Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Cyclone Debbie Blog

Re: Cyclone Debbie Blog

No worries my end. Just a matter of perceptions...and actually living the experience

Just saw my first paper. Je..sus. hamilton island and then the spread of floods south. Deaths, floods, damage. Still without power but have water back. Very sad old town at present with a few things starting to get sorted. We stripped down our gennys and booted up so intend to get back open monday, just so people can get a hot feed and i can pay staff. Tough few months in front of us but bet the crabbing will be awesome =).

How did the marina fair. Did you find your boat?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

KC

Thank you for the real time blog. I understand that you are a bit stressed but from what I hear you continue to help as many people as you can.

The devastation caused by this mother of a cyclone can only be really appreciated by someone like yourself who is living through it.

I've been to Airlie several times and to hear that it's basically been wiped out is saddening to say the least.

My prayers go out to you and many like you that have been effected. Stay safe, stay strong as the road to recovery is likely to be long and bumpy.

As for this turning into a shitfight, well it hasn't.

As for SATNAV I could really vent here, but I won't. You are obviously the guy who believes he knows better than others, always finds a negative comment and must stir the pot.

Wherever you may live SATNAV, I'm sure if I walked into you local pub, you would be the bloke sitting in the corner alone as nobody has the time of day for you. Now drink your beer go home, read the paper and send nasty criticising letters to the editor.

Just leave the good people to do what they do best and take note of a previous comment made - IF YOU HAVE NOTHING NICE TO SAY, THEN SAY NOTHING AT ALL

To all the caring people on here that have comments, I'm bloody sure KC has appreciated each and every supportive comments. Thanks everyone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1. Some should try and stay with the discussion, those that want to rant about me then start your own thread if I am that important to you, lets just see who the negatives really are here.

Kerry loves fishing, the internet version, always looking for a bite. All should realize it for the smelly bait that it is and leave it alone

Sent from my ZTE Blade V580 using Ausfish mobile app

I've read this whole thread and have had an awakening to understand and respect class when I see it. Thanks for giving us the live version of events KC, I think you carry a big slice of the pie up there, more than you are prepared to admit , your businesses have sustained enormous loss, but you sacrifice so much to feed the crowds and keep them going. I salute you Sir! A question I have is when did the meter stop ticking in terms of damage? When Debbie was declared a tropical low/ rain depression? Its still on the March, to NZ. Persistent be-arch isn't she? That is if the low still has the name. I live in Logan, very close to the Logan river, wholly crap, rack up the damage bill and personal loss to so many.

Sent from my HTC_0P6B6 using Ausfish mobile app

No dramas guys. As the dust (and mud) are settling and the stress levels dying down it is just now eating the elephant, one bite at a time. Speaking to other local business owners, boat operators, day tour operators, one of whom last night gave me the low down on what has happened out on the islands and fringing reef, this is going to take some time. I have absolutely no doubt now that more powerful cyclones have hit the coast, and, at the same time think history will record this as the most damaging, by a factor of several times in terms of both actual cost and longer term economic impacts. I took a few pics at Abell Point marina this morning of sunken yachts and twisted marina arms and fingers. I will post them when I get some time. Hamilton and Hayman are trashed, daydream is uninhabitable . It a mess. Going to a tourism industry forum this arvo to see what is planned. All a bit overwhelming as the initial damage has sunk in and work started on the clean-up, the magnitude of the damage to our economy is manifesting itself along with the environmental damage it has caused in the short to medium term to our natural assets. In the mean time I have come up with a new marketing slogan. What d'ya recon. catchy?
    Attached Images Attached Images

1. Who am I?
    - I was a category 4
    - I was very small
    - I totally and absolutely destroyed Daydream Island
    - I eliminated basically all structures on South Molle
    - I totally destroyed everything at Shute harbour
    - I killed 14 people
    - I destroyed 85% of all houses at Airlie Beach
    - I wiped out 75% of Hayman Island infrastructure
    - I pretty much also cleaned up Hayman, Palm Bay resort and Hook islands
    - I unroofed and damaged 40% of all housing in Proserpine
    - I put sea water through shops in Airlie beach
    - I created the highest flood ever recorded in the Proserpine river
    - I am the one responsible for that wailing siren sound along with the goose bumps

Who am I?

