it depending on who glassed the timber block in and what sort of job they did. Mine is now full of epoxy.

$50 on Bungs / bung housings...(first taker only, just in case

Mate I hade the same problem for a while..I found it to be a hole in the Cnr of the anchor well which leaked into the front compartment of the boat. So while I was bobbing up and down the well was filling with water through the drainage hole I used to get about 10 litres a trip till I found it ....matey check this area out
    happy days ahead summer is coming

I would, and do, avoid all reseals and repair attempts until the leak has been clearly confirmed.
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    As much as Shark Poker and Crunchy's methods will work, they are not something I would do with my own rig. Not a big fan of fresh water under the floor in glass/timber constructed hulls. I get a similar amount of water with mine - difference being I know where it comes from and simply haven't been bothered to fix it. My deck wash plumbing will leak when it is pressurized - either by the pump or running at speed with the sea cock open.

"bow eye ( although I think this drains into the drained anchor well.)"

That is what I though too Brendan until I spent a couple of days with my head in the hole in the bulkhead cutting out the wet bow block. There was the tiniest of cavities that drained to the front under bunk storage - they may not all have it depending on who glassed the timber block in and what sort of job they did. Mine is now full of epoxy.
    I agree, I'm not a fan of filling hull to see if it leaks. I need to get down on floor with head aft and see if water from deck can seep down into hull through holes, bilge pump fitting, etc, etc

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Water in hull. Help

Quote Originally Posted by Shark Poker View Post
    I would, and do, avoid all reseals and repair attempts until the leak has been clearly confirmed.
    Probably a rash statement, but I will be further investigating before replacing/ reseal everything. Process of elimination is the way to go. It's just annoying not being able find the cause easily.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Try wrapping that white plumbers tape on your bung threads next trip. Wrap it in the correct direction or it will unravel as you screw the bung in. And make sure you are generous with it so it helps seal the outside washer.

I had a similar problem with a 10yr old Cruise Craft which had plastic bung housings. Turns out either the bungs or the plastic bung housings had worn threads.

Plumbers tape identified the problem. Then I installed 4 new metal bungs housings (with new sika) with new bungs and it was extremely dry after that.

Cheers
    Rod