Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suzuki 150 owners.

Re: Suzuki 150 owners.

Not sure if it helps you... I get 40knts on my 555HC with the 150 yammie spinning 17p prop @ 6000.

The hulls are amazing in chop man. I was outside the goldie today with 6 POBs and it handled the massive swells and wind perfectly for it's size.

Thanks Julian

Yammie will be spinning a different ratio gearbox so this will affect the speed.

BigE

now Mr E ,
    Lets make the assumption for a moment that both the yammy and the suzy 150 are exactly 150 hp and your prop slip is the same as his ( 5% as it turns out at WOT), then with the same hull you should be able to match that speed ( in theory)
    You would of course need to spin a 21 p prop to 6000 rpm (He only has a 2.0:1 reduction gearbox.)
    So you want to be able to hit the limiter with the 19 tomorrow ( or Whenever) then try a bigger prop if you can.
    Max Revs, Thats it.

( of course if your slip is less then you beat him back to the ramp)

In reality its the cruising grip and economy that"ll make you happy.

Cheers

Was a big rough offshore yesterday - boat handle it well but realistically we should have stayed in the bay.

the Suzuki hit the 20 hr mark and the gauge gave the change oil message so will take it in for the 1st service (($$)) , manage to give it a spin in close and she spins the 19 to 6000 no problem speed is 65kms @ 6000 so i think i will try a bit more prop. tail was a bit skatey in the rough down hill so maybe a prop with some more grip as well.
    Any thoughts /advice welcome.

BigE

Was 6,000 max, or did it have a bit more??

Quote Originally Posted by BigE View Post
    Was a big rough offshore yesterday - boat handle it well but realistically we should have stayed in the bay.

the Suzuki hit the 20 hr mark and the gauge gave the change oil message so will take it in for the 1st service (($$)) , manage to give it a spin in close and she spins the 19 to 6000 no problem speed is 65kms @ 6000 so i think i will try a bit more prop. tail was a bit skatey in the rough down hill so maybe a prop with some more grip as well.

BigE
    What do you mean by skatey? Is the prop blowing out at the top of the swell? or are you losing a bit of steering Downhill?

Quote Originally Posted by tenzing View Post
    now Mr E ,
    Lets make the assumption for a moment that both the yammy and the suzy 150 are exactly 150 hp and your prop slip is the same as his ( 5% as it turns out at WOT), then with the same hull you should be able to match that speed ( in theory)
    You would of course need to spin a 21 p prop to 6000 rpm (He only has a 2.0:1 reduction gearbox.)
    So you want to be able to hit the limiter with the 19 tomorrow ( or Whenever) then try a bigger prop if you can.
    Max Revs, Thats it.

( of course if your slip is less then you beat him back to the ramp)

In reality its the cruising grip and economy that"ll make you happy.

Cheers
    Mines only 5.5mtrs compared to BigE's. The 2200 is a 6mtr boat.

BigE
    Mate, your slip numbers look good.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mr E
    Was 6000 all she had?
    Bearing in mind less than ideal situation.

Ric Nolem Tenzing and Julian
    Conditions weren't ideal but it seemed to get to 6000 without to much fuss hard to gauge if it had much more in it in the conditions, but i don't think it would pull another 500 RPM.
    when i say skatey just unsettled running down hill not broachy just wobbley in the back ( have had the same feel in a Cat ). by down hill the swell was about 2.5 and the wind was in the opposite direction so coming down the front face was a bit of a ride at times if you mis-timed the chop coming the other way.

Rob Cam
    the slip figures don't surprise me 15.25 dia is a lot of bite, and the blade has a nice rake on it.

BigE

One thing I found with my Yalta was that you needed to trim the nose up when running with the swell as it tended to bow steer a bit.
    Remember to always log on before heading offshore.

For those following punched out 309kms for a burn of 173 ltrs (at the bowser) so we are looking at 1.78 km to the ltr

conditions were less than idea but not rough (15 - 20s) and i was moving up and down the revs from 3500 - 4500 rpm changing the rev range regularly as the engine only had 3hrs on it at the start of the run and is still not fully run in.

not bad but still short on where i wanted to be so i will get 20hrs on it and see if it improves and then if iam still chasing improvement i look at proping options.

Boat is excellent in a sea and carries a lot of trim in without hurting economy and uses it length well running best when trimmed flat as possible seems to have a incredible amount of lift from the planing strakes very efficient. we were runing 3 big blokes and all the gear to fish overnight.

BigE
    Figures look good to me BigE. I'm running a 151/4 x 19R SS prop on my 6.2 CC platey with 150 Suzie. Best performance was 58kph at 6100 rpm. Similar fuel consumption. Seas choppy with12-15 knots breeze from memory.

Mate you really need to do the prop test under test conditions to get a set of figures you can compare.
    If you dont hit the limiter on this length three blade , then you cant go to a longer prop, and you need to drop an inch or so off if you go to a 4 blade.
    you need to find some flat water and wind her right out.
    Trim it out in the process and see what it will really do.
    Maybe talk to solas and get a few to compare on the same day. They are really good to deal with
    Cheers

Tenzing

Will be doing a base line run after the 20 hr service with a few props
    Have the factory SS 19P prop and a mate has a alloy 21P prop i can try.
    Will see if I can rustle up any other props to try on the same day

BigE