Quote Originally Posted by SatNav View Post
    1. Who am I?
    - I was a category 4
    - I was very small
    - I killed 14 people
    - I am the one responsible for that wailing siren sound along with the goose bumps

Who am I?
    The greatest dick to ever put finger to keyboard.

That was a simple one.................................

Ausfish Silver Member

You owe me a keyboard BiB.

Cyclone Debbie Blog

1. Who am I?
    - I was a category 4
    - I was very small
    - I killed 14 people

Who am I?
    Really Kerry don't you get it , your constant point scoring to a bunch of people who I don't remotely care what you have to post is sad at best .
    You reAlly need to stop this rubbish buddy as it makes you look sort of weird , thanks for not sharing . Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

1, Obviously no takers on that one then Reality must not fit well with some.

2. Question for anybody who knows what they are talking about, Is Abel Point Marina in as good as nick as being portrayed (only 10 out of 500 boats damaged) or is this more marketing hype?

Give it up ########
    1, Obviously no takers on that one then Reality must not fit well with some.

2. Question for anybody who knows what they are talking about, Is Abel Point Marina in as good as nick as being portrayed (only 10 out of 500 boats damaged) or is this more marketing hype?
    Give it up Arsehole

Man Satnav. Still at it?. Cyclone Ada hit a little village of fibro shacks and flattened it. The seas/storm surge actually broke across the top of Palm Bay because it touched down at high tide and broke right across the low end of Daydream. The storm surge from this one appears to have hit Conway Beach, just to the South with all the beachfront homes hit hard, some destroyed completely. Judging by the damage to palm trees (as a reasonably consistent marker) it was a bit stronger than Debbie in terms of wind strength. The boat that was lost off Hayman left it too late to leave and got caught out, much poorer warnings in 1970. I once employed the wife of one of those lost at sea.Right back to when I started up here they used to jam them up the little creeks and lash them to the trees in cyclones. Old wooden boats back then, not modern high speed cats. My boat is in Abel point. An awful lot more than 10 are "damages" but only about 10 or so are totalled but most suffered damage, as did the marina itself with twisted and broken finger arms and gangways.Been down to Shute this morning for first time. Maybe 50 boats trashed at Shute, some up 50 meters into the trees and some sunk in the bay, including 1 big one off the end of where the Llyod Roberts jetty used to be. Don't know which boat it is, maybe Anaconda or Pride of Airlie but it is a big one. Have just seen the first pics off Hamo and it has copped a fair flogging. When Ada touched down, hamo was a grazing lease, and there were no marinas at all in the Whitsundays. I know you are trying to justify being a dick but the damage bill for this will dwarf anything which has ever hit Qld, in the main because of the wealth which existed here before it hit. Best sit and just watch the scoreboard in terms of what this costs. I know cost is only one measurement of damage, others are lives lost, and thankfully, a new town was built after ADA flattened the last one and the new building are all modern and strong. There were no pontoons at the reef back then either, cost of those alone will run to many millions. I am not sure what is to be gained from trolling. I've got a fairly thick skin, but, sitting here, still with no power on day 8, after the enormous resources being brought to bear, should be some indication of the damage this has done. I know the numbers will be eye watering and the business interruption insurance, carried by many of the bigger operations, will also impact on the final costs. What's the old proverb about being better to remain silent, and be thought of a fool, than open one's mouth and confirm it. Mate you have either been a DH on purpose to upset people or you are just plain ignorant of what has just happened. Nothing you are going to see or read can prepare you for the visuals. I went through Innisfail a week after Larry and Cardwell 2 days after Yasi. They just don't rate in terms of the costs of the damage done, mainly because there was, by comparison not much there to damage in the first place. The whitsunday's will bounce back and it will take us a while but it is thankfully a very wealthy well resourced town, and, in the main, well insured.