Thread: Cyclone Debbie Blog

Re: Cyclone Debbie Blog

Pics from Abel point yesterday
    Attached Images Attached Images

another couple
    Attached Images Attached Images

1. Will be waiting for the final marbles to drop re the accounting. So what is the guesstimate at this time?

2. Abel point faired "reasonably" well then considering the circumstances and considering it's not all that sheltered from the north?

Good question. Would have to factor in sugar, small cropping, roads, flooding to the south, power, infrastructure, economic damage, buildings, boats, marine infrastructure. Unofficial estimates from people heavily involved at local government and insurance company levels I am dealing with daily are talking upwards of $8B?, maybe even double that. Will be for the bean counters to work out, all I can look at is comparisons to previous cyclones I have been around for the last 33 years

Abel point is a great marina and heavily upgraded over the last few years by new owner. The pic from the distance with the sunken yacht shows a lot of finger arms missing. Look at the height of the rock walls. This is a serious commercial marina.Every one of those finger arms had a boat attached to each side before the blow. O arm, where my boat is got away pretty undamaged but one finger let go and 2 big boats are up against the rocks at Penninsular. Other arms copped it worst. The main super yacht arm where the fuel wharf is, is badly damaged. I would assume it was the second half that did most of the damage when it came from the SW/NW

Quote Originally Posted by Tracker View Post
    You owe me a keyboard BiB.
    That'll be money well spent

First power coming on in Airlie Beach today. Still none at home but starting to fire up. 12 days is a long time for cold showers =(/ I hate cold showers

This you tube clip says it better than I ever can

https://www.facebook.com/daniel.schr...type=2&theater

Quote Originally Posted by kc View Post
    This you tube clip says it better than I ever can

https://www.facebook.com/daniel.schr...type=2&theater
    Barely a scratch eh SatNav

Ausfish Silver Member

follow the link on fb to wyfm,more pics there.
    If this bloke put the clip together after 4 beers and some lamb chops wonder what he could do if I slipped a bottle of bourbon and a tbone to him!

I'm currently doing a job in Mackay. Organising flights up Monday mornings and flights home to Brissy on Friday arvos. A few weeks back looking to book for Friday just gone, due to this weeks school holidays I couldn't get a reasonably priced flight any earlier than 9pm on the Friday night (fark that...) so instead I arranged for the missus to travel up here for the weekend and we'd stay in a nice joint in Airlie Beach.

These plans were made about a week before Debbie was even on the radar. We watched the drama unfold and right up until last Thursday considered cancelling our weekend away, but after chatting with our hotel we went through with our plans.

Drove up from Mackay Friday arvo and saw the landscape slowly degrade until we hit Proserpine and the devastation remained all the way through to the Coast. This was the fist time I'd seen in person what a Cyclone could do, and I've gotta say I'm very glad I didn't have to experience it first hand. The biggest thing that stands out to me is the trees, not so much those that have come down, but those that are left standing just don't have any leaves on them, completely stripped of foliage. This renders the entire area brown and barren because all you can see is trunks and branches, not what you'd normally associate with what should be a tropical/ sub tropical area.

Any places in town that had an open door were running off generators and mains power did not come on until late Saturday arvo. The vast majority of punters in the pubs and restaurants that were open are workers helping put the place back together. Not really the usual clientele that you'd expect in Airlie at this time of year, it should be alive with families for the school holidays along with the standard backpacker plague.

Shute harbour was smashed, boats washed up all over the joint, numerous masts sticking up out of the water in the middle of the harbour, the main wharf closed off. People climbing all over and through their grounded boats trying to salvage whatever they could. It really was heartbreaking.

Structurally the place seems to have faired very well which is really a testament to modern building codes and this is probably what has prevented loss of life at the end of the day.

I can't see how the place will be back to business as usual for a number of months yet. It really is going to be a long road.

News this afternoon that daydream Island is bring forward a refurb program and will now be closed until mid 2018. Big economic hit to suppliers and staff. The first of many I fear.

1. Include South Molle in that fear. So much for the building codes that some have been quoting but then Daydream and South Molle had full exposure. Airlie would probably look much like South Molle if it was in the sweet spot as obviously no building code can take a bettering for any great length of time. It may be hard to imagine by some but just image for a minute a full on Cat5 crawling through Airlie, not a good thought but highlights it could have been worse, much worse.

It seems the images being in shown in the media of South Molle are predominantly tin sheds, thatched roofed gazebos etc, old ones at that too because it hasn't been updated in 30 odd years, something the new Chinese owners were trying to remedy. Not really comparable to the majority of structures in Airlie Beach where Hutchies have made a fortune up there over the past 15 years or so building concrete bunkers. It was probably a good time for South Molle to be undergoing a redevelopment and be devoid to guests.

I lived on South Molle for 13 years. Last money spend on it was 1984 and the last 10/15 years it has been virtually abandoned and derelict. Maybe right Chips. It was purchased only a few months ago (how lucky is the former owner) and it will, in time, become another island to be rebirthed.