Thread: Centre Console project - outboard from the Sydney Boat Show???

Centre Console project - outboard from the Sydney Boat Show???

Hi all,

Currently fitting out an 18ft centre console project and am in the market for a new outboard in the 115-140hp range. Should be ready to fit a motor before the Sydney Boat show.

Has anyone bought an outboard from the boat show before?
    Are the deals worth waiting for or is it all relatively priced?

Any info would be appreciated
    cheers

Ausfish Platinum Member

Re: Centre Console project - outboard from the Sydney Boat Show???

IMO, most boat show "deals" are nothing special, although there may be rare exceptions. if you settle on exactly what you want, just do the rounds of the dealers of that model, and get your best price.

Yep, agree, while the boat show appeals to see lots of stuff in the one place, rarely is the price much better than you can buy at a dealer, remember that the boat show is simply dealers paying a huge amount of money to sell their goods, most offer boat show deals in their shop, and those that don't attend will match "special" prices anyway.

I was in the same situation (boat) as you last year and looking for the same size motor. After deciding on the motor my local dealer advised me to wait for the boat show and he could give me a better price as the manufacturer was going to put a big discount on for the show. This turned out to be true and the price was substantially cheaper. While I agree most boat show bargains are just hype, sometimes manufacturers do put on genuine discounts. Rob.

Thanks for the info mate,

what engine did you end up going for?

Quote Originally Posted by Fatfishfingers View Post
    Thanks for the info mate,

what engine did you end up going for?
    5.5m plate alloy centre console, I ended up going with the 135 merc 4 stroke. No regrets.

I just put a deposit down on a couple of engines for my cat in Queensland. All up was 3k cheaper on a pair of 115s while the boat show is on. I've been shopping around since Christmas and this was the best deal I've found.

I've been doing some shopping for a new Yamaha. Local dealer suggested that I wait for the boat show because they will have 'substantial' offers. I get the feeling he's referring to extras like fitting, controls etc. Probably still worth waiting unless some dealer dangles a big enough carrot in front of me. If any of you have bought from the boat show, what sort of waiting time for delivery?